Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hijinx’ Build

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think you should "Race" MRX430 when everything is all buttoned up for him. It would be a great race. I think....

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #462
I think you should "Race" mrx430 when everything is all buttoned up for him. It would be a great race. I think....

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I’d race him and shake his hand (or fist bump) once it’s over, win or lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Pretty high smoothing... do you have a graph where it's lower? Closer to 2?

Not that I expect much change in number, I'm just curious on the predictability of the power.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #469
Pretty high smoothing... do you have a graph where it's lower? Closer to 2?

Not that I expect much change in number, I'm just curious on the predictability of the power.
I don’t, but I could ask. Lower smoothing would see an increase in the power number as peaks will be more exaggerated. I remember a time when people wanted to see high smoothing because it eliminated those peaks.

The curve will essentially be the same so what is your end game?

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I don’t, but I could ask. Lower smoothing would see an increase in the power number as peaks will be more exaggerated. I remember a time when people wanted to see high smoothing because it eliminated those peaks.

The curve will essentially be the same so what is your end game?

Well, seeing how smooth the power delivery is! If the data presented has been altered to minimize the peaks and valleys then it's hiding potential part throttle oddities.

If the graph at 2 smoothing looks similar to the smoothing at 5 then the tuner has done well at 'fine tuning' the performance of the car during those periods where it may spike or drop those small amounts.

If not, no worries! Hoping the car is performing smoothly and reliably for you!

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #471
Well, seeing how smooth the power delivery is! If the data presented has been altered to minimize the peaks and valleys then it's hiding potential part throttle oddities.

If the graph at 2 smoothing looks similar to the smoothing at 5 then the tuner has done well at 'fine tuning' the performance of the car during those periods where it may spike or drop those small amounts.

If not, no worries! Hoping the car is performing smoothly and reliably for you!
Where did you learn that?

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #473
Isn't it only logical? What do you believe 'smoothing' means?
I believe smoothing is a regression where all of the data is fitted to a line. If there were a major trend it would show up in any amount of smoothing. We’re talking about thousands of data points (or more) over a short amount of time here so tens here or there that are abnormal aren’t a) going to be felt and b) not accounted for. If the car were breaking up on the dyno I think it would show up since that would likely consist of hundreds of data points. If the car were surging, I think that too would show up in the data.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I believe smoothing is a regression where all of the data is fitted to a line. If there were a major trend it would show up in any amount of smoothing. We’re talking about thousands of data points (or more) over a short amount of time here so tens here or there that are abnormal aren’t a) going to be felt and b) not accounted for. If the car were breaking up on the dyno I think it would show up since that would likely consist of hundreds of data points. If the car were surging, I think that too would show up in the data.

Not always the case, it's been very apparent to me that even though the car I drive doesn't change (and nor the fuel I use) that the first WOT tunes weren't able to handle part throttle conditions and would surge while the car hunted for the correct AFR output (among others).

After picking out specific rev ranges that had issues I was able to get my tuner to adjust the tune in those slots and allow for smoother part throttle driving.

Yes, major trends would show up, but the point of smoothing is, as you stated, to average out the numbers and essentially create fewer sampling points to connect. If you have fewer sample points to join, the smoother the line becomes when comparing data in between the start and end of the dyno run.

I would imagine there aren't many oddities at part throttle, they would be harder to detect on a WOT pull anyways, I just always saw a lower smoothing to be a more accurate representation of the true performance.

Last edited:
OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #478
Thought it was already @ home. Hope it turned out awesome!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I bet. This has been a long, complicated journey. In summary, I brought the car home September 2019 for break-in and it went back to Panda January 2020 for a health check (which it passed) and more tuning; it is now making its way back home to (hopefully) stay.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #479

Finally back in my possession, again. I’m gonna let the UV rays and heat do their work on the interior in case the driver had any bugs before I get in a clean it down a little bit more. My GoPro is charged so I may have some clips today.