Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DIY Spotless Rinse System

slopoke

All of you with dark colored cars know that water spots show up easily, even if you have a water softener, you still get some spots. Quite a while ago, I came across the CR Spotless system. It uses a mixed bed DI resin to remove most of the TDS (total dissolved solids) in the water. I decided to research component prices and see if I could build one cheaper. The single 4.5X20" system costs roughly $300.00 and damned if I was going to pay that much.

I was able to source parts at half the cost of the CR Spotless unit, which is a DI-120. I decided to use the system just to rinse, not for washing, so not to use up the DI resin up so fast. Using the calculator on the CR Spotless website, It's estimated that I will get roughly 30 rinses from it, not bad. My method of washing is use soft water with a gas powered pressure washer to knock off as much of the dirt and grime as possible, hook up the foam cannon to apply the soap then wash with mitts. Then do the first rinse. Switch to the DI system to do a final rinse. I tried it out today and it works rather well. You don't have to dry the car, but I use a leaf blower to get most of the water off.

My setup uses a hose splitter with individual shut off valves so I can choose soft water out of my water softener or DI water. I even was able to add a TDS meter and still come just under half of what I would have paid buying a CR Spotless system.

20190506_173648.jpg

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Parts list.....parts list....parts list! Noice Ed! Reminds me of the Mr. Clean Autowash from a while back! I dream of those spotless days!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Remids me, I gotta wash mine. She's been collecting garage dust.

2017 Magnetic FiST w/Recaros

OP
slopoke

slopoke

Thread Starter #4
Parts list.....parts list....parts list! Noice Ed! Reminds me of the Mr. Clean Autowash from a while back! I dream of those spotless days!

OK Aaron, here you go.

Parts list for basic system.

4.5 X 20” Filter housing (typically called a “Big Blue Filter Housing”)
DI resin cartridge direct from CR Spotless, cheaper than buying a refillable cartridge and filling it with resin.
2ea male NPT to ¾” slip fitting.
2 short sections of ¾” schedule 40 pvc pipe.
1ea ¾” female slip to ¾” female hose thread fitting.
1ea ¾” female slip to ¾” male hose thread fitting.

If you want to add a TDS meter get the following.

TDS meter with ¼” probes.
Instead of the fittings I listed above to connect a garden hose to the unit get the following.

2ea pvc T fittings.
2ea pvc slip fit bushings with ½” female NPT to fit into the top of the T fitting
2ea 1/4” female push to connect with male NPT fittings. These screw into the bushings above and the probes fit into these. I had to drill from the NPT side using a ¼” drill bit to allow the probes to fully seat into the fitting.
2 ea male NPT to female slip fittings.
2 short sections of schedule 40 pvc pipe.
1ea female slip to ¾” female hose thread fitting.
1ea female slip to ¾” male hose thread fitting.

I did not want to unhook the soft water hose from the pressure washer and change to the DI system so I added a splitter so all I have to do is hook up one end to the water supply and using the shut off valve, select non treated water to wash and then shut off the non treated valve and then open the valve going to the DI filter. If you want to do this, buy the following.

12 foot garden hose.
2 female fitting hose menders.
2 male fitting hose menders.
Hose splitter.
1ea ¾” NPT threaded T fitting. Make sure all three ends are threaded.
2 ea ¾” NPT short male double ended nipples
1 ea ¾ “ NPT to ¾” male hose thread fitting.
2 ea ¾” NPT to ¾” female hose thread fitting.

If you look at the photo, you should be able figure out how these parts go together. I was able to get a killer deal on the filter housing. It’s regularly $50.00 on up, but I found one on Ebay and it was $30.00 shipped. If you end up paying normal prices for the housing, it’s still cheaper than buying one from CR Spotless or other brands out there.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This will be my next Car wash project!

Last edited:

XanRules