Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine break-in interesting find

As I was inspecting and measuring the block from my former turbo and getting ready to flex hone it (rebuilding it as stock and selling the car), I noticed something. The cross hatches from final honing are still quite prominent, enough that I can still feel them. This engine only had 3500 miles on it before I cracked 3 pistons. The first 1500 miles was Castrol GTX dino oil then swapped to Motul 8100 x-cess.

This proves that even after the super critical initial break-in to seat the rings (when the final hone is still fresh), the cross hatches are still acting like a dull file and seating the rings for quite a few thousand miles more after that. This supports how most new engine UOAs show less and less iron in them (from the rings and cylinders as the cross hatches wear down) up to 10,000 miles and sometimes 15,000 miles when there have been 1500, 5000, and 10,000 mile oil changes.

Just found it interesting and thought I would share.