Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Mountune Intake Review

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread revival, I installed the Mountune airbox. It was a pain to install the OEM snorkel into the aluminum airbox. Mountune put a thick rubber seal and plastic moulding in the inner lip of the snorkel hole. It took me over 2 HOURS(!) to push, pull, prod, hammer, and force the snorkel onto the new airbox because it was such a tight fit. I thought I would destroy the snorkel by mistake.

Now I want to reinstall the OEM airbox so the dealer can't say it was the Mountune part causing the issue. So the question is, how do I remove the snorkel from the Mountune airbox without damaging it? Should I just buy another snorkel?

Thanks.
I had the same issue. It's a kinda dumb design.

OP
MKVIIST

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Thread Starter #42
I get that, but the thick rubber seal + plastic moulding on the snorkel hole of the Mountune airbox is preventing me from removing it. Are there any removal tools that can pry the snorkel off without damaging the part?
Yes, I used panel removal tools which reduces the chance of damaging plastic parts.

I received my Intake Kit as a component of the Induction package and apparently Mountune has been listening and doing some additional testing. Because my kit as delivered was composed of the K&N filter, Intake Hose with PCV adapter, and 2 band clamps. Note, the aluminum air box base was not included in the packaging. Perhaps an oversight on Montune's part but IMO that aluminum box is effectively Fluff. Because it might prove beneficial with an engine built to 350 hp or more but for most of us the stock airbox is perfect. As a result of not fighting to get that base installed my total time to install the intake kit was about 10 minutes.

The tip here is that if you are planning on tuning to a somewhat mild level then don't bother changing out the airbox base. Save using that base for when you go Big Turbo or more.

Spoke a bit too soon, the airbox lower and porous inlet hose arrived yesterday, nearly 2 weeks after all of the other items on order. Be willing to bet that UPS had it parked at a distribution center and someone finally noticed it.

Anyhow me being me I just couldn't leave it boxed and just had to install it. Only took about 45 minutes but I sure would like to have a talk with the idiot who sized the opening in the box for the OEM snorkel. Ended up taking a hammer to get it in by pounding on the insertion nubs that Ford must have used in the production process. Also learned that you have to pre-position the assembly just perfectly and Grimace and grit your teeth just right and then lean on it just the right way to get the snorkel engaged in the factory inlet. Mountune, if you are listening a well designed silicone rubber inlet snorkel would be a very good idea. Something that could be fished into place after the airbox lower is sitting in it's mounting position. BTW, a simple reminder that an inlet for an air cleaner does NOT have to have a perfect gas tight seal, it's on the dirty side of the filter and these cars do not use Ram Induction.