Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DHM Fiesta Wheel Choice Help!!

I recently went from 17x7 OEM to 16x7 205/45-16 BFG SC2. I would be lying if I said there wasn't a SLIGHT and noticeable loss of turn-in response. The sense of remorse lasted no longer than the 3rd corner at speed as the weight savings, increase in grip and comfort for a daily driver all vastly improved my driving experience. Maybe if I bought a better tire (mine were only $80 ea) the turn-in would have been equivalent.
I was actually looking at the BFG SC2 in that exact size and the same size wheels so your feedback is very helpful. Maybe if I go with something more aggressive like the RE71R or RS3 then it would mitigate the loss of response at turn-in. I actually don't want something that's so grippy because I want to maintain the fun nature of the OEM setup, I want to be able to hang the tail out a bit without driving at ridiculous speeds on the street.

Waterfan

I was actually looking at the BFG SC2 in that exact size and the same size wheels so your feedback is very helpful. Maybe if I go with something more aggressive like the RE71R or RS3 then it would mitigate the loss of response at turn-in. I actually don't want something that's so grippy because I want to maintain the fun nature of the OEM setup, I want to be able to hang the tail out a bit without driving at ridiculous speeds on the street.
FWIW, RS3s were my first choice, but I could not get them locally at a "decent" price. If "money no object", the RE71s look awesome as well.

I love my SC2s as much as I do because they do everything I want for DD/Canyon runs and were dirt cheap.

Other data contributing to the difference I felt (maybe?):
-I got my FiST used with 18k miles on the original tires, I have recently wondered if the lack of tread contributed to the "hummingbird-like"* turn in
-I ran my OEMs at 42/40 psi Front/Rear. (Pressures on the high side also contribute to turn-in feel?)

*term stolen from another forum member whose name escapes me.

FWIW, RS3s were my first choice, but I could not get them locally at a "decent" price. If "money no object", the RE71s look awesome as well.

I love my SC2s as much as I do because they do everything I want for DD/Canyon runs and were dirt cheap.

Other data contributing to the difference I felt (maybe?):
-I got my FiST used with 18k miles on the original tires, I have recently wondered if the lack of tread contributed to the "hummingbird-like"* turn in
-I ran my OEMs at 42/40 psi Front/Rear. (Pressures on the high side also contribute to turn-in feel?)

*term stolen from another forum member whose name escapes me.
I got mine used as well, but only about 10k miles on it with the all seasons. Really wish they came with the Bridgestones instead but not the end of the world.

I'm trying to keep costs down for this car, unfortunately my toy budget isn't what it used to be now that I have adult responsibilities like saving for a house.

Interesting that you ran higher pressure on the tires, I thought the OEM PSI of 39F 36R was already pretty high.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The SC-2 is a very wide tire but it seems has a fairly stiff sidewall thus works pretty well on a 7" rim but would still be better on a 7.5 or 8" wide one.

They are not the all out highest performance tire but a very good tire with longer tread life, depending on use and maintenance, a very good value for those that are OK with giving up a bit of grip for the savings which can be considerable as they cost much less and will last longer as well, in the end maybe half the real price of the super grip tires over time, or even less!

Going from stock rubber bands to wide 16's on a relatively narrow rim and not noticing that much change in turn in would indicate a stiffer sidewall, enjoying the added all around performance and ride improvement is the biggest reason for low weight wheels and tire setups.

The Bridgestone are not at the top of the heap in performance tires, the Mich PS-3 AS is one of the top AS tires and as fast as some summer only tires, rides like a dump truck but so do the Bridgestones.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club