Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Feds attack tuners

Siestarider

Harley Davidson settled a federal suit over its "screaming eagle" tuning package by paying $15M in fines and agreeing to buy back all the kits it sold. EPA air emissions were scientific base for suit.

I am wondering if this is the first step of feds going after the tuning market. What if Cobb is altering their ATR software due to feds? Would not surprise me if the tuning course Cobb is setting up is actually all about emissions and compliance with air quality standards. If so, good on Cobb, all of us should be careful to not create a problem for ourselves.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
With how many cars Cobb's software has tuned, I would think they would be inclined to warn their customers of any changes due to emissions and EPA regulations.

Many tuners spend a lot of time in tuning and dyno testing to ensure reliability as well as economy and emissions (I'm sure).

OP
S

Siestarider

Thread Starter #3
Maybe Harley played fast and loose with the rules by giving amateurs too much fuel. I hope it has nothing to do with us.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
All tuners are for off road use only IF YOU CHOSE TO RUN THEM.
It's in the hands of the user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Siestarider

Thread Starter #5
All tuners are for off road use only IF YOU CHOSE TO RUN THEM.
It's in the hands of the user.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point SS, why I keep my track tune on a lower slot than OEM.

Zormecteon

Getting CARB (California Air Resource Board) approval is what took so long in getting the mountune mp215 on Ford's "warranty friendly" list. They jumped through all the hoops to PROVE that it doesn't affect emissions. The same can't be said of the COBB tunes.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The reasons I went with the Mountune was emissions and warranty. I find for street use the mp215 gives me more power than I can use 99% of the time. And no worries with the Ford service department.

ScreenHunter_103 Jun. 27 14.00.jpg

The reasons I went with the Mountune was emissions and warranty. I find for street use the mp215 gives me more power than I can use 99% of the time. And no worries with the Ford service department.

View attachment 11241
Just for fun, I think I'll actually leave my car tuned when I take it in for emissions just to see if it even matters.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just for fun, I think I'll actually leave my car tuned when I take it in for emissions just to see if it even matters.

This is one thing I love about Mn....no more emissions testing Bs....it was all just a way to screw people out of money and get more revenue for the state. I feel sorry for any of you guys who still have to deal with that garbage. If you do go let us know what it tests like.

This is one thing I love about Mn....no more emissions testing Bs....it was all just a way to screw people out of money and get more revenue for the state. I feel sorry for any of you guys who still have to deal with that garbage. If you do go let us know what it tests like.
It's even screwier here. I live in one of only four counties that require testing in Wisconsin. Thankfully, it's only every two years and just a sensor scan now.

I've never had any of my cars with tunes fail emissions.

Personally I'd like to see diesels get emissions tested because of those douche nozzles and their huge plumes of smoke they like blast at people

The reason HD got into hot water over this was because they were a manufacturer selling a kit new with bikes that made tem non-EPA compliant. Not the same as an aftermarket company selling to the end customer a product that potentially did that.

Its also why I may end up doing Mountune, to insure no warranty issues.

The Mountune kit needs to be installed by a dealer to retain the factory warranty. I like to do my own work on cars. Also $$$$$$$. Probably beating a dead horse here.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Mountune kit needs to be installed by a dealer to retain the factory warranty. I like to do my own work on cars. Also $$$$$$$. Probably beating a dead horse here.
IF they could roll the installed cost of the MP215 into the financed price, I would be much more likely to consider it as an option.

IF they could roll the installed cost of the MP215 into the financed price, I would be much more likely to consider it as an option.
They can. Just have a talk with your dealer.

me32

1000 Post Club
I've never had any of my cars with tunes fail emissions.

Personally I'd like to see diesels get emissions tested because of those douche nozzles and their huge plumes of smoke they like blast at people
They do in CA. But those guys also hate your fart cans.