Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Definitive Cooling System Upgrades?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Oh and got to say this because its true . Silicone Hoses will weep water slowly. They are porous by nature.
So if you run Silicone coolant line hoses always keep an eye on your coolant levels and top off if needed.
THIS^^^ is what is giving me second thoughts on going with the Mountune radiator hoses when I swap out the radiator, and will probably just get the Motorcraft/Ford, or Conti EPDM hoses instead.

BTW; I CAN confirm the above as I had a set of Summit branded (made in Spain) silicone hoses on my Z28, and they absolutely 'wept', or 'sweated' coolant over time. [wink]

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #22
Bumping this for another question and an announcement

Black Friday deals are going on now. If you're in the market to buy a radiator, Mountune and Mishimoto radiators can both be had on sale now. Buy it or regret it later. I just bought the Mountune one.

Question:

With the new radiator, I want to run 60/40 water/coolant. I also would like to run water wetter but I've heard it gums up in the system or isn't compatible with Ford's orange coolant.

1. How much coolant do I need to refill the system?
2. Are there any issues with running a full bottle of water wetter?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

Black Friday deals are going on now. If you're in the market to buy a radiator, Mountune and Mishimoto radiators can both be had on sale now. Buy it or regret it later. I just bought the Mountune one.

Question:

With the new radiator, I want to run 60/40 water/coolant. I also would like to run water wetter but I've heard it gums up in the system or isn't compatible with Ford's orange coolant.

I think the system is 6.5 qts dry and I have been running a type of water wetter for 40k....coolant has had no issues gumming up!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club

Question:

These are both easily searchable, but it is fully compatible with all coolant types, is more effective with the less coolant and more water you use and you simply use the amount of additive it says to based on your coolant capacity, using too much is bad for gunking up and doesn't help.... also it's really a non-issue since you are getting the Mountune you really won't need it, it's almost double the capacity of the stock radiator.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #25
These are both easily searchable, but it is fully compatible with all coolant types, is more effective with the less coolant and more water you use and you simply use the amount of additive it says to based on your coolant capacity, using too much is bad for gunking up and doesn't help.... also it's really a non-issue since you are getting the Mountune you really won't need it, it's almost double the capacity of the stock radiator.
Thanks. Tried searching but didn't find much after sifting through several threads.

I'm sure it won't be an issue, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to add it (well, actually that's why I asked). I'm just super paranoid now about cooling temps and it gives me anxiety when I'm driving hard/uphill. I'd rather do whatever I can now that will help and never have to worry about it again.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thanks. Tried searching but didn't find much after sifting through several threads.

I'm sure it won't be an issue, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to add it (well, actually that's why I asked). I'm just super paranoid now about cooling temps and it gives me anxiety when I'm driving hard/uphill. I'd rather do whatever I can now that will help and never have to worry about it again.
You know, I just went to find it too and can't this time, I wish I remember where I saw it, it's not even in the install guide, weird... I could only find the fact that Mishimoto runs a little cooler because it's thicker and heavier but also has worse customer service if you need it. So, I do know stock radiator capacity is only 6.2L (6.55 Qt) - 1.0T is 5.5L and 1.6 NA is 5.8L so ST holds a bit more, but not enough. So if Mountune is like around 9 Qt. then 1 gallon of undiluted coolant will easily be enough living in San Dog, as low as only 33% coolant (Instead of 40%) you still get freezing protection down to 0 degrees F and the less coolant and more water and along with Water Wetter, the better it will perform... https://www.waynesgarage.com/application/files/7814/4070/9576/antifreeze_chart.jpg

So I would use 1 gallon of coolant, the rest water with 3/4 of a bottle of Water Wetter. According to the directions here: https://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/WaterWetter Tech Info.pdf
"One 12 ounce bottle treats 12-16 quarts of water or a 50% ethylene or propylene glycol solution. In smaller cooling systems, use 4-5 caps per quart"
So this would be half bottle of Water Wetter for stock rad, 3/4 for an upgrade. Again, this is assuming the Mountune is around 9 Qt, so you will be around 40%, you could easily get away using less than the full gallon of coolant actually.

Hope this helps man! Did you get the radiator on this 20% off holiday special?
(Sorry for all the edits, think I have everything right now, LOL)

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Hm - after my last trip to the dealer I noticed that my coolant tank is over the full line (when cold) - it wasn't before. I wonder if they stealth-fixed something. If the temp gets too high I turn on the AC to trigger the fan, otherwise I usually just go windows down no AC until its above 105.
I think they overfill them as a matter of routine now.