Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Federal ST-1 and Nitto NT-01

Got my apartment deposit back and finally able to catch up on maintence on the car. Finally got in new tires/extra set of wheels for the track season. 205/40/17 Federal ST-1 (daily) and Nitto NT-01 for track days. Previously Run RSR-RR for track days in 215/40/17. Any direct comparisons between RS-RR and NT-01?

Attachments

OP
G
Thread Starter #3
I really loved them, they went through around 10 hard track days and sunday mountain runs every weekend I could and daily drove them during that time. Grip left nothing to be desired to be honest track recordings show 1.03g max on big willow. Only reason I didn’t go with them this time was an excellent deal on the nt01 $380 shipped so I figured I would try them this time. Only complaint is noise, I don’t mind when I’m alone and can blare music but with guests just gets noisy.

Short clip:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtc8-Irmrvo

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ya liked the vid a lot . The reason I asked is my friend has them on his track 240sx and loves them as well. People here though seem to complain about the noise though but I am not sure if they are talking about the RSR’s or RSR RR’s as people do mix them up online.

Erick_V

Ya liked the vid a lot . The reason I asked is my friend has them on his track 240sx and loves them as well. People here though seem to complain about the noise though but I am not sure if they are talking about the RSR’s or RSR RR’s as people do mix them up online.
I have the RSR on my 17x8 wheels and can confirm the noise level is high on those tires. I only use them for autocross now because of the noise

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I have the RSR on my 17x8 wheels and can confirm the noise level is high on those tires. I only use them for autocross now because of the noise
This is why I asked him about his RSR RR’s the RR’s are different than the RSR the RSR was specifically designed as a tire for drifting. The RSR RR was a full on tire designed for track use . Their is a big difference with the designations and people tend to generalize them all the time on the net.

This is why I asked him about his RSR RR’s the RR’s are different than the RSR the RSR was specifically designed as a tire for drifting. The RSR RR was a full on tire designed for track use . Their is a big difference with the designations and people tend to generalize them all the time on the net.
I'm running 215/40/17 RS-RRs. The grip is phenomenal. By far the most grip I've experienced in the fiesta so far. If you'll be DDing on these tires, I'm gonna recommend against them actually. It's my DD and my tread is pretty low already. Replaced the tires not too long ago, and I haven't tracked it(occasional spirited driving/cornering). The noise is also a factor. The tires can be heard at sub 30mph, so it's something you live with even in day to day driving.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My guess is that the NT-01s will be quite a bit stickier than the Rs-RRs in ultimate grip, and also not get 'greasy' as quickly on the track (one of the complaints I've heard about them for harder than street use).

The NT-01 was designed as a track use tire from the get-go, and NOT as a street, or even specialty autocross tire, hence the 100 tread wear rating.

BTW; I have the RS-RRs on my summer wheels (215/40-17s on a 17x8 Pro Race 1.2), but have not open tracked/TNiAed them yet, so cannot confirm or deny their 'fault' of getting greasy under max attack use.
(One cannot reach their limits on the streets/in the canyons without losing one's license. [wink])

The noise they generate above 30 MPH makes a full mudder tire equipped coal rollin' bro peckerwood truck seems dead silent by comparison, but, i have gotten used to it at this point.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
My guess is that the NT-01s will be quite a bit stickier than the Rs-RRs in ultimate grip, and also not get 'greasy' as quickly on the track (one of the complaints I've heard about them for harder than street use).

The NT-01 was designed as a track use tire from the get-go, and NOT as a street, or even specialty autocross tire, hence the 100 tread wear rating.

BTW; I have the RS-RRs on my summer wheels (215/40-17s on a 17x8 Pro Race 1.2), but have not open tracked/TNiAed them yet, so cannot confirm or deny their 'fault' of getting greasy under max attack use.
(One cannot reach their limits on the streets/in the canyons without losing one's license. [wink])

The noise they generate above 30 MPH makes a full mudder tire equipped coal rollin' bro peckerwood truck seems dead silent by comparison, but, i have gotten used to it at this point.
Ya the 595 RS was known as a greasy tire .

What you describe on the noise side totally sounds exactly like the Proxxes 888R’s . They stick like glue once you get them hot and are awesome at that point but at low speed it sounds like your driving a lifted 4x4 with off road ties down the street.

OP
G
Thread Starter #13
How do you like the ST-1's?
I havent gotten a chance to mount them yet, its in the air currently workign on replacing wheel stud and replacing pads and rotors. I will most likely get them mounted in about two weeks.

I really wanted the 595 Evo but that looks like it has been replaced this ST-1 may be a performance notch below the EVO at 300 treadwear vs 240.

If I had the chance to do over I would have went with the 595 RS PRO.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I havent gotten a chance to mount them yet, its in the air currently workign on replacing wheel stud and replacing pads and rotors. I will most likely get them mounted in about two weeks.

I really wanted the 595 Evo but that looks like it has been replaced this ST-1 may be a performance notch below the EVO at 300 treadwear vs 240.

If I had the chance to do over I would have went with the 595 RS PRO.
Ya I have been eyeballing the RS PRO it looks like it might be the tire.

TemecFist

I'm currently running professionally heat cycled Toyo R888r's (same thing as Nitto NT01) after some Federal RS-RR's. There is a HUGE difference. The grip, turn in, and responsiveness that the Toyos produce is at least twice of the Federal even tho it's not as wide (205 vs 215). Plus, I feel that the Toyos brought back some acceleration considering it's the stock size where as the Federal was about .5-.6" taller and a little heavier.
Just my .02

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I'm currently running professionally heat cycled Toyo R888r's (same thing as Nitto NT01) after some Federal RS-RR's. There is a HUGE difference. The grip, turn in, and responsiveness that the Toyos produce is at least twice of the Federal even tho it's not as wide (205 vs 215). Plus, I feel that the Toyos brought back some acceleration considering it's the stock size where as the Federal was about .5-.6" taller and a little heavier.
Just my .02
Ya I have the RS PRO’s and I think they are a pretty good step up from the RSRR’s. I am pretty damn happy with them. It will be interesting to see how they compare to my friends car who runs the 888R’s

TemecFist

Ya I have the RS PRO’s and I think they are a pretty good step up from the RSRR’s. I am pretty damn happy with them. It will be interesting to see how they compare to my friends car who runs the 888R’s
I was actually looking at the Pros, but I've seen too many examples of them cording. The Pros and RS-RR's are 200tw....the 888r's are 100tw. Alot stickier right from the get go, less time needed to warm them up.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I was actually looking at the Pros, but I've seen too many examples of them cording. The Pros and RS-RR's are 200tw....the 888r's are 100tw. Alot stickier right from the get go, less time needed to warm them up.
Technically the 888R‘s area straight up track tire. Lol I mean if your tracking your car mostly I get it or you don’t daily/. For those of us who do both the RS PRO is a pretty damn good compromise plus you will be changing out your tires twice for my every once . I would have gone RS4’s but I could not get the deal I want and figured I would run the RS PROS a lot of endurance racers run the RS4’s instead of RE71’s so I am not buying the 888R’s are the be all end all. Lol Awesome tires just not completely sold on them.

Plus I have not heard about a lot of them cording and wonder about that claim you make as they have not even been on the market that long and are not all that easy to get. Only a few shops here in SoCal even currently carry them.