Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford Fiesta ST is it worth buying an extended car warranty?

Admin1

Staff Member
Model_BillboardImage_136B520C-AB23-2CB2-5B78-10D15B7810D1.jpg
After dedicating an afternoon (or more) to test driving, negotiating, and completing a pile of paperwork for your shiny new Fiesta ST, the bubble-bursting finance manager gives a compelling pitch for an extended warranty. It is for your peace of mind, right? Well, not really.

The last-ditch effort to sell you a warranty, or various other unnecessary services, is the dealership's final assault on your checkbook before you tuck it securely away and drive off. Sure, the pitch is convincing: Should an expensive repair be necessary after the factory warranty ends, you'd be protected. No one wants a big, financial surprise, nor wishes to be stranded roadside.

ut breathe deep and think this through. The sale of the warranty is a profit item, with the dealership serving as the middle man. The premise is that the customer will not need repairs in excess of the warranty cost, minus profit to the dealership and the warranty plan provider. Since extended service contract pricing is not regulated, dealers charge whatever the market will bear, and a 50-percent cut for sales commissions is not unusual. By contrast, our past research has shown that only 17 percent of your annual premium for auto insurance goes to commissions and other selling expenses. In other words, an extended warranty is usually not in the customer's interest.

that isn't enough to dissuade you, hear me out. A few years ago, Consumer Reports proved the dubiousness of this pitch by surveying 8,000 owners of five- and six-year-old vehicles that had been covered by extended service plans. Sixty-five percent of those surveyed said they spent significantly more for the contract than they got back in repair-cost savings. Respondents said their extended warranty cost them $1,000 on average while providing an average benefit of $700. That means the average loss was $300. A big reason: 42 percent of extended warranties in our survey were never used, in most cases because the vehicle didn't need repairs or the standard manufacturer's warranty sufficed.

Another reason people were dissatisfied was because the repair was not covered. Clich?s about reading the fine print are especially appropriate when talking about extended warranties. The brochure may present the service plan as "comprehensive," but the contract will likely have numerous limitations, such as requiring documented service at in-network shops and covering only certain parts, rather than whole systems.

Rather than invest in an extended warranty, we recommend buying the most reliable car that suits your needs, budget, and taste and taking good care of it. Sometimes, this can mean spending more upfront, but the reward is typically lower ownership costs and even better resale value. But, if you're heart is set on a model known to be unreliable, an extended warranty can provide some protection. Just approach with caution, negotiate the price, and be aware that if you roll the cost into your financing, you'll be paying interest on it for years to come.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Strange that everything I've had covered under my extended warranty still works our cheaper than if I didn't have it! I'm covered for everything except tyres and battery. I have saved money!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I might add I am currently considering doing the extended warranty. Due to the fact that our cars have a few common problems that while not affecting overall drivability can be a costly inconvenience.
The first one that comes to mind is the dreaded blend door actuators. I just had a mode door and a blend door done on the tail end of my 36 month regular warranty due to run out on the 9th of July.
Now lets look at some interesting factors here.
1. ease of repair, of the 3 common out of 4 one is easily accessible from the glove box area by removing it. The second on the opposite side takes around an hour for install and remove and requires the person to be a bit of contortionist. Doable but for the older or larger folks really a pain in the butt. The worst offender is for your window defroster and sits at the back and underneath your dash. Dash removal is required for this one . at a shop this is like a $800 job.
2. These things fail repeatedly, several members have had them done under warranty and then done again outside of warranty some 20-40k later. Now if you plan to keep the car a long time or drive it a lot of miles chances are you could get hit with this job multiple times. Mine failed at 15k and just under 3 years.
So lets look at costs say mechanic outside the dealership and this varies by area as well per cost of living locally. It could be anywhere from a low of around $70 per hour to an easy $100 .
So my car with two being done was brought into the dealership at around 10:35 -10: 45 in the morning. It say for around a half hour as they were very busy. So work was started at roughly 11;15 now they did remove and do tests on the mode actuator to mark sure it was failing and yes it was. So give them an hour to remove and a hour to install both items. That would be $150-200 plus parts add in another $80-100 for parts. Roughly $300 with parts and labor at an independent shop is probably not a bad ball park.
now repeat that twice or 3 times and you are already close to 1k in expenses .

That is just for one area of things that could go wrong. If the back of the dash one happens thats an easy $800 . You are pretty much at the cost of the extended warranty.
Here is the other deal. I have a friend who is a master tech at a dealership and used to be my go to private mechanic till he got too busy .

Yes I wrench on stuff myself too but I do not have the place to do a lot of jobs. ( condo apt life)

We were talking about this and he said to me Dave I used to be all against extended warranties calling them a rip off when I was working at the independent shops. Then I started working at the dealership with the newer vehicles and I saw just how much stuff could fail that would not affect the drivetrain but be a major inconvenience and cost a lot to repair, now I think they are totally worth it.

examples from above and a couple more thrown in…
Blend door actuators( they fail on a lot of cars not just ours) .
Window regulators ( some are more complicated to remove than you would believe and I have seen that first hand at friends shops). etc….

. These can and do add up and when all is said and done all of sudden the extended warranty cost is not that unreasonable.
Hell you get the premium one with a deductible and they even replace blow speakers. lol

Ya I am most like about to buy an extended warranty for the little BS as I pan on owning this car a long time. I am not extremely worried about the drivetrain. Its all the body BS that I have seen fail in so many modern older cars. Lots of electrical and electronic to go bad even in our cars.
It can be worth it if you plan on owning the car for 5-8 years or more.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Don’t forget you get a warranty on parts installed by Ford. My extended warranty didn’t get hit by the second blend door actuator failure because it was still under parts warranty.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Don’t forget you get a warranty on parts installed by Ford. My extended warranty didn’t get hit by the second blend door actuator failure because it was still under parts warranty.
it failed within a year? Because I read the parts warranty on my receipt and could have sworn it was only 12 months 12k..

dhminer

2000 Post Club
You are right I looked again its a two year. Seeing as it took 3 years for the first two to go out its kinda of a coin toss .
Yeah extended warranties are a toss up in general. I got a great deal on the car otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I add the ESP warranty on all my new cars because, not only are most parts now sold as assemblies but also highly electronic and therefore very expensive.
In addition as most of you know, a great deal of these OEM assemblies are provided by overseas vendors and due to high costs, not kept in stock by dealers any more.
Sometimes the acquisition of parts can take many days if not weeks.
The ESP warranty provides for a free rental are.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Hehehe that is where I bought mine. Premium plan under $1500 for 8 years $100 deductible.

I add the ESP warranty on all my new cars because, not only are most parts now sold as assemblies but also highly electronic and therefore very expensive.
In addition as most of you know, a great deal of these OEM assemblies are provided by overseas vendors and due to high costs, not kept in stock by dealers any more.
Sometimes the acquisition of parts can take many days if not weeks.
The ESP warranty provides for a free rental are.
Its the electronics and interior items that were my biggest concerns. I was not too concerned about my drivetrain stuff.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
God forbid you have any modifications.
Two things , First mods are not an issue if the part in question is not related to the mods. Second any dealer that says because you have mods someplace unrelated to the warranty issue is basically full of it. You should not be going to that dealer in the first place which leads me to what I alway suggest is look for Ford Performance dealers then tend to not blink eyes as much at mods.

With that if something I have modded fails its on me because I modded its on me.
I already mentioned I am not too concerned about drivetrain. Its pretty robust. Most people do not have drivetrain issues in our cars especially with the later model years .
I already had a blend door actuator and a mode actuator fail just under my 36 month warranty and get replaced at no cost too me. My car had quite a few mods no one did or said anything about them.
If my engine blew up well ya I am bigger turbo and I am not about to put that on my warranty it would be a bit dishonest. Do I think my engine will blow up? No because I am not trying to push 30psi + boost levels.
What will more likely fail is stuff like BCM, blend doors, window regulators etc… all that stuff can wind up being quite expensive and if a few of those things fail in the next 5 years I am completely covered and it was worth the extra $1400+ it cost . If you think about it I bought my car below invoice by over 2k So if you took what I paid for my car and add in the cost of the extended warranty I am still under invoice for my car.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Why not just get a warranty with the many (scammers) that buzz your cell phone in a month's time? 😄

They offer it because it makes money for them.

EDIT: BTW if anyone wants to blow an engine with altered programming or other then file a claim on an EXTENDED warranty go right ahead. Just don't do it under basic manufacturer warranty because that's the crap that we new car buyers had to pay for.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Why not just get a warranty with the many (scammers) that buzz your cell phone in a month's time? 😄

They offer it because it makes money for them.

EDIT: BTW if anyone wants to blow an engine with altered programming or other then file a claim on an EXTENDED warranty go right ahead. Just don't do it under basic manufacturer warranty because that's the crap that we new car buyers had to pay for.
One could use that argument but I will say that a good friend long time tech who has worked independently and for dealers said to me and ya I have said this before but your comment begs to have it said again “Dave I used to be all against extended warranties when I worked in independent shops . The I started working at dealers and saw just how many things could and did go wrong that would cost a owner a lot of money to fix, It totally changed my position”
In other words especially on newer cars with tons of electronics to fail and extended warranty can be a good thing if one plans on keeping their car for more than 3 years.
Getting one from the brand may or may not be better though I would tend to trust the brands warranty over a third party any day of the week.
I should add the Zeigler Ford price on the Ford warranty is like half the price or more of what any of the local Ford dealers would sell it for. It’s why I bought it.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Like anything it's a gamble... one that they by far most often win... which is why they offer it.

Roughly 15 years ago I used to work at the corporate headquarters for a national used car franchise chain and it was one of the biggest money makers for them. They pushed it HARD.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Like anything it's a gamble... one that they by far most often win... which is why they offer it.

Roughly 15 years ago I used to work at the corporate headquarters for a national used car franchise chain and it was one of the biggest money makers for them. They pushed it HARD.
Oh I get that but 15 years ago electronics were just beginnng to get extensive and most used cars were not even half as electronically sophisticated as today. You are using the past to measure this stuff by I am looking at now. It’s really not the same IMO

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I don't see a lot of electrical issues here. The only things it covered were "big ticket" items that would likely make the person abandon the loan. (the vehicle they didn't care about) So it basically covered core engine and transmission. Nothing electrical. Nothing attached to the engine or transmission. The documentation was cleverly concocted. That wasn't spelled out in such simple terms. Most of the phone calls we received the purchasers were unaware. The repairs were only covered at their garages except in cases where they were literally hundreds of miles from a garage. Overwhelming majority paid for said repairs completely out of pocket. Those that were covered, still had a deductible that was several hundred dollars. On top of that, they'd get a junkyard engine or transmission as a replacement and those would often come with their own set of issues.