Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Did you know your Fiesta ST could.....("secret" features thread)

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
the rear windows not rolling all the way down is almost always a mechanical limitation, not a design feature. if you look at the shape of the rear door (on the FiST or any vehicle whose windows don't roll all the way down), you'll see that the shape of the door simply does not allow the window to physically roll all the way down.

This sounds like it would be contrary to NHTSA laws/regs, since it would allow a child to do exactly what your daughter did, and open the door while the car is MOVING (or is it rendered totally non-functional when the car is moving? {I HOPE!} [dunno]).

It just seems strange that we have rear windows which cannot roll all the way down, and then they put something like this in as a function. [???:)]
Perhaps. We were sitting still with the car off. I'll have to try it when the car is running and see if the results are the same.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No, child safety stuff was not engaged. My youngest is 13, not really a need for it now. They've survived this long... lol
Do you really wanna test natural selection with a teenager and give them that opportunity? When I was 13 I liked to push the limits given the chance....still question how I survived sometimes...just food for thought.... Raising children is like taking care of little drunk people....IMO....think about it for a second. Tell me if I'm wrong here...God Speed.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Don't our doors automatically unlock when you turn off the car?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It just seems strange that we have rear windows which cannot roll all the way down...]
The reason the rear windows don't roll all the way down is because there is not enough room for the glass to drop all the way. WHY there isn't enough room, or rather why the room was not designed into the door, is a topic that usually leads back to the studio.

This is about 50/50 on topic for this thread, but I get pretty frustrated that I can't turn on the recirculating air flow when in defrost mode. I hate it when there are noxious fumes coming from some vehicle in front of me and I can't do anything about it if I need to defog my windshield as well.

Is there any hack for this?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The reason the rear windows don't roll all the way down is because there is not enough room for the glass to drop all the way. WHY there isn't enough room, or rather why the room was not designed into the door, is a topic that usually leads back to the studio.
OK THANKS to all who pointed this out, as I have never really looked at/studied the design logistics of our rear doors/windows, and took for granted that it was a NHTSA law for child safety or such. ;) [thumb]
(Yet another reason I like the Euro/R.O.W. 2 door FiST over ours, even though most on here want/need/appreciate those rear doors.)

Intuit

3000 Post Club
This is about 50/50 on topic for this thread, but I get pretty frustrated that I can't turn on the recirculating air flow when in defrost mode. I hate it when there are noxious fumes coming from some vehicle in front of me and I can't do anything about it if I need to defog my windshield as well.

Is there any hack for this?
I've had on floor vent, defrost and recirculate simultaneously.
Whether "max defrost" allows it I don't recall, but seem to remember that max vs regular defrost has different restrictions.
For regular defrost I believe it depends on what order you press the buttons in.
Try activating defrost first, then floor vent, then recirculate.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
This sounds like it would be contrary to NHTSA laws/regs, since it would allow a child to do exactly what your daughter did, and open the door while the car is MOVING (or is it rendered totally non-functional when the car is moving? {I HOPE!} [dunno]). ..................................
This is a good opportunity to remind people, that they should have a window breaker tool in their car. (xmas gift?) https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ps&field-keywords=window+breaker+tool+for+car

Not specific to Ford, there were situations in past years where people would get trapped in their car after hitting a body of water (like a lake) because the door locks shorted out. Memory serving, they incorporated a mechanical unlock function in later model years that allowed people to exit the vehicle even after the electronics "lost" power.

Power locks or not, it's normal for cars to allow a door to be opened at speed. The doors will at least, auto-lock above 10mph.

Ever notice, the single-press to stop the engine doesn't work above creepy-crawl speed? (you have to hold the button for a considerable time) I'd imagine that the door locks could function the same way.... but... how does this then jive with the supposed mechanical override? Is the mechanical override only for the front doors? That wouldn't make sense either. Panicked passengers aren't necessarily in a position to crawl up front (over the dying driver) to get out. It is possible to engineer a mechanical override that would disallow opening when the ECU is registering above a given speed. But given that wet circuits are known for unexpected behaviors, how could you make that fool proof and at a reasonable cost?

neeqness

1000 Post Club
What are the push in black tabs in the rear hatch for? They are right above the shopping bag clips kinda part of the trunk cover lid. I for the life of me think of what it's for. Probably nothing but I have to know haha
To hold the trunk floor piece up while looking for or loading things there. Really useful if you ever end up needing to pull that spare tire out.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I've had on floor vent, defrost and recirculate simultaneously.
Whether "max defrost" allows it I don't recall, but seem to remember that max vs regular defrost has different restrictions.
For regular defrost I believe it depends on what order you press the buttons in.
Try activating defrost first, then floor vent, then recirculate.
Agreed.

It also works if you turn on floor vent first - then recirc and defrost after or defrost and recirc after.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This is a good opportunity to remind people, that they should have a window breaker tool in their car. (xmas gift?) https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ps&field-keywords=window+breaker+tool+for+car

Not specific to Ford, there were situations in past years where people would get trapped in their car after hitting a body of water (like a lake) because the door locks shorted out. Memory serving, they incorporated a mechanical unlock function in later model years that allowed people to exit the vehicle even after the electronics "lost" power.

Power locks or not, it's normal for cars to allow a door to be opened at speed. The doors will at least, auto-lock above 10mph.

Ever notice, the single-press to stop the engine doesn't work above creepy-crawl speed? (you have to hold the button for a considerable time) I'd imagine that the door locks could function the same way.... but... how does this then jive with the supposed mechanical override? Is the mechanical override only for the front doors? That wouldn't make sense either. Panicked passengers aren't necessarily in a position to crawl up front (over the dying driver) to get out. It is possible to engineer a mechanical override that would disallow opening when the ECU is registering above a given speed. But given that wet circuits are known for unexpected behaviors, how could you make that fool proof and at a reasonable cost?
ONE of the reasons (besides possibly less weight than the electrics, and one less thing drawing current and able to burn out over time) that I like crank windows, and actually had to (and was actually able to back then) ORDER my 2000 Z28 with them from the factory. [wink]
(But then I also ALWAYS had coupes, so yes, I could see rear crank windows being a MAJOR PAIN in a 4 door car.)

One can HEAR the door locks click as soon as moving over whatever that threshold speed is (10 MPH or other wise, I never really took notice).

I like the usability of having all four doors to stow things or people (on occasion) in the backseat of the car but I'd probably rather have the styling benefits of the hatch 3 door. Especially if it had a power lift gate that was quick to boot.

It's nice to have power rear windows STANDARD on a fiesta though so I can't complain

I really am starting to think that our climate control system has a barometer. I always set the temperature and keep the system on automatic mode. Tonight, I checked the weather after noticing that the a/c turned on automatically and the humidity was at 71% and it wasn't raining out. 95% of the time, when the system is heating up the cabin, the a/c isn't activated. Perhaps it has nothing to do with using the windshield wipers after all.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
This isn't really a secret per say, but in settings you can keep your SYNC 3 in night mode all the time, so it has the black theme instead of that weird blue. It fits better in the interior in my opinion.