Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Falken Azenis RT660 Coming Soon - RE71R contender?

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Damn. They’re roached. That’s too bad. I was hopeful they’d give us at least 1/2 season since our cars are lightweight. Looks like they’re good for competition only.
Yeah it’s been kind of a kick to the nuts for me this season. Only went with the falken due to the size. I wish I stretched a 205 re71r instead on my 15x8s. I see a part out of my car in near future. Maybe run in hs till something new to replace the fiesta pops up.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Here was the response from tirerack to my concern about these. At the point of this I only showed them the first pics I posted here. I just sent them the latest pic and asked if was normal.

Quoted from tire rack tech.......

Despite the dramatic appearance, this is actually fairly normal for Extreme Performance Summer tires, especially ones with this symmetric tread design with a wide center rib, and especially on new tires with full tread depths in autocross scenarios where the tires don’t have time to gradually warm up to optimum temperature before being pushed hard at high slip angles, and even more especially in the front tires of FWD and AWD applications.
When the tires are at cool temps, whether due to cool weather or to just beginning the day and the tires haven’t had any exercise to warm them up yet, this wear is exacerbated. Reducing slip angle/steering input is the best way to mitigate this wear pattern, especially on cooler days. The bad news is, they will likely continue to wear like this. The good news is, the center wear rate will plateau at some point and bevel off, and the rest of the tread surface will catch up to the middle in wear. Fortunately, this wear pattern doesn’t have a detrimental effect on performance or safety in an autocross or track setting. We have seen this exact type of wear on the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R many times before (a tire that has been out much longer that we have more experience with, as compared to the newer RT660, but our limited experience has shown they wear in a similar manner), and contrary to popular belief, there is no delamination present. This is just an odd wear pattern that happens in this type of tire. Luckily, as ugly as it looks, the tires will still perform great!

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Anyone have any experience with these for just regular street driving? I'm torn between these and the older rt615k's. Looking specifically for 215/40s since I have 17" rims. Otherwise I'd probably just go for the tried and tested RE-71s but they only have 215/45 and that probably won't fit.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^IF they don't separate in 'normal' street driving, they would be my choice in a 215/40-17 since they have the widest tread width in that size, tied with the 200 tread wear Yoks @7.9" wide (and save for the 50 tread wear V700 Kumhos @ 8.1"), and are a bunch less coin than those stickies. [wink]

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
^^^IF they don't separate in 'normal' street driving, they would be my choice in a 215/40-17 since they have the widest tread width in that size, tied with the 200 tread wear Yoks @7.9" wide (and save for the 50 tread wear V700 Kumhos @ 8.1"), and are a bunch less coin than those stickies. [wink]
If I get them I will follow up. I need new tires soon since it's rainy season in Florida and every afternoon I drive I'm putting my life at risk on my dying Indy 500s lol. Any guesses on how they'll perform in the wet?

OP
CSM

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #190
Anyone have any experience with these for just regular street driving? I'm torn between these and the older rt615k's. Looking specifically for 215/40s since I have 17" rims. Otherwise I'd probably just go for the tried and tested RE-71s but they only have 215/45 and that probably won't fit.
Honestly I'd get the ZIII in 215/40/17. Better tire for street than rt660 (much longer lasting) and loads more grip than 615s

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I heat cycled mine last week. I’ll run them at Road Atlanta again Friday. I might run them at AMP Thursday but I’d rather use the RT615K+ and save the RT660 for the faster track. Has anyone else heat cycled them and experienced the shredding center?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, the Dunlops are a great tire, and probably one of the best overall among the 200 tread wear donuts for street use.
They are within 1/10th to 2/10ths of an inch of the widest tread street tires available in a 215/40-17 (the old Z2s WERE the widest available back when they were still around, and regret not getting those over the RS-RRs [:(]).

I only bought the A052s over them (and will acknowledge and sacrifice the much quicker wear rate, higher co$t, lower heavy rain performance, and shallower starting tread depth) in the 225/45-16 size I got, because I wanted the widest possible tread width within the 200 tread wears. [wink]

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I can definitely tell you my 215/40/17 Direzza Z3s are wider then my friends 215/40/17 RT615k+. His on his 17x8 Titans look stretched. While my Dunlops look square on my 17x8 TDs

Co driver and I burned up half the front tires on the FiST at National tour last weekend. They dont look torn up like that, but only 14-15 min of runs on them.

The rears still have nubs on the insides...