Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fortune Auto 500 Spring Rate / Upgrade

My bad, I should have been more clear. The default 500s are 7k front/3.5k rear, while the default 510s are 4k front /3.5k rear- I wonder if it is meant to dial in more oversteer in the racing application?
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Defaults are just that; defaults. The spring rate really comes down to your driving style and the track you plan on using them on. If you're rich then I'd highly suggest owning multiple sets of springs to rotate for specific locations. At $2700 your pricing out anyone that isn't looking for a true track coilover. And frankly if you're blowing $2700 on a set of coils for a daily then you either own a pricey car (where they mark up prices on all parts) or you're an idiot who has no concept of money.

I've installed at least 20 sets of Fortune 500's on Subarus and I can tell you that they're fantastic. Hands down the most comfortable daily coil I've driven on. 510's are also fantastic, but purpose built. They're also modular and can be re-valved/built into 2-way and 3-way systems.

TL;DR
90% of people should buy 500s. You'll never be happier with a coilover, I promise.
10% of people should buy 510s and only if they're serious about chasing down tenths. If you just "track" your car on occasion, I wouldn't blow the money. Take the money you save buying the 500s and put it toward an LSD.

Cheers!

OP
MagnetiseST

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #23
10% of people should buy 510s and only if they're serious about chasing down tenths. If you just "track" your car on occasion, I wouldn't blow the money. Take the money you save buying the 500s and put it toward an LSD.

Cheers!
I literally did this, except I bought the LSD for my other car instead haha

My bad, I should have been more clear. The default 500s are 7k front/3.5k rear, while the default 510s are 4k front /3.5k rear- I wonder if it is meant to dial in more oversteer in the racing application?
Ya that is a misprint on there page, majority of people who order them will contact FA directly and have the spring rates adjusted for there application. I would recommend 8k front 6k rear on the 510’s as well.

Ya that is a misprint on there page, majority of people who order them will contact FA directly and have the spring rates adjusted for there application. I would recommend 8k front 6k rear on the 510’s as well.
Yesterday I ended up putting in my order for some 500s with 7k front, 5k rear because we have really crap roads here and that's what they recommended. I asked in the other thread, but do you know if the adjustment extenders work on the rear shocks?

Yesterday I ended up putting in my order for some 500s with 7k front, 5k rear because we have really crap roads here and that's what they recommended. I asked in the other thread, but do you know if the adjustment extenders work on the rear shocks?
I’m honestly not sure, they are so easy to adjust I never have tried honestly.

OP
MagnetiseST

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #27
I was under the impression that the adjusters were inverted? (i might be thinking of the focus)

I was under the impression that the adjusters were inverted? (i might be thinking of the focus)
The rear damper adjustments are on the bottom of the mount, very easy to adjust, and the shock travel is easily adjusted as well with the tire still on when jacked up, the spring cup also is easy to adjust.

OP
MagnetiseST

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #29
The rear damper adjustments are on the bottom of the mount, very easy to adjust, and the shock travel is easily adjusted as well with the tire still on when jacked up, the spring cup also is easy to adjust.
Yup exactly what I thought.

OP
MagnetiseST

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #31
Subscribing. Starting to want something a little more performance oriented compared to my Bilstein setup. Looking forward to hearing reviews on the 500s and 510s as they come in! (y)(y)(y)
CFR can give you all the data you will ever need on the 510s, he helped Fortune develop them. I can review the 500s, but I already installed a set on a friends car and they were awesome.

CSM

1000 Post Club
CFR can give you all the data you will ever need on the 510s, he helped Fortune develop them. I can review the 500s, but I already installed a set on a friends car and they were awesome.
Looking forward to your review of the 500. I think 510 might be overkill for me.

As far as I know I can't find any solid in depth reviews on the 500 other than them clearly being pretty good.

OP
MagnetiseST

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #33
Looking forward to your review of the 500. I think 510 might be overkill for me.

As far as I know I can't find any solid in depth reviews on the 500 other than them clearly being pretty good.
I'll post something with initial impressions, then i'll add something a few thousand miles later, and throw in a track day experience if i get the chance.

They said lead time is about 4-5 weeks, so my 500s will be shipped by the 22nd. I should be able to get them on pretty quick, and I have an autocross on August 9th. I'm kinda kicking myself for not ordering them earlier in the season. I'll be sure to share my experiences, I'm really looking forward to it.

OP
MagnetiseST

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #35
They said lead time is about 4-5 weeks, so my 500s will be shipped by the 22nd. I should be able to get them on pretty quick, and I have an autocross on August 9th. I'm kinda kicking myself for not ordering them earlier in the season. I'll be sure to share my experiences, I'm really looking forward to it.
I'm hoping to have mine out by the 10th or so

Any questions I can answer for you just feel free to ask! The 500’s are a very good DD coilover that can do a little bit of track work as well!

CSM

1000 Post Club
Any questions I can answer for you just feel free to ask! The 500’s are a very good DD coilover that can do a little bit of track work as well!
I guess my perception is that they are a step above the Bilstein kit that I have now (B14) in terms of, more on the "racy" end. But I guess you cant answer that without having either 1) been in both setups or 2) have access to shock dyno graphs of each

I guess my perception is that they are a step above the Bilstein kit that I have now (B14) in terms of, more on the "racy" end. But I guess you cant answer that without having either 1) been in both setups or 2) have access to shock dyno graphs of each
Well the info I can give you (since I haven’t been in both setups) is FA valves the dampers for whatever spring Rates you choose! They are hand built, dyno tested, and fully serviceable at there VA facility. If you can get your hands on the dyno graph I have the graphs from my 510’s and can prob get graphs from previous 500’s as well ( all their coilovers come with the dyno graph since every unit is tested on their shock dyno before they leave). The 510’s are hands down not on the same level as the b14’s. The 500’s also have to great features that the b14’s don’t as well for the track, yet are still extremely Street capable.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the info. However, to be brutally blunt and honest, the warranty terms and conditions from Fortune Auto is a bit of a deal breaker for me, especially bullet point 3. That essentially makes the warranty useless for the majority of Fiesta ST owners IMO.

Fortune Auto North America warranties its products to the original retail purchaser against defects in workmanship and material.
The warranty does not apply to the following:

1. Any products not purchased through authorized Fortune Auto North American dealers.
  2. Any products that show abuse, improper installation or collision.
  3. Any products that are used on public roads, highways, government maintained roads or non motorsport conditions.
  4. Any products that have been altered in any way.
  5. Any products that are not professionally installed.
  6. Any products that show normal corrosion wear and tear.

Thanks for the info. However, to be brutally blunt and honest, the warranty terms and conditions from Fortune Auto is a bit of a deal breaker for me, especially bullet point 3. That essentially makes the warranty useless for the majority of Fiesta ST owners IMO.

Fortune Auto North America warranties its products to the original retail purchaser against defects in workmanship and material.
The warranty does not apply to the following:

1. Any products not purchased through authorized Fortune Auto North American dealers.
  2. Any products that show abuse, improper installation or collision.
  3. Any products that are used on public roads, highways, government maintained roads or non motorsport conditions.
  4. Any products that have been altered in any way.
  5. Any products that are not professionally installed.
  6. Any products that show normal corrosion wear and tear.
That is only something you can answer for your self, I don’t know how lenient they are in regards to that. But if I had a issue with mine on a street car, it would of happened on “track”. Take that as you will as I do NOT work for FA. Just giving my 2cents with other manufacturers products that said the same and I have had to have replaced.