Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Gap between roof and windshield after replacement.

Hi guys, its been a looong time since I've posted anything on here but I've still been lurking. Anyway, just got my windshield replaced by a local glass installer and after the thrill of looking through a crack free windshield wore off, later when I got home from work I noticed a sizeable gap between the roof and the windshield. I know the panel fitment on our cars is garbage and I'm fairly certain there was somewhat of a gap before, but it's more noticeable now and I can even see were the installer smeared black resign to glue the windshield in the gap which looks really unsightly against the Race Red. There is still 2 pieces of blue masking tape attached to the windshield and the roof which I was instructed to leave on for 24 hours but upon further inspection there is play on the passenger side where I can push down on the windshield and see it move slightly. This doesn't seem right to me, I'm guessing that the tape is meant to 'hang' the windshield slightly so that gravity doesn't pull it down? Hopefully somebody that knows glass can chime in. I will post pictures when its light outside first thing tomorrow.

I should mention that it is non-oem glass so I'm not sure if the glass itself fits poorly or it was improperly installed, I'm leaning towards improper installation. Has anybody else noticed this gap between the roof and the windshield? I was hoping to get some pics of other peoples windshield gap so that I could compare mine.

Thanks guys.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That is the price you pay with Non oem Glass * I go with OEM and then they always tell me .....If there it happens again they won't cover it. Ill take OEM glass every single time after a body shop owner did My Typhoon and showed me the difference between OEM glass and the cheap Safelite garbage.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Have you talked to the installer?

OP
Genghis_Bob
Thread Starter #4
That is the price you pay with Non oem Glass * I go with OEM and then they always tell me .....If there it happens again they won't cover it. Ill take OEM glass every single time after a body shop owner did My Typhoon and showed me the difference between OEM glass and the cheap Safelite garbage.

Very good point, the price they quoted me was right so I consciously took a gamble on after market glass, I've read the debates out there about OEM vs non OEM glass, I guess I figured that with how shitty panel fitment is on our cars brand new, aftermarket couldn't be worse.
Have you talked to the installer?
Not yet, just got it installed this morning before work and noticed the gap and the play when I got home. I'll be calling them in the morning.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Very good point, the price they quoted me was right so I consciously took a gamble on after market glass, I've read the debates out there about OEM vs non OEM glass, I guess I figured that with how shitty panel fitment is on our cars brand new, aftermarket couldn't be worse.
Maybe I'm just lucky, but my car looks and feels tight. My sister even mentioned how solid it felt last time she was here.

Not yet, just got it installed this morning before work and noticed the gap and the play when I got home. I'll be calling them in the morning.
I can't imagine that aftermarket is so different from OEM, that they can't make it fit. Show them the problem.

OP
Genghis_Bob
Thread Starter #6
I can't imagine that aftermarket is so different from OEM, that they can't make it fit. Show them the problem.
This is why I'd like to talk to someone with experience installing glass, wondering how much wiggle room they typically have with placement in terms of nudging it one way or the other. They seemed like nice folks and the customer service was good so I'd like to give them a chance to correct it before I trash their business. Honestly the gap is not as concerning as the play on the passenger side, looking at the few pictures I've managed to find on the internet, a bit of a crevasse seems normal.

OP
Genghis_Bob
Thread Starter #7
Just an update, went back and talked to the technician and he explained that the glue will stay flexible for about week so I'll be keeping an eye out on it. He also claimed that some of the glue that I pointed out in the gap between the roof and windshield is actually primer to which I replied "so you guys took some paint off while removing the windshield?" There is also old glue visible around the area. Here's some crappy pics I took this morning and a video of the windshield moving.

Attachments

OP
Genghis_Bob
Thread Starter #8
Looks like that video turned into a download link. I can upload it to YouTube I guess if anyone is curious.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
True, I often fall victim to my own ocd, I need to pick me up a touch up stick from ford anyway for all the rock chips.
Get some Dr. Color chip instead* its more but worth every penny if done right!