Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Good Tips on buying a new car

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
[video=youtube;pPor5b7JLLE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPor5b7JLLE[/video]

Recap:
  • Give yourself two full weekends to shop
  • Sell your used car separately, avoid trade-in.
  • Get dealers to bid for your business.
  • When in doubt, leave the dealer.
  • Never purchase anything extra such as maintenance.

Perry

Recap:
  • Give yourself two full weekends to shop
  • Sell your used car separately, avoid trade-in.
  • Get dealers to bid for your business.
  • When in doubt, leave the dealer.
  • Never purchase anything extra such as maintenance.

I didn't watch the video, but I largely agree with the list.

• Take your time. Don't rush. Investigate, research, ask questions, test drive.
  • DON'T TRADE IN YOUR OLD VEHICLE TO THE DEALER. If you do, you put yourself in a position to negotiate twice with a bunch of people who have a system, do it all the time, and are on their own turf. That should sound like a bad plan. It IS a bad plan. Sell your car through some other means; private sales are generally the most lucrative.
  • Play dealers against each other, if possible. Let Dealer A know that Dealer B is willing to beat A's price plus throw in free floor mats and oil changes for a year.
  • Acknowledge to yourself when you don't know the right answer. And since this isn't a timed test, if you don't know the right answer, go home and look it up, ask for help, phone a friend, etc.
  • Extras such as extended warranties, etc. are always profit centers for the dealer. If it were a financial advantage to the buyer--that is, if the buyer were likely to come out ahead on the matter--consider whether the dealer would be likely to offer it. Remember: the dealer is out to make money. You're out to buy a car. The more that gets added to the car, such as warranties, extended service plans, and yes, even floor mats, the more profit points there are for the dealer. Example: Locking lug nuts. The dealer offered 'em for a mere $90. Local auto parts stores carry multiple options for the vehicle at less than half the price.

AND:
  • Use the internet. One can usually determine fair market value/fair sales price for a given vehicle, with given options, through any of a number of different sites. Some insurance companies offer car buying services which will give you a predetermined price for the car you want, through an identified dealer. This may not be the best possible price, but it's almost always a good one, and often much better than an individual negotiating alone could do. In addition, the same sort of research can give you a very good idea of the value of your old vehicle, and what you can expect to sell it for versus what you can expect in trade. When I recently sold my 2010 Honda Fit, I did so privately and got $1800 more in a private sale than the dealer offered.
  • Listen to your gut. If you don't feel comfortable about a decision, don't do it. Buying a car is almost never something that has to be done right this very minute. When your spidey-sense tingles, take it as a warning that your nemesis is in a position of advantage, and move to alter the circumstances, change the terms of engagement, take more time.
  • Read Sun Tzu. He figured out most of this a long time ago.