Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Got her tinted!

Love the way this looks! 20% all the way around. Not technically legal but I didn't see much of a difference between 35 and 20. Technically legal here is 35 on front and 20 in back. Just a bit worried about driving at night as far as sight goes, but we'll see.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
It does look nice.
Unfortunately I need to remove mine on the two front windows.

I got a ticket [sad]

But I will just put it back on.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Dang that sucks man, what's the state minimums in Cali?
30% in front.
That is what I have.
However the cop sited me at night and he said it was too dark.
I have found no way to prove that it is legal.

Dave

OP
hot_hatch
Thread Starter #5
Someone told me cops have scanners that can detect how dark a persons tint is. Not sure if that's true.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
It was CHP that got me.
He used no tools, just said it was too dark and wrote.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
That looks good. D1JL, I would fight that shit until the end of time
Thanks, I thought of that.

But Judges tend to side with cops.
The whole car only cost $200.00 to get done.
It will cost about $200.00 to have the front removed and reinstalled.
It will cost over $300.00 in court cost alone.
Just not worth the fight.

I have got until late October to get it resolved.
Maybe I can find a sympathetic cop before then. (not likely)

Dave

dyn085

2000 Post Club
You wouldn't get anywhere fighting it anyways as you would have to prove that you were within the legal limit. If you tinted at the legal limit then you would definitely test out darker due to the solar-tinted glass that comes on all of the new Ford's. You would probably test somewhere between 23-26%.

It's definitely just easier to remove and re-tint later.

iso100

1000 Post Club
^this. They remove subjectivity by using a metering device.

After going through this same thing I just plan to keep it legal. Not worth the expense of having to have it removed and retinted.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Do you have a receipt that says it's only 30%, that might work?
Doubtful. The only true way to avoid further "work orders" is to have the state highway administration stickers on each window that indicate the tint is legal. The last time I had one of my cars get a work order I got the stickers after I let my wife take it in to get metered. Odd that when she went my car "passed" even though the rear window was tinted to 20% (the legal limit in MD is 35%). Must have something to do with boobs.

You wouldn't get anywhere fighting it anyways as you would have to prove that you were within the legal limit.

It's definitely just easier to remove and re-tint later.
That is not true. The burden of proof is on the citation issuing officer. When geting a speeding ticket, it is proven by the reading on the radar gun. In the instance of a tint citation, it is on the officer to use the appropriate equipment to demonstrate that you were in violation of the law. Innocent until proven guilty still applies.

iso100

1000 Post Club
That is not true. The burden of proof is on the citation issuing officer. When geting a speeding ticket, it is proven by the reading on the radar gun. In the instance of a tint citation, it is on the officer to use the appropriate equipment to demonstrate that you were in violation of the law. Innocent until proven guilty still applies.
I beg to differ, in MD at least.

My experience:

Driving down the highway with 3 friends on the way to DC. Got pulled over while going exactly the speed limit. The officer said that I was pulled over for having a license plate cover, which I did.

He then proceeded to state that window tint was illegal in MD (which is untrue). He issued a work order which means I must go to the MD State Barracks to get my tint metered with a calibrated device that shines light through and registers the % of light transmission.

If I hadn't gone to get this done within 2 weeks, my registration gets suspended.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
"Love the way this looks! 20% all the way around. Not technically legal but I didn't see much of a difference between 35 and 20. Technically legal here is 35 on front and 20 in back. Just a bit worried about driving at night as far as sight goes, but we'll see."

The difference is a cop coming up to your window needs to be able to see if you have a gun pressed up against it. i wonder how many times a cop walked up to a 20 or darker window, to have shots come at him/her. could have been prevented by being able to see the occupant in their mirror or through the window.

My .02c

Looks good though.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
^this. They remove subjectivity by using a metering device.

After going through this same thing I just plan to keep it legal. Not worth the expense of having to have it removed and retinted.
Yup THIS /\/\/\/\

I beg to differ, in MD at least.

My experience:

Driving down the highway with 3 friends on the way to DC. Got pulled over while going exactly the speed limit. The officer said that I was pulled over for having a license plate cover, which I did.

He then proceeded to state that window tint was illegal in MD (which is untrue). He issued a work order which means I must go to the MD State Barracks to get my tint metered with a calibrated device that shines light through and registers the % of light transmission.

If I hadn't gone to get this done within 2 weeks, my registration gets suspended.
That is not the same as getting a ticket and having the opportunity to go into a court and tell the judge that the officer did not use a metering device to check the level and it was an arbitrary judgement call

iso100

1000 Post Club
That is not the same as getting a ticket and having the opportunity to go into a court and tell the judge that the officer did not use a metering device to check the level and it was an arbitrary judgement call
He doesn't have to use a meter. He's issuing a work order to get it checked with a meter. I'm not agreeing with what he did, but by issuing the work order he removes subjectivity. It also is easier to just have the meter at the barracks and not in every single patrol car.

OP
hot_hatch
Thread Starter #19
Yeah the tint guy said the best thing he recommends if getting pulled over at night to roll the window down before the cop starts walking up. He said it was their most popular package and he hasn't heard of anybody having any problems here. I just figured if everyone else was okay with it that I'd try it. If I have to fix it, then I guess that's what I'll have to do.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Yeah the tint guy said the best thing he recommends if getting pulled over at night to roll the window down before the cop starts walking up. He said it was their most popular package and he hasn't heard of anybody having any problems here. I just figured if everyone else was okay with it that I'd try it. If I have to fix it, then I guess that's what I'll have to do.
On top of rolling your windows down, shut your car off and turn on your interior lights. You may need it on to grab your registration anyway, but it helps the officer to see in as he approaches and will relieve tension that he may have of you possibly being 'a bad guy'.