Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST stock clutch failure on unmodified car toast at 10k...common?

I owned a '13 Fiesta some years back and loved every moment of it. Riding that wave I had been looking for a FiST fitting some specific criteria for a while, and finally found and bought one last month. It's a '19, low miles, Magnetic, gray Recaros, and no sunroof...just like I wanted. The car looked great pre-sale, and I bought it from a few states away by phone. Took a lil bit to get here, but it seemed just fine when it came. Since it arrived in the middle of a snow storm (I'm in OH), I had 16's with snow tires ready when it arrived that were installed that day. Given that it has been on snow tires, it's an FWD car, and I haven't had need to go on any highway trips I've been taking the slow boat with it since it came. The clutch has juddered noticeably just prior to the engagement point since it got here, and the RE050s on it are basically shot, but I didn't really notice much else out of the ordinary.

Anyways, fast forward to a week ago. The sun was shining and we were seeing regular 70 degree temperatures so I put on the summer tires that came with it and was excited to go on my first proper spirited jaunt...only as soon as swung down an unpopulated country road and tried giving her the beans the revs shot up while the speedo stayed put. :cry:

I bought the car certified, from a Ford dealership, with ~9700 miles on it. I've put a gentle 800 on it since, mostly driving my kid back and forth from school, and it has 10,500 miles on it now. I know we've all heard tell, on internet forums and the likes, of some yahoo burning up the clutch on a new car in single digit thousands of miles. I've never actually seen it first hand, though. Having driven nearly entirely manual transmission cars for the last 20 or so years, plenty new and plenty used and every one modified in some way or another (a few even cresting the 200k mile mark on their original clutch), I'm a bit dismayed to see a failure like this on an otherwise stock car.

Are failures like this common on these cars? Searching around on the internet seems to suggest no, and that my car's prior driver must have either abused the crap out of it or not known how to drive for a whopping 9700 miles. Reading up on the stock clutch, it seems to be made by AP Racing (a very reputable company) and easily able to stand up well even on 300+hp cars. The dealership where I bought it seems mostly unwilling to step in and provide any sort of comfort or assistance, and the jury's out on whether or not the failure is caused by some sort of "defect" (in which case Ford would pay for its replacement) or if it's going to fall into the "normal wear and tear" or "abuse" categories (in which case I'll pay for its replacement). I know I took a fair risk buying a car I had never driven from out of state based on pictures and description, and a lot could have gone wrong, but the clutch seems like a bit of a curve ball. It's apparently never been flashed, so whatever's happened seems to have happened at stock power levels.

Sorry for the wall of text. Anyone have any words of wisdom or war stories? It's been one of those days. I love this car, and will do what's necessary to get it driving right again, but she's doing me dirty at the moment.

--Matt

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
They clutch on the ST is very durable compared to some other manufacturers that with any power increase at all they start slipping. That's not the case with this car they can handle power.

This is the problem anytime you buy used car with a manual transmission. The car was either abused or the person could not drive a manual transmission. I would not blame the car at all the prior owner destroyed the clutch.

I definitely understand being frustrated I would be beyond mad.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

PunkST

2000 Post Club
My guess. Some yahoos working at the dealership beat on it every time they got a chance to take a car home on weekends with dealer plates. Or its got 9700 miles of idiot test drivers 🤷. Ford wont do squat about clutches as its a wear item.

OP
M
Thread Starter #5
Thanks guys. Seems like there's a slim (I'm guessing basically non-existent) chance that Ford covers it because something was defective, but it seems like I'm more likely to cough up 1560 and hopefully put this behind me.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Common myth that HP/Torque matters with regard to life of the clutch material.

=============================================================================================

My guess. Some yahoos working at the dealership beat on it every time they got a chance to take a car home on weekends with dealer plates. Or its got 9700 miles of idiot test drivers 🤷. Ford wont do squat about clutches as its a wear item.
Since new, smelled clutch only two times during its life. Upon delivery and once again after getting it back from the dealer post warranty service. I caught a dealer mechanic joy-riding around the parking lot in my previous car. (because I left the waiting area and wondered around to the back) There are videos out there of people having put hidden cameras in their rides and...

SteveS

1000 Post Club
The Ford CPO gives you a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty that reads pretty much like the original car's warranty. Plus you car is still in the original warranty period. Neither of those covers the clutch, as it's a wear item. However, I would call the dealer and try to get them to cover the problem as a defect when you purchased the car, and they missed it at their inspection. The worst that can happen is that they say no.

OP
M
Thread Starter #8
The Ford CPO gives you a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty that reads pretty much like the original car's warranty. Plus you car is still in the original warranty period. Neither of those covers the clutch, as it's a wear item. However, I would call the dealer and try to get them to cover the problem as a defect when you purchased the car, and they missed it at their inspection. The worst that can happen is that they say no.
Yeah, we went through all that yesterday. The selling dealer made it clear that they won't be involved. Not happy about that, but it is what it is I guess.

OP
M
Thread Starter #11
It's on my list. If I end up paying for this, I plan on trying one more time with them. If they really leave me in the cold, you'll find out who they are.

I would suggest that you contact a Lawyer. Because as a Certified Pre Owned Vehicle you are granted some implied rights in regards to condition. One of those rights is that the car you are purchasing is in a condition that is appropriate for the mileage. Obviously that clutch is NOT in a condition appropriate for the mileage. Quite simply take that dealership to Court. You can tell the service manager of your intent to sue just to see of they will replace the clutch on their dime but I suspect they won't do anything until notice of the lawsuit hits the dealer management. Then they'll probably start to offer "discounts". Do NOT accept anything but a full replacement on your terms.

I will also note that when you replace the clutch you need to make sure it's done properly. This means you replace the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and slave cylinder. Because all of these items are critical for a long service life with the new clutch and the slave cylinder is notorious for being somewhat fragile.

PS; this is also a reason why you should test drive every used car you purchase. Had you done that you would have likely walked away from this car.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
"the RE050s on it are basically shot,"
At low miles? How low? Sounds like the PO liked to do burnouts.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
^ burnouts on the clutch LoL...
The person that used to own that FiST, bought a vette...
View: https://youtu.be/7_Qo4yTzalU

(note: there are tons of videos like this)

Some helpful comments. Adding to Scotter123's comment, make sure you get the old parts... though in my experiences they always pretend to be clueless and say they're gone when you ask for them. Also be careful with tone as there are many ways to "fix" a "hostile" customer's vehicle.

OP
M
Thread Starter #16
PS; this is also a reason why you should test drive every used car you purchase. Had you done that you would have likely walked away from this car.
Well, yeah, that's typically the best course. A multi day trip to NC and back wasn't in the cards for me, I couldn't find anything even within 2-3 states, and buying from a dealership seemed like a safe bet. I could have never predicted this.

^ burnouts on the clutch LoL...
The person that used to own that FiST, bought a vette...
View: https://youtu.be/7_Qo4yTzalU

(note: there are tons of videos like this)

Some helpful comments. Adding to Scotter123's comment, make sure you get the old parts... though in my experiences they always pretend to be clueless and say they're gone when you ask for them. Also be careful with tone as there are many ways to "fix" a "hostile" customer's vehicle.
Good call.

OP
M
Thread Starter #17
Also try calling corporate and see what they say.
Yeah, I probably will. They're unlikely to do anything until the dealership submits the info they find, which will happen Tuesday.

haste

1000 Post Club
I feel for ya man. I hope it wasn't Capital Ford. They SUCK. I only buy parts from my local Capital Ford as their service department can't even change tires without screwing something up.

OP
M
Thread Starter #19
My local dealer here in OH (Liberty Ford) has been really helpful so far, even though I didn't buy it from them. Hopefully it end up OK 🤞

--Matt

Negi

I took mine in at the Stealership i bought it from,for trans being super notchy in the cold.I also told them the rear brake pins are rusted.Also oil residue on the Axle and driveshaft.They didnt do shit and car was there overnight.Taking it to another Dealership where on of the local Member Dad is the GM.Car only has 13k miles