Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST stock clutch failure on unmodified car toast at 10k...common?

I suggest you open a case with Ford Corporate, there is a number somewhere, I will see if I can find it, I agree with an earlier post, warranty should cover failures that occur in an unusual time frame. Your slippage may be due to a leaking slave cylinder, or other issue unseen, but with the mileage you have, this is not something common, unless it was prior abuse, but even abused, at that mileage, really? Again, review the warranty information on the Ford website on transmission and clutch and then open a case with corporate and site the dealership that you are trying to work with. Good luck and remember, you get more flies with honey, don't berate the people that will be trying to rectify this. 800-392-3673, also contact the BBB in the area where you bought the car, they will take your complaint and the dealer will want to reply and work with you if it is a reputable dealer. Take notes, keep a timeline, review before talking.
Vhttps://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2016-Car-Lt-Truck-Warranty-version-3_frdwa_EN-US_10_2015.pdf

OP
M
Thread Starter #42
So far the last information I received indicated that the failure was caused by leakage from a failed seal, and would be covered by warranty. Hope nothing changes there, but I'll surely head down that road if it does.

Tomorrow will mark 2 weeks without my car. Hopefully they get it finished successfully and back in my driveway!

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
sorry, too busy to read it all, but I posted about my 2019 w/10,325 miles had a leaking slave cylinder and housing line in the troubleshooting section......I just got it back today.

and FYI: An implied warranty of merchantability is an unwritten and unspoken guarantee to the buyer that goods purchased conform to ordinary standards of care and that they are of the same average grade, quality, and value as similar goods sold under similar circumstances.

OP
M
Thread Starter #44
sorry, too busy to read it all, but I posted about my 2019 w/10,325 miles had a leaking slave cylinder and housing line in the troubleshooting section......I just got it back today.

and FYI: An implied warranty of merchantability is an unwritten and unspoken guarantee to the buyer that goods purchased conform to ordinary standards of care and that they are of the same average grade, quality, and value as similar goods sold under similar circumstances.
Wow, soaked clutch just like mine. Well, it's reassuring to hear that yours is back on the road. Mine has a new clutch too, so it'll be 500 miles of granny driving for me too. 😂

OP
M
Thread Starter #45
Finally got it back today!

Highlights from the tech notes:
Original clutch disk, pressure plate, and flywheel were heavily worn and had scorch marks all over them.
Clutch and bell housing were soaked in brake fluid.
Whole clutch assembly, flywheel, and clutch slave were replaced
Slave leaked as soon as they attempted to bleed it
Replaced the slave once more - no issues identified

The car feels great. Clutch feels like...well, it never felt like this. I guess this is my comparison:

Before:
Heavy pedal
Gritty feel during all parts of travel
Heavy judder upon engagement
Engagement point a bit hazy
Noisy DMF clack during every shift

Now:
Light pedal
Smooth feel during all parts of travel
Smooth engagement
Predictable engagement point
DMF clack still present, but far far less noticeable

I didn't have to pay for anything in the end. Shout out to Liberty Ford in Aurora, OH for getting it sorted out. Took a bit longer than anticipated, and parts delays and defects were a large contributor, but they got it sorted out.

Minor shame to King Ford in Murphy, NC for their unwillingness to help in any way initially. Thankfully, their help wasn't necessary in the end.

--Matt

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Finally got it back today!

Highlights from the tech notes:
Original clutch disk, pressure plate, and flywheel were heavily worn and had scorch marks all over them.
Clutch and bell housing were soaked in brake fluid.
Whole clutch assembly, flywheel, and clutch slave were replaced
Slave leaked as soon as they attempted to bleed it
Replaced the slave once more - no issues identified

The car feels great. Clutch feels like...well, it never felt like this. I guess this is my comparison:

Before:
Heavy pedal
Gritty feel during all parts of travel
Heavy judder upon engagement
Engagement point a bit hazy
Noisy DMF clack during every shift

Now:
Light pedal
Smooth feel during all parts of travel
Smooth engagement
Predictable engagement point
DMF clack still present, but far far less noticeable

I didn't have to pay for anything in the end. Shout out to Liberty Ford in Aurora, OH for getting it sorted out. Took a bit longer than anticipated, and parts delays and defects were a large contributor, but they got it sorted out.

Minor shame to King Ford in Murphy, NC for their unwillingness to help in any way initially. Thankfully, their help wasn't necessary in the end.

--Matt
Glad you got it sorted and found a great dealer during the process to take care of you! You will learn to live with the DMF noise and soon it will fade into the background.

Now go enjoy the car!

OP
M
Thread Starter #47
Glad you got it sorted and found a great dealer during the process to take care of you! You will learn to live with the DMF noise and soon it will fade into the background.

Now go enjoy the car!
Thanks! I'm not too worried about the DMF clack, and understand it to be normal for these cars, but I noticed right away that there is a lot less of it! I'm just glad to have it working again!!

OP
M
Thread Starter #49
500 mile break in is complete. Car seems to drive great, isn't leaking anything, and the clutch definitely isn't slipping anymore.

I have noticed a sort of noise, since I got it back. Kinda sounds like what you'd hear if you put your ear to a long tube or pipe. I notice it at 30-40mph, with the windows up and radio below 5, and it disappears at all other speeds. It varies by speed and not RPMs. I only drove the car about 1000 miles before it was gone for all this, and it was on noisy snow tires, so I honestly can't tell if it's just road noise that was always there. Replacing the tires didn't impact it at all, better or worse. It doesn't seem to be audible outside. There's so much road noise in these cars I'm sorta inclined to just dismiss it as normal.

🤷‍♂️

Last edited: