Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Downpipe install turned into a huge oil leak…

OP
Xternali
Thread Starter #22
Who told you that you would be fine? That person should NEVER GIVE AUTOMOTIVE ADVICE! EVER!
My cousin-in-law who I now realize isn’t the brightest with diagnosing a problem, and I’m neither the bright one since I’ve recently taken on the hobby of cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Xternali
Thread Starter #23
Just my opinion, but you shouldn't even attempt to have Ford pay for YOUR mistake.

I know, it sucks.
It’s not Ford paying it’s the dealer. I paid out of pocket for the warranty so I feel I should at least get my moneys worth. Ford’s Drivetrain warranty for my car expired about a week ago and more than likely they wouldn’t have covered it anyways.

It’s not Ford paying it’s the dealer. I paid out of pocket for the warranty so I feel I should at least get my moneys worth. Ford’s Drivetrain warranty for my car expired about a week ago and more than likely they wouldn’t have covered it anyways.

Maybe I'm the minority here but at the risk of sounding like an ass: f*** Ford. And if your dealerships are anything like the ones here, f*** them too. I've seen them screw/try to screw enough people over that I wouldn't feel the least bit bad.

I say go through with your plan, put it back to stock and give it a shot. Worst case they say no, you look a little dumb and you have to pay out of pocket (the last two points are already a given right now). I'm rooting for you.

Last edited:
OP
Xternali
Thread Starter #27
Maybe I'm the minority here but at the risk of sounding like an ass: f*** Ford. And if your dealerships are anything like the ones here, f*** them too. I've seen them screw/try to screw enough people over that I wouldn't feel the least bit bad.

I say go through with your plan, put it back to stock and give it a shot. Worst case they say no, you look a little dumb and you have to pay out of pocket (the last two points are already a given right now). I'm rooting for you.
I appreciate it, I’m working with the most “reputable dealer” in the small city I’m in. I did talk to Ford and yeah they did it tell me to F Off. Basically they said they’re booked until October. Funny thing is I already made an appointment with them a week ago for my EVAP lines and they got my in late July for that. Dealership mechanic told me the warranty will cover it as long as I didn’t “Rally my car” it’s a common thing for people up here to buy WRXs, Evos, and STs and rally them which I understand. Car hasn’t touched anything except asphalt though [emoji1417].

Sam4

I've got front pipe problems, and am reading this with specific interest. I don't think you can refer to anyone as a "cousin-in-law", they're not related to you, and you CAN safely marry them. Having actual sex is more dangerous though, because I believe there may be guns available in Anchorage.
I've been hosed by Ford, but nothing I put my hands on (tranny bearings). I think if you touch a bolt - all bets are off. If you pulled an oil line - *poof*- gone brother. Harsh, but there has to be consequences. "I didn't know" can't always work......

If they see oil all over the engine bay near the line you left disconnected they will know that caused the issue so make sure you clean it very well. I agree with @The_Ryan, F em. Dealerships screw people over every day.

The downpipe is a relatively difficult job on this car. If you're new to this hobby you should start on smaller jobs like oil changes, spark plugs, basic modifications, etc. Research what's required first, push your skill level a bit but also don't get in over your head or stuff like this will inevitably happen. Youtube is a great resource, specifically Auto Repair Guys. Good luck!

OP
Xternali
Thread Starter #30
If they see oil all over the engine bay near the line you left disconnected they will know that caused the issue so make sure you clean it very well. I agree with @The_Ryan, F em. Dealerships screw people over every day.

The downpipe is a relatively difficult job on this car. If you're new to this hobby you should start on smaller jobs like oil changes, spark plugs, basic modifications, etc. Research what's required first, push your skill level a bit but also don't get in over your head or stuff like this will inevitably happen. Youtube is a great resource, specifically Auto Repair Guys. Good luck!
I do agree I was a bit in over my head, I used YouTube aswell but it turned into a 2 day job of us putting our 10 brain cells together to do it. I appreciate the advice though. I at least have the experience now to know certain things like triple checking, how to put a downpipe in, and don’t drive on an oil leak. You’re right about the dealerships though.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I do agree I was a bit in over my head, I used YouTube aswell but it turned into a 2 day job of us putting our 10 brain cells together to do it. I appreciate the advice though. I at least have the experience now to know certain things like triple checking, how to put a downpipe in, and don’t drive on an oil leak. You’re right about the dealerships though.
There was a time I didn't know how to change oil or repair a flat - we have all been there.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
If its an aftermarket warranty they might cover it, but don't hold your breath. Start looking for an engine yourself just in case.

Also its going to be more than an engine. It'll be the long block (block & head assembly), and a turbocharger. When mine shit itself and got covered by Ford, the "bill" was just shy of 11k. Not sure how much / what your warranty covers but you may have to pay some out of pocket, unless they're installing a used engine.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I wish you would come see me with that attitude ao my service manager could tell you to kick rocks after you asked to speak to him cause I told you to kick rocks lol. People

jeff

2000 Post Club
Man this is depressing. Props to you for trying to do it yourself, but never fight a land war in Asia when death is on the line. These are the sort of things that teach us when _not_ to get in over our heads. In hindsight it's a difficult job and you guys probably shouldn't have taken it on. Ford is not responsible to fix/pay for this, you are, there's just no other way to put it. If it's any consolation I've done some doozies in my time and sometimes you don't learn except by failing, been there.

Good luck with the repair and stay in the shallow water for now!

OP
Xternali
Thread Starter #37
Just an update which I don’t think anyone minds to hear but I moved my car from the dealers shop to a different that specializes in performance mods and motor rebuilds. I’m paying out of pocket which I was 90% sure I was doing to begin with but it is what it is. I’m getting a mountune block put in and an upgraded turbo with the bolt Ons I’ve already bought. Hopefully the turn around is worth the money. The shop is reputable and has built some pretty nice builds. Dealership wanted to charge over $9k for a used motor/install with more miles I was hoping to hear. I appreciate all the advice and the pointers to find my problem even though I gave little info.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just an update which I don’t think anyone minds to hear but I moved my car from the dealers shop to a different that specializes in performance mods and motor rebuilds. I’m paying out of pocket which I was 90% sure I was doing to begin with but it is what it is. I’m getting a mountune block put in and an upgraded turbo with the bolt Ons I’ve already bought. Hopefully the turn around is worth the money. The shop is reputable and has built some pretty nice builds. Dealership wanted to charge over $9k for a used motor/install with more miles I was hoping to hear. I appreciate all the advice and the pointers to find my problem even though I gave little info.
Good luck with that.

They are extremely hit or miss.

Shoutout to you for coming back with the update. The saga continues!