Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Feint smell of gas/fuel/chemical after tune

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
First i'm not to worried but I am curious. I will try to provide as much detail as possible. Coming from a beat up Aveo I know leaks and squeaks and I know what to worry about.

Ever since I had the MP215 tune installed I notice a feint smell of what I can only describe as fuel/oil/ acrid chemical in the passenger cabin. Was stronger the first day but now has since subsided. The tech did take it out and drove the car hard after the tune. I have done many pulls since then with a good 22 PSI/ 11 vacuum on idle. I don't think there is a boost leak. Today, after a wash, I crawled through the engine to look for any evidence of a leak or something. Checked the OCC (the smell of the fluids in the OCC does not match what I smell), checked the oil plug, some leak (need a new crush washer for the Fumoto valve) but its not that smell. Checked the intake (clean), checked the down pipe thinking it was exhaust smell before the Cat, checked the down pipe and Cat back no leak. I checked the oil cap, no leaks again not the same smell.

I narrowed down the smell coming around the alternator or possibly the air con charge valve (took the cap off and checked for a leak with a soap bubble nothing noticeable, but not eliminated). Would a air con leak smell like unburt fuel/ acrid chem? If the air con is empty I won't know until next year. No leak around the block (i keep the engine clean). So what else could be in that area? Could it be on time thing after the tune and the ECU running too rich?

Anything else I can check or look at? [scratch]

I don't think the refrigerant has much of an odor...Too, if the AC is low(beyond a certain amount) the compressor won't come on. You can check this by turning on the windshield defroster. The AC compressor is supposed to cycle to keep the system active during cold months...See if it's cycling.
Maybe the alternator is off gassing from heat. Have you done anything to the car recently that would put more load on the electrical system of the car?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Do you have a catalytic converter or not? What fuel are you running?

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
I don't think the refrigerant has much of an odor...Too, if the AC is low(beyond a certain amount) the compressor won't come on. You can check this by turning on the windshield defroster. The AC compressor is supposed to cycle to keep the system active during cold months...See if it's cycling.
Maybe the alternator is off gassing from heat. Have you done anything to the car recently that would put more load on the electrical system of the car?
Will try the AC during this week. No real electrical load other than the autodiming mirror. Using the heated seats in the morning. Maybe it is that.

Do you have a catalytic converter or not? What fuel are you running?

Stock Downpipe running 94 octane. Both of these were present before the tune. Checked around the cat and the turbo with no odor there. [scratch]