Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Unable to Pull Vacuum on Cooling System (RESOLVED)

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Bought this...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BW39HJS/
...pissed away half a weekend fooling with the defective Venturi adapter.

Bought an actual vacuum pump and still had issues.
Wouldn't hold pressure or vacuum.

Found the source of the issue...
1639805780761.png
...That's the coolant overflow drain. Excess coolant that presses its way out of the spring-operated valve in the cap, drains down this slot.

None of the little adapters on the tool account for this.
I have perfectly sized O-Rings but there's no way to press the o-rings into that slot hard enough for them to seal.

The cap, seals on the inner-circumference rather than on the top-surfaces there.

May instead, require an adapter that looks more like this...
1639805922058.png

Before I go looking, has anyone already found and used such an adapter with their Fiesta?

That's weird, I used a tool a lot like yours and did not have any problem when changing my rad for the Mountune one.
1639834922796.png

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
The silicon/rubber adapters that came with my tool appear to be slightly different from the one in your photo.
1639839159845.png
They have a lip that prevents them from inserting too deeply or falling into the tank. The cone is simply too small to seal.

Yeah but if you seal on the biggest part, above the drain, you should be good. At least, that's what I did if I remember correctly. It's been 2 years since I've done it. And I did not check for the drain hole, but I assume it was present. Maybe I pushed the adapter down to the shoulder/drain hole and it sealed that way. I can't help you much, I'm sorry.

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Found this at my local AutoZone. Problem is presumably resolved. :D
https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...tools-radiator-and-cap-adapter-set/391377_0_0
1651462878454.png
1651462896307.png

EDIT 23y05m27d21h02m59s:
I can confirm that this adapter works perfectly. Vacuum and refill process is very quick. In fact, I had to slow the refill down in order to limit the suds from the coolant.

The manual simply has you pull the lower radiator hose (passenger side, underneath) to drain the system. On the scale of 1 ~ 10 difficulty, this is a 3... very easy/quick.

What you get out (about half) may be relatively little compared to system capacity... meaning you'll have to exchange the coolant much more frequently.

1685237581023.png

Last edited: