Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ecoboost Intake Valve Carbon build up ?

me32

1000 Post Club
I don't really have any way to qualify that, I've just seen a few good UOA's for it and want to believe good things, I guess. A UOA really isn't going to tell you anything about buildup, but I have a certain amount of faith that we aren't having that bad of an issue with buildup to begin with. I'll probably pull my IM in another month or two when I go back on my break schedule to see where I currently stand, which should put me around 28-30k miles or so.
Theoretically it won't. But, as noted it's giving very good indication of wear prevention.
I have been using mobil 1 EP 5-w20 since about 10k miles after the factory fill an 1 free ford oil change. I have 52k on my st. Havent got a chance to pull the IM but i havent notice any unusual with the way the motor runs.

This thread refers to an auto data-collection company that collects info on a large number of cars, and says that they are not seeing carbon buildup problems in Ford DI engines-

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...Carbon-Buildup-a-Problem-With-DI-Engines-quot

helpful
They're probably right. GM's and Mazda's have done well too. From all I've researched and read the most profound issues seem to be isolated with the EU marks with AUDI/VW followed by BMW suffering most profoundly. OBut, as I've pointed out before those spec wider viscosity ranges like 0w or 5w40 and higher SAPS for longer OCI's. My posts on the matter have been strictly theoretical from the research that's out there and if I was to shoot from the hip I doubt our cars will ever suffer from issues related to valve deposits. That's not to say that valves won't see deposits but rather that any deposits will largely be benign.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
After reading a lot about carbon buildup in Ford DI engines, I'm quite encouraged. I do plan to do some things to try to make carbon buildup less likely, most of which I would do anyway as a matter of good car care, or just enjoying it:

Use Top Tier premium gas (mostly 93 octane BP around here,) use good low NOACK full-synthetic oil (probably Mobil 1,convenient to buy and cheap in those 5-quart jugs, maybe Pennzoil Platinum or Castrol Magnatech,) warm the car up,avoiding short trips when possible and taking some longer drives periodically, redline it some (after break-in,) and keeping my software up-to date. At this point I'm leaning against getting an OCC.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I thought the issue with valve cleaning was that chunks of broken up carbon could potentially damage the turbo? Unless this cleaner literally turns it to mush I don't see how it would be anymore safe for the turbocharger.

http://crcindustries.com/auto/intake-valve-cleaner.php

I'd think that if it wasn't turbo friendly they wouldn't put that it's turbo and intercooler safe on the can. If your using it as directed when needed there should be very minimal buildup to fly out in huge pieces.
Didn't they say the same thing about seafoam? Then Ford specifically stated they did not approve these cleaners for use in their engines.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

http://crcindustries.com/auto/intake-valve-cleaner.php

I'd think that if it wasn't turbo friendly they wouldn't put that it's turbo and intercooler safe on the can. If your using it as directed when needed there should be very minimal buildup to fly out in huge pieces.
I've already used this twice in my current 23,000 miles. It functions as indicated on the can. I bought a bypass cap in 3/4" ID and poked a hole through it for the spray straw. You remove the fuel evap clip right above the throttle body, push the rubber cap onto the nipple, start car and put a shoe or another person on the gas pedal to keep the rpms up around 3k and spray in 5-10 second spurts until empty. Works as indicated. The reason Ford doesn't recommend it is because they won't make any money on it. When they can formulate something similar and put a Motorcraft logo on it they will recommend their brand only. Similar to their 5w20 oil and DC trans oil. It is pure marketing people. If you don't believe that, then their strategy has worked on you...

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've already used this twice in my current 23,000 miles. It functions as indicated on the can. I bought a bypass cap in 3/4" ID and poked a hole through it for the spray straw. You remove the fuel evap clip right above the throttle body, push the rubber cap onto the nipple, start car and put a shoe or another person on the gas pedal to keep the rpms up around 3k and spray in 5-10 second spurts until empty. Works as indicated. The reason Ford doesn't recommend it is because they won't make any money on it. When they can formulate something similar and put a Motorcraft logo on it they will recommend their brand only. Similar to their 5w20 oil and DC trans oil. It is pure marketing people. If you don't believe that, then their strategy has worked on you...

Thank you very much sir![driving]

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Ford would make lots of money on valve cleanings and they don't recommend that either.

Ford would make lots of money on valve cleanings and they don't recommend that either.
No, IMO their dipshit "technicians" would fuck up the process and cause more damage than good and Ford would take it in the ass. I've maintained Mazda DISI turbos and now the Ford Ecoboost and they both respond to solvent/type cleanings and of course meth injection. Choose your poison 😜

Sekred

1000 Post Club
The trouble with spraying these cleaners into the intake manifold to dissolve the carbon built up is this dissolve crap has to go somewhere. Into the cylinder is what I am talking about. Not all off it going to end up going out the exhaust, some of it will probably find its way into the top ring groove during the compression/combustion process.

The trouble with spraying these cleaners into the intake manifold to dissolve the carbon built up is this dissolve crap has to go somewhere. Into the cylinder is what I am talking about. Not all off it going to end up going out the exhaust. Cylinder pressure during the combustion process is going push some of this dissolve crap into the ring grooves. I would not touch it myself.
To each his own... You don't flood the cylinder with it like static sprays or even shell blasting. It basically hits the intake valves like port fuel injection and is dispersed rather quickly. Anything can be fucked up by stupid so users beware of their own limitations.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Somebody posted pics on a Mazda forum of the results after using this. It showed decent results. I used it in my n/a Focus with no ill effects.

The trouble with spraying these cleaners into the intake manifold to dissolve the carbon built up is this dissolve crap has to go somewhere. Into the cylinder is what I am talking about. Not all off it going to end up going out the exhaust. Cylinder pressure during the combustion process is going push some of this dissolve crap into the ring grooves. I would not touch it myself.
Not advocating its use, but anything removed off the valves will already be solved by the product such that it will combust right out the exhaust. There is no way the pressure from the propellant would dislodge any deposits of any significance on its own. That's why they walnut blast them.

jayrod1980

[MENTION=1686]FORZDA 2[/MENTION] can you explain more about the cap you created and how to attach it? I'm coming up on an oil change soon and for $10 this is an easy preventative maintenance kind of thing. At some point I'd like to do the walnut blast thing but don't even know where the crank bolt is to close the valves. Is the throttle accessible in the engine bay on a throttle by wire vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk