Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Getting ready for some fast and fun track time, more mods getting done:)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Mods yesterday, Driver side engine mount, relocate ECU, battery cable to the rear.....

Fun day today! These are not engine related but every once of weight we can delete or relocate to a better place for weight distribution effects many aspects of performance, power is just one part of the big equation.

Since I am relocating the battery to the rear it was obvious the bracket the battery mount was bolted to was a bit overkill but more importantly it was designed to let the engine move around a great deal. The rear engine mount has been addressed well by the aftermarket but this one moves far more than I would prefer. I made this mount today, it allows the engine to move just a little and not add any noise or vibration (I have not tested it yet but have built mounts for many cars)

It also saved another pound of weight and weight is always the enemy to all things performance.

Since removing all the parts around this area it exposed many wires that were not fully loomed so I redid them all to protect them and look a bit better and relocated the ECU as close to the firewall and as low as it can go. I have to make the mount for it and tie wrap the cables, it will be a bit cleaner looking than it is now.

Notice the red in the background? That is the positive battery cable with many wires, fuses, etc....it is tucked way back in out of the way and a 4 gauge power cable bolted to it going to the hatch area where the battery will be.

Mods today, Driver side engine mount, relocate ECU, battery cable to the rear.....

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #2
The battery passes through the firewall where there was a little plastic plug, pretty handy to have it, I put the grommet on the wire to protect it.

Power cable in the drivers kick panel, routed around so it will fit flush behind the trim panel easily.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Now have a huge open area on the drivers side of the engine and as can be seen replace the factory vacuum line for the brake booster as it was a hard line and all over the place....

I do not like how the red cover looks over the positive battery post connector so considering more options. It is secure and out of the way so no issues there, just not cosmetically clean.

I did not take a picture but the washer tanks is out as well, I am putting a smaller one in the rear spare tire well with the battery.

I took 125 lbs out of the back of an already front heavy car so moving all I can to the rear, making parts lighter, making new parts, etc....to help get the balance right.

BBK will help a huge amount, I will have to add some weight in a much bigger intercooler though.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Looking for a way to make some dimple die parts for the Fist, fun to make like for my last track car project:)

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
RAAMaudio, you could potentially market A battery re-locator kit. Great work so far.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I have a big list of parts I could make, have made, etc but just posting for others to see, vendors are welcome to use my ideas if they wish:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Let me make the mount first, it is just sitting there, flat instead of vertical, cables facing front of car, as close the firewall and away from the engine as possible.
Take a closer look at the third post on this thread, that picture shows where it will be once I build the mount for it.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Curious, is 4 gauge large enough for the amps drawn when cranking over a cold engine? Seems the run is about 9 feet or so? Did you use a ohms law calculation to determine wire size?

iso100

1000 Post Club
Also curious, have you cornerweighted the car yet? I'm wondering what your scales say for each wheel.