Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Focus RS Now Confirmed for America

I can't wait for my dealership to get these in. Selling these will be a treat since I love performance car. "why don't you put it in 3rd gear and see what it can do?" lol

345hp confirmed with awd......oh my. Just a slight bit of fun up here in twisty roads of the Smokey Mountains. [hihi]

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #183
Ford Focus RS Numbers Confirmed - 345hp / 347tq

Ford has finally disclosed output numbers for the 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine powering the long-awaited Focus RS.

The final numbers have arrived and the all-wheel drive compact hatchback will offer 350 PS (345 bhp / 257 kW) and 440 Nm (324 lb-ft) of torque, with 470 Nm (347 lb-ft) available for up to 15 seconds when overboost is activated.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/25/ford-focus-rs-345-horsepower-video-official/

ford-focus-rs-01-1.jpg

[HR][/HR]

Ford Press Release 6/25/2015

FORD REVEALS 350 PS OUTPUT FOR ALL-NEW FOCUS RS AS KEN BLOCK UNLEASHES HIGH-PERFORMANCE HATCHBACK AT GOODWOOD
-

GOODWOOD, U.K., June 25, 2015 ? Ford today announced that the all-new Focus RS high-performance hatchback will deliver a maximum power output of 350 PS. The Ford Performance-developed model features a unique version of the new 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine that debuted with the all-new Ford Mustang.

Ford will demonstrate the performance of the all-new Focus RS to the public for the first time at the 2015 Goodwood Festival of Speed, U.K., where Ken Block ? Gymkhana and World Rallycross star ? will tackle the famous Hillclimb at the wheel of a prototype car.

"We promised enthusiasts a serious driving machine and, with 350 PS under the hood, that is exactly what we will deliver," said Dave Pericak, global director, Ford Performance. "The stunning pace and innovative technology of the all-new Focus RS place it head-to-head with performance models from luxury and exotic marques, and it's ready for the challenge."

With Focus RS, Ford is introducing its Ford Performance All-Wheel Drive with Dynamic Torque Vectoring. The innovative system helps delivers a new level of handling capability and driver enjoyment by combining outstanding traction and grip with unmatched agility and cornering speed.

The Focus RS is the first Ford RS model equipped with selectable Drive Modes ? including an industry-first Drift Mode that allows controlled oversteer drifts ? and Launch Control.

High-performance EcoBoost powertrain specially engineered for RS

The new 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine for the all-new Focus RS shares its fundamental structure with the all-aluminium four-cylinder engine in the all-new Ford Mustang. The engine has been significantly upgraded for the Focus RS to deliver 10 per cent more power with 350 PS maximum output.

Increased power is generated by a new low-inertia twin-scroll turbocharger with larger compressor that delivers significantly greater air flow, along with a much bigger intercooler to maximise charge density. Engine breathing also is enhanced through a less restrictive intake design, and a large-bore high performance exhaust system with an electronically controlled valve in the tailpipe that helps optimise the balance of back pressure and noise output.

The cylinder head is produced from an upgraded alloy material capable of withstanding higher temperatures, while the cylinder block employs stronger high-tensile cast iron liners.

Engine cooling also has been given the highest priority, with engineers creating additional space within the front of the vehicle to house a significantly larger radiator pack ? the biggest ever fitted to a Focus ? which provides the level of cooling demanded for intense circuit driving.

Meticulous calibration work has ensured that the power unit delivers excellent low-end responsiveness with a powerful mid-range pull, climbing to a free-revving top-end up to a maximum rev limit of 6,800 rpm. Maximum torque of 440 Nm is delivered between 2,000 and 4,500 rpm, with 470 Nm available for up to 15 seconds on transient overboost during hard acceleration.

Inspiring performance demands an inspiring soundtrack. Ford Performance engineers have tuned the RS to deliver a rewarding and sporty sound character during spirited driving, with the distinctive burbles and pops that are a RS signature.

"This very special 2.3-litre EcoBoost unit will inspire drivers as they feel the surge of the turbo, and reward them as they take it to the red line ? all delivered with a visceral sound guaranteed to put a smile on your face," Pericak said.

Developed by a team of Ford Performance engineers in Europe and the U.S., the all-new Focus RS is the third generation of Focus RS cars, following models launched in 2002 and 2009. The 30th car to wear the legendary RS badge, the Focus RS will be built in Saarlouis, Germany.

Focus RS is one of 12 new performance vehicles Ford will bring to customers globally through 2020 as part of a new era of Ford performance, and will be available for delivery to European customers from early 2016.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Of course the tuners will bring up those numbers easily enough, not that 345HP would be slow but the car will easily make more and take it I am sure:)

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #185
Considering that it's also AWD, I'm sure this thing is going to be a beast even before tuning...I could only imagine how far the tuners take this once they get their hands on this! :)

This sounds very good.

But please tell me where you can drive those power in the USA for legal?
For me as a german it's no problem to drive this car at top speed on german autobahn but when I was in the USA last November I was a little bit frustrated with my rental car, a Mustang Convertible V6, which has
enough power but the speed limit was 65 or 75 miles per hour.
2 weeks ago I have driven the new Mustang V8 for a test drive here in Germany with a speed of 140 mp/h (240 km/h).(Couldn't drive faster because of traffic. :-( ) And this is how a Mustang must drive. So please tell me how you could use those power for legal?

This sounds very good.

For me as a german it's no problem to drive this car at top speed on german autobahn but when I was in the USA last November I was a little bit frustrated with my rental car, a Mustang Convertible V6, which has
2 weeks ago I have driven the new Mustang V8 for a test drive here in Germany with a speed of 140 mp/h (240 km/h).(Couldn't drive faster because of traffic. :-( ) And this is how a Mustang must drive. So please tell me how you could use those power for legal?[/QUOTE

Legal driving ? While there are no unlimited speed highways like the autobahn, there are thousands of more miles of twisty curvy roads to legally have fun with the Focus RS versus Germany.......the USA is probably 20 times larger land mass wise and that's excluding Alaska.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
This sounds very good.

2 weeks ago I have driven the new Mustang V8 for a test drive here in Germany with a speed of 140 mp/h (240 km/h).(Couldn't drive faster because of traffic. :-( ) And this is how a Mustang must drive. So please tell me how you could use those power for legal?
That's a pretty ridiculous thought. Just because we have speed-limited roads (which are higher than the majority of comparably-limited roads in Europe) doesn't mean that we shouldn't have vehicles that can exceed them. You can get a bicycle to 60 mph in the right conditions. I guess we don't need anything more powerful than that?

We have plenty of tracks, both straight, autocross, and road, that are at our disposal and can be utilized in a safe manner, legally. Just because we can't hit the speed limiter every single day doesn't make the car worthless. Those that have the capacity to drive a vehicle legally and responsibly shouldn't be limited to a certain output. It may not be a daily occurrence, but there is still plenty of legal opportunity.

Tl;dr-Your argument is irrelevant.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
That is why I no longer have the very modded and fast Vette I used to have, convertible and no roll bar made that is safe and fits properly allowing use of the top, etc..I only want pure track or street/track cars that are easy to drive on the street which my FiST is great at and faster than some may believe on a track, going to be quicker now with much added power:) I have had several very quick street/track cars and rarely use them on the street to go fast and never all out, just not prudent, wise, etc.....going all out to me is not a stoplight race, it is in the mountains, back roads, etc....turns are what I love.

I will take a look at the RS when available as I want to get an all season vehicle, AWD, etc but might end up with a little SUV instead.

Legal driving ? While there are no unlimited speed highways like the autobahn, there are thousands of more miles of twisty curvy roads to legally have fun with the Focus RS versus Germany.......the USA is probably 20 times larger land mass wise and that's excluding Alaska.
We have curvy roads here too. And yes I know that they are making fun. But when I have a car with power I will not only drive curvy roads. I want sometimes drive fast to the limits of the car. Please don't misunderstand me. I love the USA. In my mind I was born in the wrong country. And I love all of your great V8 cars. But driving them here in Germany costs a lot of money and espacially gas. And our gas prices are 4 times more expensive then in the US.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
We have had it made on fuel prices for a very long time thus more powerful cars for the masses available and more roads....it used to be relatively easy to go 100MPH which was my cruising speed for hundreds of thousands of miles and not get caught, I put in 51k miles mostly at that or higher in 6 months in 1990 crossing WA State and back forth every weekend and never got pulled over. I drove a 95 Tacoma through Montana, over two passes, 400 miles, gas stop, 4 hours in 1996. Now every state is out for blood(money) and it is just too much risk and far more traffic as well so I drive 5 over and sometimes 10 but that is it. I just save up the fun for a little short term play here and there but the real fun on a race track which is the only safe place to go all out, at ones own risk and I do get a bit risky, probably more so than I should so I am working on that as will be on a great deal of unknown to me tracks soon.

I work from a different perspective than many when it comes to building up a car, handling and brakes are first, dial up the power to match, in the end far quicker in most all situations than the cars built primarily from a power perspective and I have beaten a huge number of higher powered but less sorted out cars over the decades.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #192
For me it's not about ultra high speed driving with unlimited speed limits that excites me but moreso about handling and response in the turns as well as quick acceleration and flat torque response without being strained that the AWD Focus RS appears to bring to the table....

For me it's not about ultra high speed driving with unlimited speed limits that excites me but moreso about handling and response in the turns as well as quick acceleration and flat torque response without being strained that the AWD Focus RS appears to bring to the table....

AMEN amigo.........this thing is going to be a twisty road AWD slayer, that is the primary purpose I am going to purchase it.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I do find AWD fun, especially in bad weather, but in some ways too easy to get yourself out of a jamb, just use more throttle:)

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
New local numbers conformation.

I was told by a reliable source that Galpin Ford (the largest volume dealer in the world) will be receiving 13 Focus RSs.
This is the largest quantity that ANY dealer will receive.
Of course many dealers will receive none.
It has also been disclosed that the MSRP will just under $43K.
It has also been suggested that all dealers will be placing a $20K over sticker on each car.

BTW, Galpin currently has a waiting list that is over 48 people long.
They are negotiating with other dealers to get more.
So unless you already have a purchase order, you may not be getting one.

Dave

rodmoe

5000 Post Club

I was told by a reliable source that Galpin Ford (the largest volume dealer in the world) will be receiving 13 Focus RSs.
It has also been suggested that all dealers will be placing a $20K over sticker on each car.

Dave
Ouch that smarts ...

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran

Dave
$2k or $20k over?