Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Spark plug tech

I think NGK LTR7IX is the wrong plug for own Ecoboost engine fellas. I brought a set and noticed a difference in the centre electrode design.
I ran the plugs anyway but I notice it was a little harder to start from cold and run on 3 cylinders sometimes for a few seconds.

The OEM plug have a projected centre electrode, these do not. Link to NGK, http://www.ngk.com.au/spark-plugs/technical-information/projection

Image I took so you can see what I mean. OEM plug on the left.

View attachment 2688

My OEM plugs vs new ITV22
Been using ITV20(stock heat range) with stage2, but now at stage4 260whp i should probably put in the itv22.
I was told the itvXX is not the best possible plugs for this car, but the best option at the moment.

IMG_20141124_215318151.jpg

We found the OEM specification for the spark plug GAP

what is the best gap plug to set? is it the factory recommandation? 0.031?

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I'm basically at the point in my 91 octane tune with MAP where a colder plug is needed to prevent negative corrections during my logs. I'm going with NGK 6510 plugs with .028 gap. There are lots of reasons to change to colder plugs and gaps

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
According to Adam, he has been running them for some time without problem. I know the reach is shorter than OEM, but Adam at MAPerformance.com has has good luck with them. I hope to install mine either tonight or Friday so we can move on with my 91 octane etune. Then we do a corn tune.

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #212
I'm running Brisks (one step colder) but the gap was set at .030

I think I will try regapping them to .028

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I'm running Brisks (one step colder) but the gap was set at .030

I think I will try regapping them to .028
Curious as to what's the "reach" on these silver tipped plugs? i.e... how do they compare to OE plug reach?

http://www.fswerks.com/collections/...us-st-2013-on-1-step-colder?variant=457131141

The Brisk RR14YS spark plugs have a colder heat range compared to the stock spark plugs. For light modified 1.6L/2.0L, 2.3L & 3.5L EcoBoost. With projected tip

Spark Plug Heat Range

Heat range is the measure of how fast the spark plug tip dissipates combustion heat. It must do this in a precise and controlled manner so the spark plug will:
?Stay cool enough to avoid pre-ingniton and/or electrode destruction due to detonation.
?Run hot enough to burn off combustion deposits that would otherwise collect on the insulator tip and cause fouling that results in misfire.
?Adapt to specific engine characteristics and widely varying driving/load conditions.

Key Benefits and Applications of Brisk Silver Racing Spark Plugs

? Silver is the best Electric and Heat Conductor - the best material for performance and racing spark plugs
? Superior Ignition Ability Increases Engine Power
? Lower Required Supplied Ignition Voltage
? Good Resistance to Fouling and Easier Starts
? Race Engines and Engines with Hard to Ignite Fuels
? Supercharged / Turbocharged / Nitrous engines
? Excellent for Total Loss Ignition Systems
? Excellent Spark Plug Choice for any Vehicle, Stock or Modified, even for High Mileage Vehicles and Vehicles With Oil Consumption Problems

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #214
Curious as to what's the "reach" on these silver tipped plugs? i.e... how do they compare to OE plug reach?[/I]
I don't really remember. heh. I think they looked like stock reach. I'll take a pic of the two together for comparison sake when I regap the Brisks. With that said, Adam says the Brisks suck, so I may change them out at some point for the NGKs. My ignition advance seems to be a bit inconsistant with the Brisks which he says has been his experience with them as well.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I don't really remember. heh. I think they looked like stock reach. I'll take a pic of the two together for comparison sake when I regap the Brisks. With that said, Adam says the Brisks suck, so I may change them out at some point for the NGKs. My ignition advance seems to be a bit inconsistant with the Brisks which he says has been his experience with them as well.

thanks! that's very good feedback!

OP
pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #216
The Brisks are shorter than stock. I took them out and regapped them to .028", subsequently cylinder #1 plug was so loose I could turn it by hand. I know I snugged them all tight when I put them in two weeks ago.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
The NGK 6510 plugs are shorter than the OEM plugs. The gap on the OEM plugs was .031. I gapped the NGK plugs to .028. No difference in starting or running that I can tell.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
The NGK 6510 plugs are shorter than the OEM plugs. The gap on the OEM plugs was .031. I gapped the NGK plugs to .028. No difference in starting or running that I can tell.
hey thanks for the update...I recall you mentioning having some issues in the past with timing corrections and wondering if you noticed any change in cylinder 1-4 timing corrections (pos or neg) observed moving to a cooler plug?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I ran two logs on Friday. No negative corrections. This was with a new tune.
that good to hear, bet your relieved to see that! Are the positive corrections your seeing more consistent now across all 4 cylinders with these cooler plugs and narrower gap?