Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford MyTouch to Sync3 With CarPlay Upgrade

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
You bastard!!

Mine hasn’t changed at all. [emoji853]
That’s the new AA screen. I have SYNC 3 from 2016, and haven’t been updating the builds for at least the last two versions. Once google updated AA, that’s what I got - frankly, I prefer the old one, as you can’t pin the apps to the top row, despite what you’d expect based on the way it looks.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #222
That’s the new AA screen. I have SYNC 3 from 2016, and haven’t been updating the builds for at least the last two versions. Once google updated AA, that’s what I got - frankly, I prefer the old one, as you can’t pin the apps to the top row, despite what you’d expect based on the way it looks.
Gotcha! I don't use AA so it just looks 'updated' which is why I complained. Buuuuut, I've recently updated my iOS and should have the newer CarPlay functionality! Time for a test drive!

Hey guys, so im looking at doing the Sync3 upgrade from MFT, i found a junker with a DISP(G1BT18B955TD)MOD(G1BT14G370CM), based on my research the screen should be the right part number but im not too sure on the module? They are asking $350 USD for both

Edit: Preferably with Nav for the upgrade

Last edited:
OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #224
Hey guys, so im looking at doing the Sync3 upgrade from MFT, i found a junker with a DISP(G1BT18B955TD)MOD(G1BT14G370CM), based on my research the screen should be the right part number but im not too sure on the module? They are asking $350 USD for both

Edit: Preferably with Nav for the upgrade
ALWAYS phone and ask the wrecker to confirm the VIN of the donor car and once you’ve taken that information, confirm with Ford (call your local dealer) that it was a Sync3 equipped vehicle. A return call to the wrecker will confirm they have the screen and module or need to pull it ( they usually pull on demand) so this is when you ask to get the harness / USB hub.

It’s become evident that you can either find a screen from a wrecked Fiesta ST with the screen programmed correctly, or from a different Ford product with the 6.5” screen and then flash it through the OBD port.

ALWAYS phone and ask the wrecker to confirm the VIN of the donor car and once you’ve taken that information, confirm with Ford (call your local dealer) that it was a Sync3 equipped vehicle. A return call to the wrecker will confirm they have the screen and module or need to pull it ( they usually pull on demand) so this is when you ask to get the harness / USB hub.

It’s become evident that you can either find a screen from a wrecked Fiesta ST with the screen programmed correctly, or from a different Ford product with the 6.5” screen and then flash it through the OBD port.
Just to add, when I got my screen the wrecker I actually bought from didn't realize or care that the APIM module was still attached to the screen. I would say they are charging a bit much, although all the nav APIMs I saw on ebay were way more expensive than the non nav. Lkq seems to run a bit tighter ship, if I was you I'd probably order just the screen, and hope they send the APIM as well. If they don't you can always call and get them to send it after you have gotten the screen.

Just wanted to update. J2BT-14G370-ABA (NON-NAV) also works, off a junker 2017 SE I believe, I still have to update the firmware and program the VIN but it works!! Junker had it listed as screen only and i called and they said it was both screen and APIM with the cable, and were nice enough to send me a picture. I got this thing for $130 with shipping, the new hub was about $28 off ebay, and i was lazy and didnt want to pull the console off so i opted for the plug and play adapter for the hub ( i believe this one was a Sync 3 Gen 2b) for $15 off ebay for a whopping total $174. This thread definitely made it easier so hats off to the OP!

What did everyone that swapped do with their old unit?
APIM J2BT-14G370-ABA.jpg Sync3.jpg

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #227
Just wanted to update. J2BT-14G370-ABA (NON-NAV) also works, off a junker 2017 SE I believe, I still have to update the firmware and program the VIN but it works!! Junker had it listed as screen only and i called and they said it was both screen and APIM with the cable, and were nice enough to send me a picture. I got this thing for $130 with shipping, the new hub was about $28 off ebay, and i was lazy and didnt want to pull the console off so i opted for the plug and play adapter for the hub ( i believe this one was a Sync 3 Gen 2b) for $15 off ebay for a whopping total $174. This thread definitely made it easier so hats off to the OP!

What did everyone that swapped do with their old unit?
View attachment 24892 View attachment 24894
Kept it incase this all went south! ha! I think I am clear to chuck it now...

Fluffy

Okay. I got my replacement sync stereo installed, and I appear to have a glitch with it... the backlight does not seem to shut off. I programmed it with a vin from a newer model and everything appears to be working fine except for the backlight. Anyone have any ideas on why is doing this?

ioan

Does Sync 3 have built in HD radio or I have to replace something else too to get HD radio?

Another question, replacing Sync 2 with Sync 3 with Navigation is it worth $205 (screen + control module + cable)? That's what I got as a counter offer for one on ebay. What do you think?

Last edited:
OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #230
Does Sync 3 have built in HD radio or I have to replace something else too to get HD radio?

Another question, replacing Sync 2 with Sync 3 with Navigation is it worth $205 (screen + control module + cable)? That's what I got as a counter offer for one on ebay. What do you think?
You're asking us if this upgrade is worth it???

Yes. Yes, it is.

I wouldn't worry about navigation if you have a decent cell plan and have Google Maps App already. That's a good price for the 3 pieces, you'll just have to get a USB hub if you want Apple CarPlay or a non-glitchy AA.

ioan

You're asking us if this upgrade is worth it???

Yes. Yes, it is.

I wouldn't worry about navigation if you have a decent cell plan and have Google Maps App already. That's a good price for the 3 pieces, you'll just have to get a USB hub if you want Apple CarPlay or a non-glitchy AA.
Thank you for your help. One more question:
For the navigation (Ford built in one that is) to work, do I need a new gps or the one from sync 2 it's going to work?

Btw did anyone experienced a “frozen” or “stuck” compass? And know how of a fix? I got a non nav unit, everything else works perfect.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #234
Btw did anyone experienced a “frozen” or “stuck” compass? And know how of a fix? I got a non nav unit, everything else works perfect.
Did you add the blue Fakra? I think it works as the GPS direction which in some way works without having the Navigation option.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
No I will have to try that, I was under the the impression it internal to the APIM.
The BF biznis is tricky - I had to go through 3 of them b4 it worked. Not sure why I bothered - the primary benefit of S3 is AA ( or CP), which is far superior to the clunky Ford nav, not to mention always up to date. And - the rear view camera capability.

ioan

Today I received the screen and module to replace my Sync 2 with Sync 3 in my 2014 Fiesta. After physically changing the APIM, do I have to do anything else? I see that others talk about programming the VIN, why is that step necessary?

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Today I received the screen and module to replace my Sync 2 with Sync 3 in my 2014 Fiesta. After physically changing the APIM, do I have to do anything else? I see that others talk about programming the VIN, why is that step necessary?
You have to have an As-built VIN from a car with Sync 3 from the factory to fake the APIM into working on your non-Sync3 car. I'm not sure how to change it though, other than you do it through ForScan. Maybe someone else can help with that part of the procedure. You also need a different GPS antenna because the Sync2 version is not compatible with Sync3.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It's necessary due to the vehicle settings that the APIM controls/has access to. If you bought a an APIM from a non-ST fiesta, you don't "technically" need to, but your Hill-Hold assist may not work properly and you will lose "Sport mode", but still be able to turn traction control on/off. Also, programming allows you to add enjoyable functionality like seeing the climate control on the screen as well as changing the APIM startup to a "ST Performance" boot screen instead of the normal Ford one. Plus many other things. Programming manually is not easy, it's best to pay someone for a custom built APIM file and then flash it using Forscan.

If you are happy with the functionality of the APIM as is, you may not need to. YMMV.
Also, as mentioned you will need a blue fakra GPS antenna or you will see errors and not have that functionality. You may also need to change the USB hub or you will see errors.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
It's necessary due to the vehicle settings that the APIM controls/has access to. If you bought a an APIM from a non-ST fiesta, you don't "technically" need to, but your Hill-Hold assist may not work properly and you will lose "Sport mode", but still be able to turn traction control on/off. Also, programming allows you to add enjoyable functionality like seeing the climate control on the screen as well as changing the APIM startup to a "ST Performance" boot screen instead of the normal Ford one. Plus many other things. Programming manually is not easy, it's best to pay someone for a custom built APIM file and then flash it using Forscan.

If you are happy with the functionality of the APIM as is, you may not need to. YMMV.
Also, as mentioned you will need a blue fakra GPS antenna or you will see errors and not have that functionality. You may also need to change the USB hub or you will see errors.
Who does this programming?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk