Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Depo Euro Style Headlight Woo's

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You are correct I have installed multiple headlights in different Vehicles. They are not better quality they are worse. Headlights that have rubber around them for example the aftermarket ones will deteriorate much faster. They will also yellow faster.
What rubber? The plastic quality is CLEARLY better on my Depo's than the factory reflectors, maybe not the $800 Euro ones, but the reflectors for the US market are just horrible all around. How many different Depo ones have you used personally?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
What rubber? The plastic quality is CLEARLY better on my Depo's than the factory reflectors, maybe not the $800 Euro ones, but the reflectors for the US market are just horrible all around.
Some headlights have rubber around them. Headlight quality is determined over a decade of time. Just because the aftermarket headlights have a shiny smooth plastic does not make them better. I guarantee you they don't have the UV resistance of the OEM light. I'm not discussing light output.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

What rubber? The plastic quality is CLEARLY better on my Depo's than the factory reflectors, maybe not the $800 Euro ones, but the reflectors for the US market are just horrible all around. How many different Depo ones have you used personally?
Dude, you don't need to die on this Depo hill. We get it, you like your Depos but please let this thread exist as a place to talk about this specific failure and not a place to argue over the quality of $400 cheap aftermarket headlights.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So, yep, there you go, the demand just isn't there with the FiST, I've noticed this on a number of items... But, at $355 shipped, it's not like they cost a lot and again, with the ones I got the quality is truly impressive. As far as shipping, They make one trip from Taiwan west to eastern Europe and then one more trip, also west, to America. So yeah, not as short as Taiwan directly, for sure, but not THAT bad, especially at the final price you pay. The black are a $200 premium though unfortunately, I just REALLY wanted projectors and the LED DRL over paying $200 more for black.
I think you misunderstood my comment. The comment meant that all Euro code headlights for BMW’s are glass . The O.E. Ones are HELLA and ZKW depending on the model. There are several knockoff replacement companies one of which is Depo . Depo is known in the BMW world are and the aftermarket lighting world as cheap knockoffs. People only use them because they are cheap but top notch lighting guys sneer at them. For good reason too because of some of which others have cited here with their Depos for Fiesta’s they are not OEM quality if they were Depo would be contracted by an OEM to make them they are not.

I will say this again at least in the Automotive lighting world you really get what you pay for. I would rather not buy something have to check it out to make sure it works and possibly have to ship it back for a defect. I make automotive products and I am fully aware there is no such thing as perfect on the assembly side of things. Though why would I want to buy something that would have to be shipped half way across the world to get a replacement? If its Amazon or in my backyard sure but long distance back and forth no.
I want to buy it and be reasonably sure its going to work and I don”t have to jump through hoops to deal with it.
Given reports here Depo has proven to be a hassle in my eyes.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Dude, you don't need to die on this Depo hill. We get it, you like your Depos but please let this thread exist as a place to talk about this specific failure and not a place to argue over the quality of $400 cheap aftermarket headlights.
It also shouldn't be thread for unchecked pitch fork bashing either, so let's move on... Getting back to the issue, I don't understand why the OP had to modify anything in the first place and hasn't even replied on why he did. Maybe the ones he got were somehow imitations or for the wrong model, I dunno, but something isn't quite right here.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I think you misunderstood my comment. The comment meant that all Euro code headlights for BMW’s are glass . The O.E. Ones are HELLA and ZKW depending on the model. There are several knockoff replacement companies one of which is Depo . Depo is known in the BMW world are and the aftermarket lighting world as cheap knockoffs. People only use them because they are cheap but top notch lighting guys sneer at them. For good reason too because of some of which others have cited here with their Depos for Fiesta’s they are not OEM quality if they were Depo would be contracted by an OEM to make them they are not.

I will say this again at least in the Automotive lighting world you really get what you pay for. I would rather not buy something have to check it out to make sure it works and possibly have to ship it back for a defect. I make automotive products and I am fully aware there is no such thing as perfect on the assembly side of things. Though why would I want to buy something that would have to be shipped half way across the world to get a replacement? If its Amazon or in my backyard sure but long distance back and forth no.
I want to buy it and be reasonably sure its going to work and I don”t have to jump through hoops to deal with it.
Given reports here Depo has proven to be a hassle in my eyes.
No, I understand that, and you're right, but it's also true that the true Bimmer snobs would never accept anything else than OEM, or at least a known German brand that speicifcally meets German standards, even in perfect quality, LOL... I'm just saying there isn't enough demand on the Fiesta/FiST in the states to justify a stateside importer, I wish there was! Depo are also known to use to keep costs down to help prevent totaling a car when you really don't want to. And lets face it, maybe the quality isn't 100% there, but you have to factor in labor cost too, it's simply much lower in China and Taiwan to make the same item in same quality, but I digress. I again accept the fact that the quality probably isn't 100% there compared to the expensive European labor made Hella's, but it's also likely that the OEM euro projector headlights are made to a higher spec than the base model cheap reflectors to begin with. I don't think the base models come with them, they only come on the higher trim Fiesta's and ST's, while here we are literally stuck with the same exact headlight as $13k base Fiesta. So in that regard, I think I got a little better quality than the base OEM headlights.

Last edited:
Why else would these euro headlights not end up in Europe. It's cheaper for them to be shipped to Europe (probably Germany)? And why would be these be stored in California when these aren't OE replacements for usdm STs?

Pretty weird reason to not buy something.

I can also post pics of the "awesome fit quality" of my stock headlights.

Who has had these and seen them yellow faster than stock headlights? I looked at a 2016 ST with 20k miles and had yellow and hazed over headlights.

Personally I'm not spending twice the money for oem when I can spend half and get something that works damn near well enough for me.

OP
Exceptions1187
Thread Starter #28
Honestly, I don't know why he had to change any connectors, the H7's clip right in as-is and all H1 LED's just need a $4 set of bulb holder clips. so to be fair, I absolutely love mine and highly recommend them, they are much better quality than the TYC aftermarket for sure for only $15 more each (~$140 vs. $125).
I changed them due to the excessive amount of wiring that would be left in the housing. Eventually, I want to hook up the leveling motor. The less wires just chilling in the housing, the less likely for them to bind something up.

The plastic quality is worlds better than the swirly garbage from the reflectors anyway, fit and finish are just about perfect on mine... To each their own, but 2 out of hundreds of people who have done this and have had no reason to complain isn't exactly a trend, but you also don't have to modify anything and keep your warranty, like I said I got great customer service too. To each their own, I'm not going to tel you what to think, just relate my experience and what I know for people to decide themselves.
The "Modifications" that i did is minor and just personal preference. Had no ill effect on the overall life span of the DRL Circuit board, as they are on their own circuit.

The Depo I have are definitely superior quality to the OEM ones, at least over our factory reflectors which are junk. Also, Depo has been around forever, they even are a favorite in the BMW community to avoid paying outrageous OEM costs. Don't take one story of how one had bad DRL's as anything remotely close to common, especially when I'm not sure why he had to modify anything to kill his warranty, the H7's clip directly in, that's why they call for an H7, they are a direct fit.
Well if you read the post, I said that I went to LED. LED H1 and H7 base. In which use a 9006 connector. This whole post isn't about how and why I changed the headlight connectors. This is about why the DRL went out and any sort of possible solutions. Stop beatin a Dead Cat.

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Why else would these euro headlights not end up in Europe. It's cheaper for them to be shipped to Europe (probably Germany)? And why would be these be stored in California when these aren't OE replacements for usdm STs?

Pretty weird reason to not buy something.

I can also post pics of the "awesome fit quality" of my stock headlights.

Who has had these and seen them yellow faster than stock headlights? I looked at a 2016 ST with 20k miles and had yellow and hazed over headlights.

Personally I'm not spending twice the money for oem when I can spend half and get something that works damn near well enough for me.
I have installed headlights for other people in several Vehicles. Aftermarket headlights have always deteriorated faster. This is my personal opinion and what I have witnessed. To each their own do what you wish with your vehicle I'm just telling you what I have observed.
This will be my last post, as this thread is about circuit board failure.

Last edited:
I have installed headlights for other people in several Vehicles. Aftermarket headlights have always deteriorated faster. This is my personal opinion and what I have witnessed. To each their own do what you wish with your vehicle I'm just telling you what I have observed.
This will be my last post and this thread is about circuit board failure.

I bought a tsx that had 1 depo headlight. Dumbass me didn't realize it wasn't oem and obviously the car had been wrecked (clean carfax rrrreeeeeee) but other than the word depo on it you had no idea it was not oem.

So that's also my observation. Lol at people shitting on these lights.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I changed them due to the excessive amount of wiring that would be left in the housing. Eventually, I want to hook up the leveling motor. The less wires just chilling in the housing, the less likely for them to bind something up.

The "Modifications" that i did is minor and just personal preference. Had no ill effect on the overall life span of the DRL Circuit board, as they are on their own circuit.

Well if you read the post, I said that I went to LED. LED H1 and H7 base. In which use a 9006 connector. This whole post isn't about how and why I changed the headlight connectors. This is about why the DRL went out and any sort of possible solutions. Stop beatin a Dead Cat.
OK, was just curious why you modified, I did read the post and I'm using Katana LED's as I sold the Morimoto that were originally gifted to me as other than nice OEM color they didn't perform that well overall according to BulbFacts projector charts (Katana 2800 lux in projectors, Morimoto 2300). Since both of these have a driver module with cabling, I'm still not seeing how modifying them saves any excess wiring, the amount of cable length from the housing is pretty minimal. If you REALLY want the least amount of cabling, the Hikari Standard have an internal driver, no external module, and are just as bright as the Morimoto in projectors. The motor leveling doesn't really work either, you can hook up the light control panel from a Euro car on a temporary basis to try to get them level, but the Depo has tons of manual adjustment already and you can't install the control panel without serious custom dash work. Maybe that's your plan but I've noticed they act like natural gravity leveling when not hooked up anyway, kind of pleasantly surprised at that!

OP
Exceptions1187
Thread Starter #32
Well, the driver side failed today... 5 days since being installed... At this point, considering opening them up myself and installing a new led bar... maybe a switch back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Man that sucks. I wonder if the black housing lights are any different inside or that you just received a bad batch all together.

OP
Exceptions1187
Thread Starter #34
Man that sucks. I wonder if the black housing lights are any different inside or that you just received a bad batch all together.
I'm just thinking I have a bad batch. It happens. Could of been a monday or friday pair... gives me opportunity to do more with them. Might as well put in the halo and demon eye ^_^

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The Ebay seller has been giving me the run around for a few months now regarding me returning the headlights.

First I went back and forth with them for weeks showing evidence of the LED strip not working, even going as far as recording a video of me swapping the headlights back and forth to show the issue was following the headlight and not a wiring problem. They finally agreed to have the headlights sent back to check if they can be fixed under warranty. Initially said they would be covering the shipping but once they saw that I was in the US they told me it was my responsibility to ship back. The return shipping was $150, and I was looking at best case scenario having of the repair or replacement being done within 2 months, not ideal. Next they asked me to take them to a electrician to have them fixed and they would cover the cost. You cant get anyone to look at headlights outside of retrofitters so here I am looking at a $400 bill to replace the LED strips with Dynamic Diode 12" switchbacks & the seller wont return my messages.

Making lemonade out of the situation an am having them retrofit G5-EX projectors while the headlights are apart. I should end up with a pretty nice set of headlights but this seller sucks (same seller as OP bought from) and I would not recommend buying these headlights unless you plan on fully retrofitting them.

OP
Exceptions1187
Thread Starter #36
The Ebay seller has been giving me the run around for a few months now regarding me returning the headlights. Making lemonade out of the situation an am having them retrofit G5-EX projectors while the headlights are apart. I should end up with a pretty nice set of headlights but this seller sucks (same seller as OP bought from) and I would not recommend buying these headlights unless you plan on fully retrofitting them.
Jesus christ, I noticed that all the seller wants me to do, is change the review. But I know that if, I change it, before a resolution is made, they go up into the wind. I told him no, im not changing it yet. They offered a 30% refund, thinking about taking it and using that for the bar. I should be able to split them open my self and do the upgrades... Just sucks to have to take the headlights off again and put my old ones back on.

OK, was just curious why you modified, I did read the post and I'm using Katana LED's as I sold the Morimoto that were originally gifted to me as other than nice OEM color they didn't perform that well overall according to BulbFacts projector charts (Katana 2800 lux in projectors, Morimoto 2300). Since both of these have a driver module with cabling, I'm still not seeing how modifying them saves any excess wiring, the amount of cable length from the housing is pretty minimal. If you REALLY want the least amount of cabling, the Hikari Standard have an internal driver, no external module, and are just as bright as the Morimoto in projectors. The motor leveling doesn't really work either, you can hook up the light control panel from a Euro car on a temporary basis to try to get them level, but the Depo has tons of manual adjustment already and you can't install the control panel without serious custom dash work. Maybe that's your plan but I've noticed they act like natural gravity leveling when not hooked up anyway, kind of pleasantly surprised at that!
I didn't want too powerful of a led in these projectors because I didn't know how well they would handle the diffusion of light. I wasn't expecting them to handle them pretty dang good. So in the future, I might upgrade to the Katana's. Right now, with the seller attempting to do damage control, its given me time to basically accept what I bought and attempt to make them worth my wild. From What I understand, they are far easier to open versus the OEM lights. Something to do about the type of glue they use to seal these lights. I'm starting to prefer the ECE light pattern vs the DOT. Just seems to open up road at lot more. In order to get to where I live and avoid the usual summer traffic, I have to take a lot of back roads. These lights should comfort me alot more, then what the OEM US spec reflectors did.

Last edited:
I got mine from koplx55 and he wanted me to have a mechanic say the light was bad when it wouldn't adjust. Lol I refused and ended up linking him a video I put up on YouTube showing it wouldn't adjust. He had me keep the faulty light and sent me a new one. I agree it was a huge hassle though.

If you bought through PayPal I'd use their buyer protection to get a full refund.

OP
Exceptions1187
Thread Starter #38
They offered 30% in the beginning. So im going to see if they hold up to their end of the deal. If they don't, I will go to paypal as I warned them.

They offered 30% in the beginning. So im going to see if they hold up to their end of the deal. If they don't, I will go to paypal as I warned them.
Honestly they should be refunding you the full amount but 30% is better then 0%. Btw my retrofitter told me they were sealed with permaseal which I believe is the more difficult stuff to split. They also have a rivet holding them together. I was running Hikari LED bulbs that overpowered the projectors and didn't distribute light very well. If you are thinking of swapping the LED strip your self I would definitely recommend upgrading the projectors as well.

OP
Exceptions1187
Thread Starter #40
From what I read, the Depo headlights don't have the permaseal on them. But I guess I will find out real quick.