Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Getting my asbestos shorts ready--so flame away :)

I've had my 2017 Fist about a month and have been thinking of what mods to do. I have concluded that a lot of popular mods give real, but small, incremental gains. So I am likely going to buy a Cobb AP and a 3-way Stratifed tune: 91, 93 and e30. 93 and e85 are readily available here in Ohio. That, plus a panel filter and that's all to start. I have a 2017 so I don't think a RMM is required for the street driving I do--and it's easy to add later. It's cooler here now but if intake temps are high when weather warms up, then a FMIC (likely a cp-e) will go in, but not at first. I am also running a Damond OCC now, but that's not performance related, of course. I'm thinking I won't get everything out there I might get with a CAI and an exhaust, but most of it, mostly because of the e30 tune. Am I mistaken?

Last edited:

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
You def want the RMM. You can't launch or shift it hard without it. Also, I would keep your stock DP and just get an AP and a tune.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hi Guys
Not wanting to thread hijack but I'm in the same place as the OP, new Fist and considering mods but I've got a couple of questions-
Are most of you not worried about warranty?
RMM? Is that Rear Motor Mount? I'm assuming if it is, the original stock one is too 'loose/flexible'? Maybe I need to go look it up [:D]

Many thanks

Dazzle

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Hi Guys
Not wanting to thread hijack but I'm in the same place as the OP, new Fist and considering mods but I've got a couple of questions-
Are most of you not worried about warranty?
RMM? Is that Rear Motor Mount? I'm assuming if it is, the original stock one is too 'loose/flexible'? Maybe I need to go look it up [:D]

Many thanks

Dazzle
yes RMM = rear motor mount
it is very soft & spongy. replacing it is a great upgrade

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I've had my 2017 Fist about a month and have been thinking of what mods to do. I have concluded that a lot of popular mods give real, but small, incremental gains. So I am likely going to buy a Cobb AP and a 3-way Stratifed tune: 91, 93 and e30. 93 and e30 are readily available here in Ohio. That, plus a panel filter and that's all to start. I have a 2017 so I don't think a RMM is required for the street driving I do--and it's easy to add later. It's cooler here now but if intake temps are high when weather warms up, then a FMIC (likely a cp-e) will go in, but not at first. I am also running a Damond OCC now, but that's not performance related, of course. I'm thinking I won't get everything out there I might get with a CAI and an exhaust, but most of it, mostly because of the e30 tune. Am I mistaken?
I think you have a solid plan going
the intake and exhaust aren't huge power adders with the stock turbo but who likes stock exhaust?
And most guys build up for future upgrades like a hybrid turbo or larger.

Most OEM inter-cooler solutions are very inadequate, the FiST isn't an exception. With a "Stage 1" tune, you get a lot of torque, but no HP or top end. The off the shelf "Stage 2" tunes add power at the top end. Really need an intercooler for that.

I'd recommend on a budget: FMIC ($330, depo racing), Cobb Accessport ($500, from a protuner), Rear motor mount ($110, AWR 70 duro from Whoosh)...in that order. Total: $940, and you get 95% of the performance potential of the stock turbo without corn. Next logical step is to get a 93oct protune, and/or a E30 protune.

When I had the stock intercooler--on the stock tune--I would be heatsoaked at the end of 3rd gear on a 1/4 mile run. Equivalently, if you take an interstate ramp from a turning lane up to highway speeds, you would already be heat-soaked if you are flooring it the whole way by the time you hit 70-80. Granted it is really hot and humid in the south. While a tune nets the most gains, if the intercooler severly heatsoaks, you become slower than a stock car. I just did the motor mount when the stock one annoyed me enough. Whoosh has a nice RMM for not much money, durometer choices too. Get your Cobb accessport from a protuner, they give you a better off the shelf tune, along with all of the Cobb "stage" tunes. I would recommend someone like stratified with the fancy timing based traction control, very nice feature.