Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hijinx’ Build

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #501
So how does that work? All this time, money and effort, new technology and no offense but your now a human Dyno? It feels like 425? Why don’t you just go to a local dyno and spend 50.00. Not trying to be a troll but You were making under 400 when you left st Louis and Adam found you another 25? Unlikely.
Well, if you go back through my posts you’ll see that the car was never maxxed out from Panda. I have about 8° more timing with TunePlus than Panda had. The car also spools 500rpm faster. Furthermore, if you go even further back you will see that I’ve plenty of experience with this car being over 400 to be able to have an idea of it.

As far as a local dyno goes, the closest to me (15 min) is a guy in his garage with a Dynocom. The next closest (1.5 hours) literally would not schedule me for a dyno even though I asked where I could send a deposit. The next closest dyno is 3 hours away. I opted not to get on a dyno and finish for several reasons: a) I don’t trust a guy in his garage; b) I’m not risking anything breaking three hours away from home; c) I really don’t give a fuck anymore because my car feels great and I’m tired of chasing numbers, and; d) if/when I go back to the track the trap speed will tell everyone what they need to know.

I hope that I’ve addressed all of your concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #502
No news is good news.

Just keep driving it and spending money on tires!

I can assume 1st and 2nd part throttle only??
1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Tires will hold on until about 5krpm in 3rd in this cooler weather.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #504
Antartica24 expressed disbelief at my car making more power with TunePlus than it did with Panda. Here are some snips of my datalogs. I would share the whole datalog but I don't know either tuner's policy on that and I don't feel like asking. Both of these are final on E50. I realize that I said it was an 8* difference and it is a 6* difference. I made that statement without having recently looked at the Panda log. Yes, it is one psi less but it is 6* more timing. You can also see the difference in spool which translates to earlier TQ which translates to more time for TQ which means more HP since TQ is a function of HP. Although Panda does go out a few hundred more RPM, the spool comes in a lot faster and more than makes up for the difference. Panda's peak boost of 36psi is 5500rpm while TunePlus's peak of 35 psi is 4500rpm. I hope this helps answer the question for anyone else who may be wondering.

Here is Panda:
Panda Final.jpg

Here is TunePlus:
TunePlus Final.png

Last edited:

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Antartica24 expressed disbelief at my car making more power with TunePlus than it did with Panda. Here are some snips of my datalogs. I would share the whole datalog but I don't know either tuner's policy on that and I don't feel like asking. Both of these are final on E50. I realize that I said it was an 8* difference and it is a 6* difference. I made that statement without having recently looked at the Panda log. Yes, it is one psi less but it is 6* more timing. You can also see the difference in spool which translates to earlier TQ which translates to more time for TQ which means more HP since TQ is a function of HP. Although Panda does go out a few hundred more RPM, the spool comes in a lot faster and more than makes up for the difference. Panda's peak boost of 36psi is 5500rpm while TunePlus's peak of 35 psi is 4500rpm. I hope this helps answer the question for anyone else who may be wondering.

Here is Panda:
View attachment 37022

Here is TunePlus:
View attachment 37024
I'm also noticing a huge difference with adam. Switched from strat and upgraded to the 660. Yeah boost kicks in hella late but the transition is so fucking smooth man. Right now I'm 15 psi at about 5k and 25 by 5500. The boost kicks in a goes up really quick.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

Se7eN

So just to add to this, my pump gas tune is only about 4* less than my Ethanol Tune and there is about a 50whp difference at about 1.5PSi more boost. Running 6* more timing is a whole bunch

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Thanks for putting up those charts and the analysis of the difference of the tunes. Its nice to see more power at less boost . I am also really considering Adam now that I have had my initial dyno tune locally here on my S280.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #509
Hello all,

It’s time for my arbitrary check-in. The head on my Panda engine lifted back around March. The other day, we found the problem. The freeze plug actually popped out of the block from the positive pressure that entered the cooling passages when the head lifted.

With that said, I have decided not to push forward with that engine. I am having it torn down and inspected. I will keep the rotating assembly as a representative souvenir of the years and money spent trying to reach 500whp.

So, where does that leave me?

I purchased an OEM engine from a wrecked 2019 with 18k miles. The car is currently with TunePlus. All my “bolt-ons” have been swapped over, the engine has been installed, and the car is running fine. It will be tuned on 93 and to 360-380 on E50.

After some time, if I am happy and confident with the car, there are several parts which I need to refresh or update - wheels, hood, coilovers, exhaust, and chassis bracing. I may even spring for some upgrades like the CoolerWorx shifter.

Well, that’s that.

The next update I have may, or may not, be how the Panda engine looks after it is torn down.

Thanks for reading, y’all.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Though she be but little, she is fierce!

I'm well overdue for a build thread. I got my ST in May of 2014. I started modding at 500 miles. My intention with modding this car is to have what I like to think of as a brawler on the streets. Balancing agility, speed, drive ability, safety and fun have been kept in mind throughout the evolution; many parts have been swapped for others. Without much further ado:

Currently:

Panda Motorworks Built Engine tuned by Panda Motorworks
- DHM Wiseco Pistons
- DHM K1 H-beam Rods
- ARP Head Studs
DHM GTX450r Turbo Kit
- Tial Q Bov
- Tial MV-S 38mm External Wastegate
- Dead Hook Motorsports GTX Tubular Manifold
- Dead Hook Motorsports Downpipe
- Garrett Gen 2 GTX2867r .63 A/R
- Callie’s Billet Crank
- King Race Bearings
Mfactory LSD
Dead Hook Motorsports Race Intercooler and Crash Bar
3-port MAC Boost Control Solenoid
cp-e aIntake
TurboSmart Vacuum Block
MBRP CBE
NGK 1 Step Colder Plugs
Stratified Automotive Controls 4-port Aux Fuel Kit
Bravo Alpha Fuel Pump Assembly (DW300)
Stratified Automotive Controls Guardian Angel & 3.5 bar TMAP
Boomba Racing Transmission Bracket Bushings
Mountune Quick Shift Kit
Cobb RMM
Vibra-Tech Comp Engine Mounts
Spec Stage 3 Clutch and Lightweight Flywheel
Mishimoto OCC
Mishimoto 160* Thermostat

Suspension
Pierce 6-point
Pierce Mid-brace
TB Performance Torsion Beam Bar
Meister R Coilovers

Wheels/Tires
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 in gold - Federal Evoluzion ST-1 205/40-17

Interior
20% Tint
No-Pistons Dead Pedal

Exterior
Perrin 4" Shorty Antenna
Seibon CF Hood - Stock Style

My ST has seen a few other parts. For instance, I was the test mule for the Panda Motorworks Treadstone Intercooler. I once had a catted 2JR DP, Cobb CBE, Cobb intake, Mountune silicone hose, and drop in w/unlimited plenum box mod, the ATP hotside charge pipe, and the Cyborg turbo. I also had OZ Ultraleggeras and the Cobb shift knob which I still have, but I prefer my OEM. I think that's everything...

So, we all know this thread would be useless without pics. Unfortunately, I'm not big on catching moments, as I'm kind of selfish with them.

Right before the wheels were swapped.

So here's what she looks like right now.

I hope you enjoyed my brief journey. I absolutely love this little car.
Really like the Gold wheels.

antarctica24

Here is Panda:
View attachment 37022

Here is TunePlus:
View attachment 37024
I apologize for that comment. And what I'm getting ready to say is no reflection on you. It would be nice if there was a standard to tuning. You buy this part or that part, install it, and the result it is you get X horsepower, but that is not how it works. Even more so, anyone one person can tune a car, get X horsepower and take it to another shop, and then get X more horsepower. By doing so, it makes it appear that the first guy didnt know what he was doing, which is not the case. It all comes down to safety and knowledge, right? How far one tuner is willing to go. This can be proven with Ford Engineering. They sell the car with one tune and right off the showroom floor you can install a Cobb OTS tune and instantly have more power. Its almost like all of this is meaningless, because depending on the day, and temp, and the tuner, and the dyno for that matter its all a crap shoot. You've been doing this a long time with this car, so who am I to question what you feel and don't feel? Adam has also been doing tuning for a long time and I have known Adam since 2002 when he was doing Fbody's. I hope whatever he has done for you last a long time. Congrats on the new build.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
I've been modding cars since 1976, when I bought my first car a 1970 Nova 350 SS. No computers no tuners. Even back then you could take a car to one builder and end up with a 12 second car, take the same car to another builder and end up with a 11 second car. Each builder just like each tuner now a days has tricks or techniques that differ from one another. On top of that you have different dynos that very from one another. Nothing is concrete in the search for power. The end product is shown on the track(or street).

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I apologize for that comment. And what I'm getting ready to say is no reflection on you. It would be nice if there was a standard to tuning. You buy this part or that part, install it, and the result it is you get X horsepower, but that is not how it works. Even more so, anyone one person can tune a car, get X horsepower and take it to another shop, and then get X more horsepower. By doing so, it makes it appear that the first guy didnt know what he was doing, which is not the case. It all comes down to safety and knowledge, right? How far one tuner is willing to go. This can be proven with Ford Engineering. They sell the car with one tune and right off the showroom floor you can install a Cobb OTS tune and instantly have more power. Its almost like all of this is meaningless, because depending on the day, and temp, and the tuner, and the dyno for that matter its all a crap shoot. You've been doing this a long time with this car, so who am I to question what you feel and don't feel? Adam has also been doing tuning for a long time and I have known Adam since 2002 when he was doing Fbody's. I hope whatever he has done for you last a long time. Congrats on the new build.
He used to tune LSxes?!?
I NEVER knew that and I owned an '00 Z28 right up until I bought this car in May of '16!

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #516
The time has come to sell.

I’ve been poking around for stock parts to try and part out to get my Carvana offer of $18k, but it’s looking grim and annoying.

I’m not considering selling the car. I do want to sell it. If I can get $15k, I’ll be happy.

jeff

2000 Post Club
WTF. But, I get it.

Isaac you've been a pioneer and a trooper for this car for 7+ years. Thank you for that. I'm surprised you've held on to it this long after some of the stuff you've dealt with. Sometimes it's time to move on and change and leave things behind. Good luck with the sale!!!

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #518
WTF. But, I get it.

Isaac you've been a pioneer and a trooper for this car for 7+ years. Thank you for that. I'm surprised you've held on to it this long after some of the stuff you've dealt with. Sometimes it's time to move on and change and leave things behind. Good luck with the sale!!!
Yeah, man… It’s time to move on. I really have enjoyed the car for these last few months, and it really was the car I was wanting back - that’s the closure I needed to move on. I’m hoping $15k will move it quick, because I’m not interested in buying stock parts and putting in the labor to get another $3k.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Yeah, man… It’s time to move on. I really have enjoyed the car for these last few months, and it really was the car I was wanting back - that’s the closure I needed to move on. I’m hoping $15k will move it quick, because I’m not interested in buying stock parts and putting in the labor to get another $3k.

Been there and done that. There is a time to just put down the wrenches and start a new season. What's your DD now, still the mustang?

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #520
Been there and done that. There is a time to just put down the wrenches and start a new season. What's your DD now, still the mustang?
Moved well past that lol. I have a 22 AWD Stinger GT1 nowadays.