Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ecoboost Intake Valve Carbon build up ?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Different block, headifold, different everything else. I guess I consider it different because of the fact that it's physically nearly 100% different as opposed to considering it the same because it's only similar in theory. It's like you saying that the K03 is the same as the KP39 because they're both turbos and made by Borg Warner.

I shouldn't even have to explain this.
So... You have 2 oranges.... One is large. One is medium. The large one and the medium one have a few green spots. But the large one has a rotten spot inside it.

Because one is large and one is medium, both physically different, means that one is an orange and one is a not an orange?

If a borg bov on the focus K03 is the same design as a KP39 BOV, and they both have comp wheels coming apart due to compressor surge, the fact that one is a K03 and one is a KP39 means the Bov isn't the same?

No matter what we say, lol, the focus is da king, lmao. Russ showed me a pic of 8 fost engines. Some bone stock, some modded. Everyone of them cracked a piston in the identical spot. Ford won't stand by that. Its not a focus vs fist thing, but it is a ford thing and it is relevant this conversation because ford doesn't stand behind anything. Not broken piston, not cracked cylinder heads they KNEW WERE DEFECTIVE and installed them anyway, and not DFI issues they knew existed before going into production.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I'm honestly surprised that you can't comprehend this. We've had our differences but I seriously thought you to be smarter than this. There's no point in trying to explain why an apple isn't an orange just because it's painted orange.

Just because Ford hasn't fixed every single engine under warranty, it doesn't mean they haven't fixed any. I've seen and heard of multiple engines being fixed or replaced under warranty, and that's of all stages of tune short of big turbo. If you have a bad dealership then you have a bad dealership but that doesn't automatically make my dealership bad nor does it mean that I will have the same warranty issues that you will. Again, this is common knowledge.

You're right that this isn't a Focus vs Fiesta thing but everyone else here is trying to talk about the Fiesta, which has had far fewer failures than the Focus, and you keep trying to assert that we're all screwed because of issues that the Focus has and we haven't. Apples to oranges, even if the apple is painted orange.

twolf

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I think the consensus is that the Mobil 1 5W20 or Mobil 1 EP is the best option because of mid NOACK and low SAPS.

Mobil1 0W-20 was also suggested.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I've been hearing pretty good things about the Castrol Magnatec but I've never really looked into it. I guess it's probably about time to do that...

I suddenly wonder if he is running a catch-can. I doubt it, but that's just my guess. Doesn't sound like he's had a valve-cleaning either...

Note that's the 5w30 which is a blend. 5w20 and 0w20 are the full synthetic. I use the Magnetec 5w30 for the increased MOFT since I track mine. The Ecoboosts do seem to like Magnetec it seems and it''s what's badged in EU and SAP as Motorcraft I believe.

I've had 4 DI cars now with no issues. 2 have been tracked though which some believe burns build up off the valaves similar to the "Italian Tune Up" but with more intensity. No catch cans for me so far. My track buddy has had a couple DI cars with no issues though none of those see track time.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Be wary of doing those induction cleaning services. Ford states that such services will shorten the life of your turbocharger and catalytic converters.
There is a cleaner specifically made for DI engines with turbos and is safe for catalytic converters. It's made by CRC and is $10-12 a can.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is mobil 1 Ep ....it meets ford's Spec for our cars....as it states here...

And the label....

I'm also 99% sure the advanced fuel economy mobil 1 0w20 also meets the standard qualifications for Ford. I'll get pics of that bottle also if anyone would like.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
That Mobil1 0W20 was rated a fantastic oil by BITOG. Low NOACK and SAPS numbers, as well as low calcium, which some DI engines seem to have issues with high counts of calcium so that could also help.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Looks like I will be running Mobile One EP, or Castrol Magnatec, I have been running Castrol full synth since the break in and a few more miles on the car.

Very much appreciate all the great input on this thread!

Rick

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I would've bought 3 oil changes worth of oil at that price!
I bought out the shelf....when I see something like that it's all or nothing. It's the exact reason I stop in to my local parts store once a month to see what's on clearence......mad deals can be had !

KKaWing

This is at ~9600KM, with a Damond OCC installed at ~4000KM.

I have no clue which valve is which, I just shoved the cheap and floppy amazon boroscope in and whatever it reached, took a picture of that.

http://imgur.com/a/Uq4jA

From what I see, it seems to be all soot and oil that made it past the valve seals. Not an expert on this stuff though so chime in if anyone sees something weird.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I read this whole thread in detail with great interest.there's a lot of helpful info, thanks to all who provided it. there's not much actual evidence,though,on what people are actually seeing as far as carbon buildup on the intake valves. it may be because the cars are fairly new and not many have inspected their intakes for signs of buildup,but i'm hoping some other people have actually looked at this and can report. if so,it would be great to know:

WAS BUILDUP FOUND?
IF SO, HOW MUCH?-
MILEAGE-
OIL USED-
GAS USED-
OCC, Y/N?-
OTHER FACTORS, LIKE
(DRIVING STYLE, PREDOMINANT TRIP LENGTH)-

there are some significant differences of opinion on the thread about whether to get an OCC, helpfulness of an Italian Tune-Up, high vs. low NOACK oil (with a pretty clear consensus in favor of low and general agreement that Mobil 1 is good), and an appropriate safe cleaning method if deposits are present. well, that's what forums are for.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Yeah, most members haven't taken their intake manifold off to accurately see and get a pic. I fall into that category.

Castrol Magnatec has been showing promise for the Ecoboost platforms over on BITOG; I'm probably going to switch both ST's on their next oil change.

me32

1000 Post Club
Yeah, most members haven't taken their intake manifold off to accurately see and get a pic. I fall into that category.

Castrol Magnatec has been showing promise for the Ecoboost platforms over on BITOG; I'm probably going to switch both ST's on their next oil change.
Very interesting. How does it prevent build up on the back of the valves?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Very interesting. How does it prevent build up on the back of the valves?
I don't really have any way to qualify that, I've just seen a few good UOA's for it and want to believe good things, I guess. A UOA really isn't going to tell you anything about buildup, but I have a certain amount of faith that we aren't having that bad of an issue with buildup to begin with. I'll probably pull my IM in another month or two when I go back on my break schedule to see where I currently stand, which should put me around 28-30k miles or so.