Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST NASA TT5, Build-ish, Results, Track Videos

OP
S
Thread Starter #62
Quick update....
Went to Wild Horse Pass East this past weekend and set the track record for TT5! Car worked well on day 1 with sticker tires, then lost front grip pretty quick as the tires wore. Softened F sway bar and the car was great starting in session 2 of day 2. I wish we tried the swaybar soft on day 1, I think there would have been .3 or even .4 more to get with that one change. More brake issues though......

Previous record 1:03.5 by S2000 2 years ago

Video of lap record session:
1:02.71

OP
S
Thread Starter #63
4/2 was the 7th NASA AZ Time Trial Event of the year and Fiesta takes another win. We were at Radford/Bondurant and this time there were 7 other drivers in TT5, and the track layout was new for everyone. We beat 2nd in TT5 by almost 4 seconds, and even beat all of TT4. Also, since it was a new track for NASA AZ we now hold our second track record for the season.
The Car is working pretty well. Still a bit of understeer everywhere, entry and exit, ad the brakes are marginal heat capacity wise, but we are working on them pretty hard. New backingplates almost fabricated and looks like we will work with EBC soon as their kit has a bit more rotor thickness and larger caliper and pad volume for more thermal mass.

Lap Video 1:14.7

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
S
Thread Starter #64
One Big development though....
A recurring problem has been solved. We had been getting air in the cooling system during race days. After sessions the coolant reservoir would be way high, and there would be air in the radiator that we would bleed out. We thought it was a cracked head or head gasket, but could ever get a positive test for exhaust gas in the coolant. We then thought it was worn o-rings at the reservoir connections so replaced all of those without success....Finally we thought it could be coolant slosh, were the coolant would be help away from the ports and air would get sucked through the hoses into the engine. Apparently that is exactly what happened. We found the Mishimoto reservoir and it mentioned improved baffling. We ordered one and were concerned that it was opaque so may be difficult to track to level, but it does have a small sight tube on the side. Maybe it would be enough, but if the level raised over the tube we couldnt tell how full it was. Well we were in luck and the level didnt raise at all at tis past race day! This is the first time the level in the reservoir didnt change at the track. Also, when we checked the bleed valve at the radiator, there was absolutely no air! I think my recommendation for any Fiesta ST track car is to get the Mishimoto reservoir....But strangely I have not heard of this being an issue for anyone else.... If it is or it isn't we are stoked that we dont have a head sealing issue, and one less issue to track during track days.... Back to brake work...

Attachments

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
One Big development though....
A recurring problem has been solved. We had been getting air in the cooling system during race days. After sessions the coolant reservoir would be way high, and there would be air in the radiator that we would bleed out. We thought it was a cracked head or head gasket, but could ever get a positive test for exhaust gas in the coolant. We then thought it was worn o-rings at the reservoir connections so replaced all of those without success....Finally we thought it could be coolant slosh, were the coolant would be help away from the ports and air would get sucked through the hoses into the engine. Apparently that is exactly what happened. We found the Mishimoto reservoir and it mentioned improved baffling. We ordered one and were concerned that it was opaque so may be difficult to track to level, but it does have a small sight tube on the side. Maybe it would be enough, but if the level raised over the tube we couldnt tell how full it was. Well we were in luck and the level didnt raise at all at tis past race day! This is the first time the level in the reservoir didnt change at the track. Also, when we checked the bleed valve at the radiator, there was absolutely no air! I think my recommendation for any Fiesta ST track car is to get the Mishimoto reservoir....But strangely I have not heard of this being an issue for anyone else.... If it is or it isn't we are stoked that we dont have a head sealing issue, and one less issue to track during track days.... Back to brake work...
Thanks for the detailed writeup - I've got a Mishimoto reservoir on my shelf but haven't put it in yet. I have a 2014 and I've read a couple places that it isn't a good idea to install it on a 14-15 but I have no idea why. Perhaps those were the only years impacted by the recall and the hoses won't match up?

OP
S
Thread Starter #66
Thanks for the detailed writeup - I've got a Mishimoto reservoir on my shelf but haven't put it in yet. I have a 2014 and I've read a couple places that it isn't a good idea to install it on a 14-15 but I have no idea why. Perhaps those were the only years impacted by the recall and the hoses won't match up?
Thats something I am not aware of. Ours is a 16 so the install was straight forward. I am very curious as to a reason why there would be a difference, so if you find or have more details I would love to hear them. I know that the reservoirs, the Mishimoto and the Pro Alloy (confirmed by Pro Alloy there is no baffling in these) both dont work on the post-recall EU version of the car.

Yeah, I did the Mishimoto Reservoir on my USDM '14 with the post-recall tank. You have to buy and replace all of the lines to the reservoir because they were all changed with the recall tank. If you never had the recall reservoir put in, though, it's plug-and-play.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Yeah, I did the Mishimoto Reservoir on my USDM '14 with the post-recall tank. You have to buy and replace all of the lines to the reservoir because they were all changed with the recall tank. If you never had the recall reservoir put in, though, it's plug-and-play.
I do have the recall tank - do you know the part numbers for the pre-recall hoses?

I do have the recall tank - do you know the part numbers for the pre-recall hoses?
1649108161496.png

Not the Ford part numbers, just the ones from my RockAuto order back in 2019. I don't see any of these for '2014' Fiesta STs right now on RA, but the hoses were the same from '14 through '19, so checking 2016+ listings will get you pre-recall hoses.
I imagine you could also go to a dealer's parts department and asking for a 2016's reservoir tank hose part numbers.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
We designed and printed them ourselves.
Why not just copy the fog light assembly and allow it to have a Duct though it? another member on here made a couple sets of them and i own one that my ST 200 duct hooks too and has Halos LEDs for lights * Great design.

OP
S
Thread Starter #72
Why not just copy the fog light assembly and allow it to have a Duct though it? another member on here made a couple sets of them and i own one that my ST 200 duct hooks too and has Halos LEDs for lights * Great design.
Ours is larger diameter and has a larger collector area. It also doesnt need bolts to hold it in. Also, I think most of the fog ducts are made for 2.5" ducting and ours is 3". I actually think that your "ram effect" would be higher with our duct due to the larger collection area. But I dont really think ram air is a big thing on turbo cars really.

OP
S
Thread Starter #73
We have been working on the brake cooling while we have a few weeks off of track events. We have an order in with EBC for the Apollo kit with 300mm discs. The calipers should be anodized instead of the normal powder coated to helo release heat better. It turns out that they use this kit for the BRSCC Fiesta series were they race ST180 Fiestas, so hopefully it will work for us. It seems better on paper, as the discs are 28mm thick vs the Wilwood which are ~21mm, so more thermal mass and larger cooling vanes. Also the pad volume is much highter on the EBC, so again more thermal mass.
To get ready for the next track day we have made some backing plates for the cooling ducts. We had to step down to 2.5" hose, as its the largest we could find a way from fron of wheel to back of wheel, where we needed to direct the air. There used to be a vendor that sold backing plates for the fiesta, but we could not get a hold of them after a few attempts, also those only had a 2" inlet. We used 1/16" aluminum sheet and 2.5" intercooler piping to rivet the tube to the plate, and a 3" to 2.5" plastic reducer from our from bumper collectors to the 2.5" hose going to the backing plates.

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
We have been working on the brake cooling while we have a few weeks off of track events. We have an order in with EBC for the Apollo kit with 300mm discs. The calipers should be anodized instead of the normal powder coated to helo release heat better. It turns out that they use this kit for the BRSCC Fiesta series were they race ST180 Fiestas, so hopefully it will work for us. It seems better on paper, as the discs are 28mm thick vs the Wilwood which are ~21mm, so more thermal mass and larger cooling vanes. Also the pad volume is much highter on the EBC, so again more thermal mass.
To get ready for the next track day we have made some backing plates for the cooling ducts. We had to step down to 2.5" hose, as its the largest we could find a way from fron of wheel to back of wheel, where we needed to direct the air. There used to be a vendor that sold backing plates for the fiesta, but we could not get a hold of them after a few attempts, also those only had a 2" inlet. We used 1/16" aluminum sheet and 2.5" intercooler piping to rivet the tube to the plate, and a 3" to 2.5" plastic reducer from our from bumper collectors to the 2.5" hose going to the backing plates.
What wheels you running? And spacers also of needed?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thread Starter #77
running Team Dynamics Race 1.2 15x8 for street and Advanti Racing Storm S1 15x9 F with the team dynamics R at the track. No Spacers on rear, 15mm spacers front.

OP
S
Thread Starter #78
some quick brake updates....
Installed EBC track kit. It has Anodized calipers and RP-1 pads instead of the painted calipers. Should radiate more heat like this. It is the same kit they run in UK on BRSCC Fiesta ST240 cup. Pretty excited to get it to the track. Much more thermal mass, more cooling vanes area, more pad volume....
Fit very similar to Wilwoods, but the calipers are closer to the wheel spokes. Still it seems like just using 15mm spacers is enough with the Advanti S1 15x9 rims.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
S
Thread Starter #79
We just got back from a half day of testing at WeatherTech Raceway in Monterey (Laguna Seca). It was a good day of collecting data and video for us to prepare for the NASA National Championships in September. We were running the new EBC 300mm brake kit and it was really good. Still allowed us to use the 15x9 F and 15x8 R wheels. We did have issues getting our normal Toyo RR tires in the size we like, 245/40/15 are apparently out of stock everywhere and have been fr months. We were able to get 225/45/15 and ran those up front on the 9" wheels with the 205/50 on the rear with 8" wheels. We went to the track expecting to change springs, rear torsion bars, but the car was super good from the get go, and since it was our first time at the track we decided that we would leave well enough alone and just try to focus on the track. The run group we were in was a little green for us to really get much clear track, but we were able to get a 1:44.07 on one of our few clear laps, but even this lap was compromised in the beginning due to traffic coming out of the final turn. The optimal lap for the session was 1:42.6, and since we were only on the 3rd session ever at the track, and not on the normal tires, I think there is another 2 seconds in the car without much more practice, and then we will see. Turn 6 is scary!
Video of the full session.
2 things that may be of interest to other Fiesta ST owners:
1-you can run less camber and pressure with 225/45 on 9" wheels compared to 245/40. (pretty obvious I guess)
2-The reinforcement braces that mount to the car behind the rear seats and then that tie the fronn tsubframe to the car body are useful. No brand allegiance since we built our own, but it is a noticeable difference in rear inside wheel lift, surprisingly.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
S
Thread Starter #80
Well this past weekend we found and confirmed some of the bad points of the car.....
1-As we knew, the temperature plays a big role in the cars performance. Engine, Tires, intake charge, etc. get hot and the car slows down faster than NA cars or than better weight balance cars....
2-Low speed tracks are not good to us. The car either has too much lag in low RPM 3rd gear(under ~3400-3500) Or it spins the shit out of the tires trying to come out of corners in 2nd gear. This is doubly bad because the car still doesn't turn in as well as we would like, so slightly overslowing on entry makes poor exits all the more difficult.
So long story short we took our fist loss this season.
We got 3rd of 8 behind a 235hp 9th gen Civic race car (by .08s), and a very streetable 2022 GR86 with a decent TT5 setup suspension wise, dynoing at 215hp.(he beat us by 1.1s!)
The slower turns really seem to accentuate the benefits of rear wheel drive and good weight balance F to R.
On a side note, the EBC brake kit with the same RP-1 pads we used at Weathertech the previous week, were perfect, with no fade even though air temps were up to low 90s and the low average speed of the track.
No video unfortunately because we forgot a memory card for the camera, but here is a sample lap speed trace;

Attachments