Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DHM Fiesta Wheel Choice Help!!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
15" wheels have many benefits, lower weight being a top priority.
Lower weight improves acceleration, improves cornering grip by allowing the suspension to keep the contact patch on the ground better, improves braking, improves fuel economy and reduces wear and tare on the chassis. 15x8 wheels with 225 tires can weight as much as 10lbs per corner less than the stock setup, 40 pounds of unsrpung rotational mass is a huge savings.

17" wheels on this car with small fender area reduces tire width one can run, most wider tires are to tall and the ride is dramatically more harsh than on 15's.

15" wheels and tires cost less than comparable 17's as well.

I am a big fan of 16x8 wheels on this car as well, if not for the added gain of the 15's I would run 16's as they look perfect to me.

My wheel and tires, all wheels are 4x100 and roll formed which is the same as flow formed, etc, nearly as strong as forged wheels and nearly as low in weight but far less expensive.

*(4)15x9 Konig Helix 13.4lbs, $124 each, BFG 225/45/15 Rival S for street
*(6)15x9 Konig Helix 13.4lbs, $124 each, Toyo RA1 DOT race tires, 225/45/15 on all four corners
*(4)15x8 949 Racing 6UL,11.4lbs each, $159 each 205/50/15 Neo Gen AS tires, 31lbs per corner!
*(4)15x9 Konig Dial In 12.8 lbs, $119 each (selling)
*(4)17x7 Konig Feather, 16.8lbs well made cast, $99 each (selling)

Wheels sold:
(4)Stock wheels and tires, 293 miles on them
(4)15x9 Konig Dial In, one set left.
(4)16x8 Enkei FPR1, 14.8lbs, $219 each, returned to vendor to get the 6ul when I found a way to fit them over my BBK.

15" wheels have many benefits, lower weight being a top priority.
Lower weight improves acceleration, improves cornering grip by allowing the suspension to keep the contact patch on the ground better, improves braking, improves fuel economy and reduces wear and tare on the chassis. 15x8 wheels with 225 tires can weight as much as 10lbs per corner less than the stock setup, 40 pounds of unsrpung rotational mass is a huge savings.

17" wheels on this car with small fender area reduces tire width one can run, most wider tires are to tall and the ride is dramatically more harsh than on 15's.

15" wheels and tires cost less than comparable 17's as well.

I am a big fan of 16x8 wheels on this car as well, if not for the added gain of the 15's I would run 16's as they look perfect to me.

My wheel and tires, all wheels are 4x100 and roll formed which is the same as flow formed, etc, nearly as strong as forged wheels and nearly as low in weight but far less expensive.

*(4)15x9 Konig Helix 13.4lbs, $124 each, BFG 225/45/15 Rival S for street
*(6)15x9 Konig Helix 13.4lbs, $124 each, Toyo RA1 DOT race tires, 225/45/15 on all four corners
*(4)15x8 949 Racing 6UL,11.4lbs each, $159 each 205/50/15 Neo Gen AS tires, 31lbs per corner!
*(4)15x9 Konig Dial In 12.8 lbs, $119 each (selling)
*(4)17x7 Konig Feather, 16.8lbs well made cast, $99 each (selling)

Wheels sold:
(4)Stock wheels and tires, 293 miles on them
(4)15x9 Konig Dial In, one set left.
(4)16x8 Enkei FPR1, 14.8lbs, $219 each, returned to vendor to get the 6ul when I found a way to fit them over my BBK.
Would running a 16 or 15 while retaining the stock tire height compromise the turn in feel of the car by a noticeable amount?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Yes if not done right but not a problem or little change if done correctly.

1) pick tires based on their actual sizes, not posted on the sidewall
2) pick tires based on real performance testing or done by those with great experience to fit your needs
3) pick tires with similar performance characteristics to be a viable comparison
2) pick wheels wide enough to support the sidewalls properly

This car has electric steering though pretty decent feedback it will never be as good as manual or normal power steering, some of what is felt is the super low profile stiff sidewalls that react quickly to input but not totally accurate feedback. A slightly softer sidewall of a 15 or 16 can sometimes add to the feel of the car under you instead of just what the steering feels like, it is wise to pay attention to the butt feedback, thighs, etc, than just to steering feel, that is why race cars have little or no padding in the seats.

Example: A bit extreme for some but what I run and why.
15x9 wheels, 225 Rival S tires, proven to be 1 second faster by a many times national championship driver during an actual test on a 45 second course than on 8" wide wheels. The tires are known to have a bit more flex and less feedback than some other tires but huge grip, when put on a wheel to support the sidewall they work far better not just in grip but feedback as well. My 225 RA1 race tires on 15x9 work wonders as well and even faster. My Rival Setup has almost too much grip for canyon runs because being on the edge of adhesion is what is fun but to take them there the speeds are simply dangerous on public roads.

As always I will gladly help pick out the best solution for your needs, my focus is on the higher end of grip though I recently worked out the 15x8 setup with the NeoGen, the stickiest AS tire made as I needed cold weather tires and the Mich PS-3 AS in 17's rode like a brick, terrible ride and noise.

More info will help.
1) budget
2) AS, summer only, etc use
3) BBK plans or not
4) Autocross, HPDE, drag race(drag racing is not my interest so others would be more help, I have a lot of other racing and public road experience)
5) Timeline, how soon, a few more options are in the works, not many though.
6) Preferences as in 15 or 16", max width tire that fits properly on the wheels, color, etc....

Have a great day:)
Rick

2) pick tires based on real performance testing or done by those with great experience to fit your needs
3) pick tires with similar performance characteristics to be a viable comparison

This car has electric steering though pretty decent feedback it will never be as good as manual or normal power steering, some of what is felt is the super low profile stiff sidewalls that react quickly to input but not totally accurate feedback. A slightly softer sidewall of a 15 or 16 can sometimes add to the feel of the car under you instead of just what the steering feels like, it is wise to pay attention to the butt feedback, thighs, etc, than just to steering feel, that is why race cars have little or no padding in the seats.

15x9 wheels, 225 Rival S tires, proven to be 1 second faster by a many times national championship driver during an actual test on a 45 second course than on 8" wide wheels. The tires are known to have a bit more flex and less feedback than some other tires but huge grip, when put on a wheel to support the sidewall they work far better not just in grip but feedback as well. My 225 RA1 race tires on 15x9 work wonders as well and even faster. My Rival Setup has almost too much grip for canyon runs because being on the edge of adhesion is what is fun but to take them there the speeds are simply dangerous on public roads.

As always I will gladly help pick out the best solution for your needs, my focus is on the higher end of grip though I recently worked out the 15x8 setup with the NeoGen, the stickiest AS tire made as I needed cold weather tires and the Mich PS-3 AS in 17's rode like a brick, terrible ride and noise.

More info will help.
1) budget
3) BBK plans or not
4) Autocross, HPDE, drag race(drag racing is not my interest so others would be more help, I have a lot of other racing and public road experience)
6) Preferences as in 15 or 16", max width tire that fits properly on the wheels, color, etc....

Rick
Rick, I have a couple of questions and would appreciate your input based on the above so I can get away from stock
Budget up to $1400
AS
No racing just getting down the road in a hurry
Before the end of summer
Leaning towards 16's as a good compromise with stock suspension
Thanks in advance

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Rick! My car came with Michelin PS-3 AS, I wasn't crazy about it when I saw them instead of the Bridgestones but they're honestly much grippier than I had expected. You're right about the ride though it is harsher than expected but I personally don't mind it.

Quick background, my car is primarily a DD that I will probably take to a few autocross events and maybe one track day per year if that. The tires I was initially looking at was Ultra High and Max Performance Tires category, but I would like a stiffer sidewall so I may consider jumping into Extreme since my daily commute is actually pretty short distance.

1) budget: I'm in Canada so it's kind of hard to compare with US pricing, but I priced out a set of Sparco Assetto Gara in 16x7 for about $750 CAD. Tires I'm budgeting for about $650-700 CAD.
2) AS, summer only, etc use: Spring to fall use, I will be getting dedicated winter tires this upcoming winter. One day in mid Apr we had snow overnight and I almost ran into a curb lol
3) BBK plans or not: Most likely not.
4) Autocross, HPDE, drag race: Maybe a handful of autocross, minimal track time (maybe once a year)
5) Timeline, how soon, a few more options are in the works, not many though: was hoping to do it this summer, but I'm surprised by how much I like the Michelin PS-3 ASs and am considering getting a set for next spring instead.

More info will help.
1) budget
3) BBK plans or not

Rick

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I will get back to you guys on this in the evening as just heading out the door to put in another long hot day on the car mods I have to finish up so we can get back on the RVing adventure and finally get to some tracks, please be patient, I really want to help:)

Rick

Waterfan

Would running a 16 or 15 while retaining the stock tire height compromise the turn in feel of the car by a noticeable amount?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
I recently went from 17x7 OEM to 16x7 205/45-16 BFG SC2. I would be lying if I said there wasn't a SLIGHT and noticeable loss of turn-in response. The sense of remorse lasted no longer than the 3rd corner at speed as the weight savings, increase in grip and comfort for a daily driver all vastly improved my driving experience. Maybe if I bought a better tire (mine were only $80 ea) the turn-in would have been equivalent.