Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Favorite track pads?

I'm coming due for a pad replacement (Arguably a little overdue, the HPS 5.0s seem to be doing okay but they've got 20k miles and a lot of aggressive driving on them) and I'm looking to add a set of track pads to the mix. I was looking at Carbotech per recommendation of a friend but I'm unsure as to what is actually the best. I'll likely go back to OEM pads for street and replace rotors while I'm at it. Would it make more sense to have a set of rotors dedicated to the track pads, or just mix them with my street worn rotors? Obviously it's my daily so I'm a little curious how I'll handle the bedding process but that may be an argument for a more aggressive street pad that I can use on track, I haven't been overly impressed with the Hawks outside of daily driving and the OEMs were definitely more bitey for sure.

I personally run the same rotor with any mix of pads. I personally have tried switching rotors with pads and even with lifetime warranty rotors for free I find it to be a bit of a waste of time.
The hawk hp+ would be the next step up from the HPS pads. But if they're going to be track dedicated pads I would go to the DTC60 pads. I wouldn't advise going past DTC 60 pads unless you are running slicks.

kevinatfms

Porterfield R4/R4-E. Work excellently on the stock brake calipers/rotors. Never had an issue with overheating them with air deflectors. I also have run the Powerstop PST track spec pads with success.

I am just starting on the Wilwood BP30's on my TCE 11.75" brake kit. They worked great for the few laps ive had on them before my master cylinder issue. But very confidence inspiring and progressive pedal feel. Very interested to see how long the rotors last with the track compound.

Last edited:

Fusion Works

I run the BP20s as my normal street pads. They will melt within a few laps on track though, even with cooling. I have switched to the BP30s for track use. They are too grabby when cold on the street. They are not a street pad.

The HP+ is a fine pad for daily use. They will be noisy and dust like a MF. I have run DT60s and DTC70s on track, but they are in no way a street pad. They don't do much until they get to 400+ deg. I suspect they aren't a good combination with the modern ABS in these cars. The Hawks don't tend to release as well as other compounds.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I run the BP20s as my normal street pads. They will melt within a few laps on track though, even with cooling. I have switched to the BP30s for track use. They are too grabby when cold on the street. They are not a street pad.

The HP+ is a fine pad for daily use. They will be noisy and dust like a MF. I have run DT60s and DTC70s on track, but they are in no way a street pad. They don't do much until they get to 400+ deg. I suspect they aren't a good combination with the modern ABS in these cars. The Hawks don't tend to release as well as other compounds.
+1 on the HP+ being noisy AF. They perform great on the track and street, but after my first track day, they were loud -- SQUEEEEEEE

I have since switched to EBC OrangeStuff. Great so far, but I am not sure they're going to last very long. Dirty for sure, but not noise issues (yet).

For stock calipers and rotors, the OE summer tire package brake pad is one of the best street pad compounds I have driven. They have good bite and feel all the time.
Seconding this. I'm on centric replacement pads in the front, OE summer package pads in the front. And OE "comfort / silent" pads and rotors in the rear. Just swapping everything on the front end myself over to the oem 'S' pads and blank rotors made a massive difference. They make a bit of noise (likely need to lube my slide pins) but otherwise perform incredibly well. Feel and stopping power is wonderful given where the rest of my build is at. Undeniably tons of dust but price and availability make that easier to swallow for sure. I couldn't promise track focused longevity though.

Erick_V

I love the OEM 'S' pads for DD duty but they dust like hell, feels like I wash the car and drive a mile and my wheels are black again lol. I've been running the EBC Red (fronts) for the street and they don't dust as badly and they may lack that grab that the OEM pads do but are great after you get used to them. After I'm done with school I plan to have a separate set of pads/rotors for the track. Expensive cost upfront but cheaper in the long run. As other have noted HP+ are loud, wouldn't go that route again but don't have any experience with other track pads. Also, get Centric rotors for the front, great value for the money and I never had an issue with them. As far as rear pads go you could try something like an OEM 'S' pad or even the all season pad as we don't use much rear bias and it would heat up fast. I'd only be weary if I was doing endurance racing, but for 20 minute sessions I think it'll do

OP
Williamson
Thread Starter #9
I ended up placing an order on Tuesday since I need to get it done before my next track day and I wanna make sure I'm not up against the wire. Got Powerstop corrosion treated rotors since they weren't a ton more expensive than the untreated OEM ones, went back to OEM S pads for daily driving and got the Powerstop PSA/Track Day Spec pads for track. If my current rotors are sufficiently in spec (Though I'd wager they're not, they're at least 3 years old if not more and now have gone through two sets of pads and the better part of 50k miles) I figure I can keep them as a track specific rotor if I want. If not, I'm gonna try the whole swapping thing. People seem to indicate there's some method to the madness in driving out to the track on track pads, getting prior pad material off while cold and abrasive, running them on track, then doing the inverse on the way home before swapping back to street pads.

I'm not super confident on the PSA pads but people seem to say they're a lot of performance for not a lot of money so, hey, not much to lose. I'm not exactly so skilled that I'm outrunning the car anyway, just need pads that like the heat and it would do me a lot of good to get deflectors/ducting/both but that's a financial burden for another day. The S280 probably was a bad call now that I'm going to the track a lot, but oops, didn't know I'd end up doing it lol

kevinatfms

I ended up placing an order on Tuesday since I need to get it done before my next track day and I wanna make sure I'm not up against the wire. Got Powerstop corrosion treated rotors since they weren't a ton more expensive than the untreated OEM ones, went back to OEM S pads for daily driving and got the Powerstop PST/Track Day Spec pads for track. If my current rotors are sufficiently in spec (Though I'd wager they're not, they're at least 3 years old if not more and now have gone through two sets of pads and the better part of 50k miles) I figure I can keep them as a track specific rotor if I want. If not, I'm gonna try the whole swapping thing. People seem to indicate there's some method to the madness in driving out to the track on track pads, getting prior pad material off while cold and abrasive, running them on track, then doing the inverse on the way home before swapping back to street pads.

I'm not super confident on the PST pads but people seem to say they're a lot of performance for not a lot of money so, hey, not much to lose. I'm not exactly so skilled that I'm outrunning the car anyway, just need pads that like the heat and it would do me a lot of good to get deflectors/ducting/both but that's a financial burden for another day. The S280 probably was a bad call now that I'm going to the track a lot, but oops, didn't know I'd end up doing it lol
The PST pads are $60-$80 compared to $240+ for Porterfields, $150+ for Carbotech's or $130-150 for Hawk DTC's. EBC Yellow Stuff or Blue Stuff are up there also at over $100 a box. The PST pads are a bargain if you arent in advanced group(@cidsamuth is famous for killing brakes in one session including the PST Track Day Spec pads) and dont mind swapping them out every day or so at an event.

The PST pads are $60-$80 compared to $240+ for Porterfields, $150+ for Carbotech's or $130-150 for Hawk DTC's. EBC Yellow Stuff or Blue Stuff are up there also at over $100 a box. The PST pads are a bargain if you arent in advanced group(@cidsamuth is famous for killing brakes in one session including the PST Track Day Spec pads) and dont mind swapping them out every day or so at an event.
First off, the word you're looking for is infamous, not famous.

And I wish those POS's would have lasted a session. They had me mowing the grass at the end of Turn 20 inside of 15 minutes :p. But, I appreciated you giving them to me

OP
Williamson
Thread Starter #12
They were PSAs, not PSTs, I misremembered. As far as I can tell the PSAs solve the killing them problem, and I definitely cook brakes like nobody's business. I think I've got two track days in a week in September so I'll have to look at picking up a spare set if I can wear them out in a single event.

kevinatfms

They were PSAs, not PSTs, I misremembered. As far as I can tell the PSAs solve the killing them problem, and I definitely cook brakes like nobody's business. I think I've got two track days in a week in September so I'll have to look at picking up a spare set if I can wear them out in a single event.
I see what youre talking about. The PSA vs PST is the part number nomenclature by Powerstop. So you were using the Track Day Spec pads which are just slightly more heat tolerable than the PST Track Day pads.

Both are touted as track pads by Powerstop. The spec is just more tolerant than the non-spec version.

I figure if you get a full day at the track with a set of pads that is under $100/set then its not a problem buying them every event or so.

kevinatfms

First off, the word you're looking for is infamous, not famous.

And I wish those POS's would have lasted a session. They had me mowing the grass at the end of Turn 20 inside of 15 minutes :p. But, I appreciated you giving them to me
Youre pretty famous among us in the know. Even Jason was flabbergasted at the fact they didnt even last a SINGLE session. That devil car just destroys everything, including the track!

OP
Williamson
Thread Starter #15
I see what youre talking about. The PSA vs PST is the part number nomenclature by Powerstop. So you were using the Track Day Spec pads which are just slightly more heat tolerable than the PST Track Day pads.

Both are touted as track pads by Powerstop. The spec is just more tolerant than the non-spec version.

I figure if you get a full day at the track with a set of pads that is under $100/set then its not a problem buying them every event or so.
We shall see if the PSAs are any good. I imagine they have to be better than Hawk HPS 5.0s, which are for sure a street pad. Unfortunately I won't find out till September, Top Fuel drag racing murdered the July/August track availability locally for me. That and I'm broke, which doesn't help.

ronmcdon

currently running hawk dtc-30s all around. im not a great driver, but they hold up well enough at track days with endless rf650 fluid and stoptech slotted rotors. Initial bite is pretty aggressive but I find them hard to modulate.

As a lazy person who doesn't want to swap pads for the track, i find them tolerable for the street, although they are squeaky. also tried the ebc orange front and ebc yellow rears, but the orange fronts were melting on the track and wore out pretty fast. Think they lasted me barely 2 track days, but keep in mind they were around 90f weather in socal.

want to try carbotech xp8 next.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
currently running hawk dtc-30s all around. im not a great driver, but they hold up well enough at track days with endless rf650 fluid and stoptech slotted rotors. Initial bite is pretty aggressive but I find them hard to modulate.

As a lazy person who doesn't want to swap pads for the track, i find them tolerable for the street, although they are squeaky. also tried the ebc orange front and ebc yellow rears, but the orange fronts were melting on the track and wore out pretty fast. Think they lasted me barely 2 track days, but keep in mind they were around 90f weather in socal.want to try carbotech xp8 next.
Have you tried EBC Blue NDX pads... i've ran CARBOTECH..i should show you the video of them coming off. :ROFLMAO: The EBC yellows are Ok but not what they used to be. More of a street pad and the Blues took their place for Track duty and Street.

kevinatfms

As a lazy person who doesn't want to swap pads for the track, i find them tolerable for the street, although they are squeaky. also tried the ebc orange front and ebc yellow rears, but the orange fronts were melting on the track and wore out pretty fast. Think they lasted me barely 2 track days, but keep in mind they were around 90f weather in socal.

want to try carbotech xp8 next.
Id say check Porterfield R4's. They are fantastic but may be too expensive. Ran them on stock calipers for a while and loved them. I run the Wilwood BP30's now but the minute they are done will be switching back to the R4s.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Id say check Porterfield R4's. They are fantastic but may be too expensive. Ran them on stock calipers for a while and loved them. I run the Wilwood BP30's now but the minute they are done will be switching back to the R4s.
I know that this thread is all about TRACK only pads, but since you seem to be the only one on here who has used any Porterfield pads at all; have you ever used their 'fast street'/autocross R4S pads for the FiST??

If so, how was the initial cold bite, and were they as noisy (squealing on softer street stops) as the Hawk HP+es I've had on other platforms?