Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fog on Windshield

So this is weird. Have had my ST for a couple months, but I've noticed that when it rains the thing is almost undriveable due to fog on the windshield. The inside of the windshield gets very foggy/cloudy and it almost has an oily/chemically appearance that makes it really difficult to see. If I put on full defrost and heat, it all goes away within 10 seconds. That said, the second I turn off the heat the fog and oily residue look comes back. Seeing as it's been 80-90 up until recently, I can't just drive around with my heat on full blast to keep the issue at bay.

Anyone else had this problem? Is it a known issue, a seal issue, or maybe something addressed by how I'm washing my car?

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
This is normal. Oily film get produced from chemicals used on the dash to clean it, or other pollution film. To fix this you need to thoroughly clean the windshield interior. I would even suggest clay bar. Problem will go away.

Like everyone has said you should clean the interior with a window cleaner and good waffle weave microfiber towel, and if it's still bothering you and not clean enough just clay bar it.

Zormecteon

One of the tricks to prevent moisture collecting on the windshield.. or help reduce it is

Fill a sock with cat litter.. (the clay kind), tie it off with a knot and throw it under a seat. It will act as a desiccant.

My 2?

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
One of the tricks to prevent moisture collecting on the windshield.. or help reduce it is

Fill a sock with cat litter.. (the clay kind), tie it off with a knot and throw it under a seat. It will act as a desiccant.

My 2?
Silica packets if you can get a few and uncooked rice also work.

My 2?
Silica packets if you can get a few and uncooked rice also work.
Is this a real thing? lol

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Is this a real thing? lol
Yes if you get your interior wet. Similar to drying a cell phone. Vacuum up as much moisture and place a moisture absorbing material in the cabin. Running AC or heat is effective but the engine must run for that. No moisture to fog up/attach to the dirt on the windows.

So this is weird. Have had my ST for a couple months, but I've noticed that when it rains the thing is almost undriveable due to fog on the windshield. The inside of the windshield gets very foggy/cloudy and it almost has an oily/chemically appearance that makes it really difficult to see. If I put on full defrost and heat, it all goes away within 10 seconds. That said, the second I turn off the heat the fog and oily residue look comes back. Seeing as it's been 80-90 up until recently, I can't just drive around with my heat on full blast to keep the issue at bay.

Anyone else had this problem? Is it a known issue, a seal issue, or maybe something addressed by how I'm washing my car?
Believe it or not, what you're seeing is that new car smell. New car smell is all the new plastic and assorted cleaners, conditioners, etc. off-gassing. That's the film on your windshield. I had to clean mine a few times during the first couple months, after that the problem went away.

A7xogg

Yeah just clean it. Unlucky for me I live in Virginia and the humidity has been outrageous so the windows get dirty quick

Believe it or not, what you're seeing is that new car smell. New car smell is all the new plastic and assorted cleaners, conditioners, etc. off-gassing. That's the film on your windshield. I had to clean mine a few times during the first couple months, after that the problem went away.
That's what I was told too, but I had my last ST for 3 years and it never went away. It drove me nuts. I just traded it in for a 2016 ST and it's doing the same thing. I've tried window cleaner with multiple types of towels, but it still looks all streaky and foggy on the inside at times.

That's what I was told too, but I had my last ST for 3 years and it never went away. It drove me nuts. I just traded it in for a 2016 ST and it's doing the same thing. I've tried window cleaner with multiple types of towels, but it still looks all streaky and foggy on the inside at times.
One thing that helps a ton with getting all the film off the windows and leaves them spotless and streak free is to trust the expertise of the bums. Don't use paper towels. Use a balled up newspaper page. I don't know why it works so well, but it leaves glass perfect.

rexdriver85

Cleaning glass is very hard. It's most professional detailers least favorite part of a job.

I've been battling the off-gassing too. I've gotten it down to using a waffle weave glass specific microfiber towel with invisible glass (I've tried so many glass cleaners and this is the best) and then following up with a dry microfiber to buff it.

It's been working well for me at least. Never did try the ol' newspaper trick though.

Zormecteon

Newspaper works because it is just slightly abrasive. It is NOT absorbent like paper towels. It acts like super duper fine sand paper on glass.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I'm glad I saw this, as I'm also experiencing the same issue. I will try the glass cleaner with waffle weave microfibers and see where that leads me.

OP
N
Thread Starter #19
I'm glad I saw this, as I'm also experiencing the same issue. I will try the glass cleaner with waffle weave microfibers and see where that leads me.
Hey! I went the cheapest and easiest route first, and after experiencing rain yesterday it appears to have worked. I picked up a bottle of Invisible Glass Cleaner at auto zone. Liberally used that and wiped down the inside of my windshield with a microfiber towel. Like I said, issues appears to be better if not resolved completely. Thanks for the tips everyone! I assumed it was a seal or climate control issue and never even considered cleaning it.