Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Falken Azenis RT660 Coming Soon - RE71R contender?

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #146
^^^NICE!! [twothumb]

I've never seen a set of Superturismos (LMs or otherwise) on any of the FT86 twins, ever. [coolsmile]
Truth be told I've been looking for a set of TRD forged wheels for this car since I got it.

They were a dealer option for a couple of years but run $365 a wheel new. Gave up searching for a nice set used and picked up these OZs because they look very similar

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
From a distance, it would be almost impossible to tell the difference. [thumb]

But yeah, those forged wheels are sweet!

In my opinion, those are the best looking cars either Toy (including Lexus) or Scoobaru ever put on the market.

It is amazing that they were not a sales hit from aesthetics alone, despite the 'under-powered' complaints from so many. [dunno]

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Ran these this past Sunday and I was impressed with them on my first 3-4 runs. Temps were in the 60s and these got hot very fast after the first run and by the 4th run they were falling off. I was getting a run every 10-15 minutes so that didn’t help. Started at around 34 cold and got down to around 32lbs hot. After maybe 8-10 runs on these the center rib is garbage. I would get this slightly on my Re71r’s all these years but never had issue like this. Not very impressed with how they hold up. 8A33FB3A-D25E-49C8-A751-4AAB53F06C27.jpeg

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #150
Ran these this past Sunday and I was impressed with them on my first 3-4 runs. Temps were in the 60s and these got hot very fast after the first run and by the 4th run they were falling off. I was getting a run every 10-15 minutes so that didn’t help. Started at around 34 cold and got down to around 32lbs hot. After maybe 8-10 runs on these the center rib is garbage. I would get this slightly on my Re71r’s all these years but never had issue like this. Not very impressed with how they hold up. View attachment 31367
Wow! that is crazy. I've never seen a fresh tire do that before. You should contact Tire Rack (or whereever you bought them) as well as Falken.

Some of the guys I autocross with here in the Akron area work in the tire industry (Akron is famous for tires apparently). Couple weekends ago they said that Falken really struggled getting the longevity of the RT660 up to acceptable levels (they were benchmarking against the RE71R). Wonder if they may work with you on this

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Wow! that is crazy. I've never seen a fresh tire do that before. You should contact Tire Rack (or whereever you bought them) as well as Falken.

Some of the guys I autocross with here in the Akron area work in the tire industry (Akron is famous for tires apparently). Couple weekends ago they said that Falken really struggled getting the longevity of the RT660 up to acceptable levels (they were benchmarking against the RE71R). Wonder if they may work with you on this

I plan to contact falken this week. Not too happy about it. My buddy had same issue on his at the same event.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I wonder if they are going to try to hide behind/use the "should have been shaved {and/or heat cycled} for competition use" disclaimer/excuse. [dunno] [:(]

Last edited:

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I wonder if they are going to try to use the "should have been shaved {and/or heat cycled} for competition use" disclaimer/excuse. [dunno] [:(]

I emailed them last night about issue and one thing I asked them about was heat cycle of these tires.

Ran these this past Sunday and I was impressed with them on my first 3-4 runs. Temps were in the 60s and these got hot very fast after the first run and by the 4th run they were falling off. I was getting a run every 10-15 minutes so that didn’t help. Started at around 34 cold and got down to around 32lbs hot. After maybe 8-10 runs on these the center rib is garbage. I would get this slightly on my Re71r’s all these years but never had issue like this. Not very impressed with how they hold up. View attachment 31367
I had similar issues on my second and third events- I still need to get pics, but it was a little disturbing. I was impressed with how fast they warmed up, and they seemed to give good grip (esp. compared to the Rivals), but I'm concerned about longevity

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I had similar issues on my second and third events- I still need to get pics, but it was a little disturbing. I was impressed with how fast they warmed up, and they seemed to give good grip (esp. compared to the Rivals), but I'm concerned about longevity
I was curious about yours. Sucks but I’m glad it wasn’t just mine. If they contact me back I will bring up others issues also.

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #156
FWIW, I asked about this in my local Autox club's FB page, and a few have confirmed this seems to be an issue across the board w/ the first batch. Bummer!!!!

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Had another event today. Rotated beat up ones to back other day and put few street miles on to try and even out the wear before event. Even the beat up ones on the rear continued to get worse. No reply back from falken ever.

3745C552-5AEC-4E1C-9F71-F4DC4D94A476.jpeg

Wow they screwed real bad (at least the first batch). With that many people corroborating your experience, I wonder how come Falken did not get the same pathetic results when testing them before release...

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
@Plainrt Have you tried reporting the concerns to Tire Rack? (assuming you bought it from them).
I haven’t yet. Was waiting to see what falken said but I heard nothing yet so will least let tirerack know of my issues. My buddy rotated his also but yesterday when he got to track he noticed one had a screw in one so he rotated them back. So after 2 events and 16-18 runs he has the one tire that 1/2 the center is all the way worn down.