Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Flywheel, Clutch, or Input Shaft Bearing?

2014 here. I had a clutch and slave cylinder put in back in March, about 10,000 miles ago and have developed a “ticking” sound. I only had the clutch replaced and had to reuse the flywheel as I was mid-trip across several states and couldn’t wait the 2-3 weeks to get the flywheel from the dealer. Here’s video in which you can hear it, it’s louder in the car than what the video picks up. Any ideas? I’ve read the DM flywheels can get noisy, but I’ve also read the horror stories of the input shaft bearing dying very early in the life of some of these.

Attachments

Yeah, that's not the flywheel. I'm guessing the fact that the sound is not rev dependent points to the output shaft and onwards from there. Bearing or maybe a gear got chewed up somehow?

OP
B
Thread Starter #4
I don’t think it’s a gear, car shifts smoothly and other than the sound, you’d never know anything was wrong.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Does it make that sound when rev'd in neutral?

OP
B
Thread Starter #6
No, doesn’t make the sound when rev’d in neutral. Drained the MTF today l, as I have no idea what the shop used when I had the clutch changed and wanted to see if there was any metallic bits in it. Thankfully there weren’t any bits or flakes.

Shop must have used the fill till it leaks out method, because more than 2L came out. Refilled it with 2L of Ravenol MTF2.

Zormecteon

Mine used to click in neutral, but would stop when I held the clutch in. Turned out to be the dual mass flywheel was separating. It was like that for over 20,000 miles before the slave cylinder failed. (not related) but that's when it got fixed.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mine used to click in neutral, but would stop when I held the clutch in. Turned out to be the dual mass flywheel was separating. It was like that for over 20,000 miles before the slave cylinder failed. (not related) but that's when it got fixed.
When it finally let go...what happened?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
B
Thread Starter #9
When my slave went, pedal hit the floor and stayed. Was able to get it off the highway and into a parking lot. Had a burnt out clutch and nice puddle of brake fluid under the car.

Zormecteon

I was out driving and the clutch pedal stay near the floor, about 1/2 up. I got home by running picking a route with the least number or stop signs and running them. Once home, I turned off the car. I tried pulling up on the pedal by hand and it stayed up. Then I tried to start the car in neutral. I was able to do that, so I turned it off and made an appointment at the shop.

OP
B
Thread Starter #11
I was out driving and the clutch pedal stay near the floor, about 1/2 up. I got home by running picking a route with the least number or stop signs and running them. Once home, I turned off the car. I tried pulling up on the pedal by hand and it stayed up. Then I tried to start the car in neutral. I was able to do that, so I turned it off and made an appointment at the shop.
You’re lucky, I was in the middle of the mountains between Tennessee and North Carolina.