Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Did you know your Fiesta ST could.....("secret" features thread)

I just don't need it, never did; I've been driving standard for 49 years (I'm 63).

My driveway is on a slant, so when it comes back on, that short failure to roll back irritates the hell out of me.
You started driving when you were 14? I'm 64 and I've only been driving for 47 years. [biggrin] Never had anything other than manuals, and this is my first car with any sort of hill assist and I kinda like it.

Never found it to hold past where it should, and don't notice any difference in clutch feel. As Intuit said above, personal preference.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
for people new to driving a stick, i can see how Hill Start Assist is a godsend. i can also see how people that have been driving stick for years can find it annoying. to me it's like a new technique to learn, and it's mildly annoying and sometimes it makes my starts even less smooth, but i still leave it on.

also, i wish the turn signal thing flashed 4 times instead of 3, and i really, really, REALLY wish there was a louder "click" when the turn signal is on!

I also have a lifetime experience driving manual trannies, and prefer the hill assist to the old emergency brake method.
Wouldn't have a problem reverting back to the old method if drove a vehicle without hill assist.
Disclaimer:
We don't have a whole lot of hills in the Detroit area (at least where I drive) so this feature is seldom used by me. But still appreciated.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I am another long time manual transmission driver, with 44 years of experience owning nothing else, and I also find hill assist to be helpful. If I drove a car without it I'd also have no problem going back to the old emergency brake method. I like the ST clutch feel, and don't think it detracts from it.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Two reasons for me. It made it difficult to learn the true "friction point" for the clutch. On an intermittent basis, it also seems to hold the vehicle slightly longer than is necessary, potentially increasing clutch wear. To add a third reason, just chalk it up to "personal preference". One less nanny feature... [wink]
Friction point for sure- it makes it really tough to learn the engagement point with any consistency. I also feel like it robs drivers of the ability to learn how to do it properly.

Friction point for sure- it makes it really tough to learn the engagement point with any consistency. I also feel like it robs drivers of the ability to learn how to do it properly.
I'm not tying to be clever or perverse here, but the engagement point of the clutch for any given car ought to be the same using hill assist as if you were using the handbrake method, the one millisecond shuffle between brake and clutch method or rolling backwards toward the old lady in the Buick who is blaring her horn. Hill assist cuts the brake when you are on the gas enough to move the car forward up the hill, so should also help prevent stalls and the like.

However, if you are saying you don't think the system works as designed, then that could go a long way towards explaining why some like the feature and others don't, as it implies that in some of our cars it doesn't work correctly.

I found out that when listening to Sirius radio, it records the stream so you can pause or rewind the stream. Click the replay button to use it. Can also set alerts by artist, pretty cool.

Hill assist???? The "old emergency brake method"????

I do this thing where I coordinate the release of the (foot)brake with the engagement of the clutch and application of throttle.

Works every time for me, no matter how steep the grade. I've never bothered with either of the other methods.

Gotta check out the penholder; I keep a pen in there, but I keep losing it!

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I'm not tying to be clever or perverse here, but the engagement point of the clutch for any given car ought to be the same using hill assist as if you were using the handbrake method, the one millisecond shuffle between brake and clutch method or rolling backwards toward the old lady in the Buick who is blaring her horn. Hill assist cuts the brake when you are on the gas enough to move the car forward up the hill, so should also help prevent stalls and the like.

However, if you are saying you don't think the system works as designed, then that could go a long way towards explaining why some like the feature and others don't, as it implies that in some of our cars it doesn't work correctly.
It continues to “hold” even after you’ve entered the friction zone of the clutch so I can’t feel the true engagement point. Perhaps, ultimately, I don’t like anything that modifies the actual mechanical function or feel of the vehicle. I went many years without stalling a manual (that includes some time in San Francisco with those hills!) but I bought my Abarth, my first car with hill assist, and stalled it a few times a week until I figured out I could disable it. The fiesta is a little different, it still holds after the initial bite of the clutch but it still feels odd.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
It doesn't hold. It releases as soon as you give it gas or let the clutch out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oh, I wish I had ever had a Vincent. My reply to erm, whatshisname's post was more in line with what you drove before you were really entitled to agewise. I got away with a lot of things, but my downfall was driving my (older) mate's Velocette Thruxton, which he couldn't admit to lending me as that would have been illegal on his part, and ending up with a 1 year driving ban.

This is a bit off topic, but after I reset my TPMS earlier this week, my car will "chime" three times every time I shut a door regardless if it is locked/unlocked etc. The lights are on auto, so I really can't deduct where this "hidden feature" came from.

Anyone have this happen to them?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Oh, I wish I had ever had a Vincent. My reply to erm, whatshisname's post was more in line with what you drove before you were really entitled to agewise. I got away with a lot of things, but my downfall was driving my (older) mate's Velocette Thruxton, which he couldn't admit to lending me as that would have been illegal on his part, and ending up with a 1 year driving ban.
I only posted the Thompson song because that was the very first time I've ever heard the term "motorbike" used, but yeah, they are the unicorns of scoots. [wink]
GREAT tune though, from one of my FAVE Brit singer-songwriters ever (just listen to that finger picking, it sounds like more than one guitar). [:)] [like]

Intuit

3000 Post Club