Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How good is the FiST???

This is a weird way to look...................
Not sure what is "weird" about my perspective. Low demand for the base/premium/performance model of a vehicle = discontinued. We can quibble about why there is low demand but...... well, yeah.

I only mentioned the Mustang as an example to refute your claim that Ford doesn't cater to enthusiast and I stand by it. If you kept up with Mustang news you would know that Ford is constantly interacting with the Mustang crowd in numerous ways. You would also know that the new Ecoboost Performance Mustang Engine is completely different than the base Ecoboost; the only thing they share is displacement.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a29145957/2020-ford-mustang-ecoboost-high-performance-drive/

I guess we could argue about Bullit vs GT but why bother..... you're just trying to "prove" me wrong by arguing a technicality rather than addressing my main point; Ford still cares about enthusiast.

EDIT: Just to get back on topic; the FiST is really good but..... I almost feel as if it's a niche within a niche (in the US anyway). This is an enthusiast forum and "we" tend to overlook a lot of the negative aspects of the FiST. And before you release your vitriol hear me out.

I suspect "most" people who would buy a hot hatch would pick a GTI (or even Veloster) over a FiST. Yes the FiST is more fun than both of these vehicles and, more mod friendly. But it isn't faster (straight line), it isn't as quiet, it's ride is harsh, and it has less creature comforts. Sure it handles better, is cheaper, and it, arguably, has more performance potential but, most hot hatch buyers are gonna prefer the attributes of the other cars in the segment over the FiST. This isn't a knock on the FiST; It's just a specialized vehicle within a specialized segment.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Not sure what is "weird" about my perspective. Low demand for the base/premium/performance model of a vehicle = discontinued. We can quibble about why there is low demand but...... well, yeah.

I only mentioned the Mustang as an example to refute your claim that Ford doesn't cater to enthusiast and I stand by it. If you kept up with Mustang news you would know that Ford is constantly interacting with the Mustang crowd in numerous ways. You would also know that the new Ecoboost Performance Mustang Engine is completely different than the base Ecoboost; the only thing they share is displacement.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a29145957/2020-ford-mustang-ecoboost-high-performance-drive/

I guess we could argue about Bullit vs GT but why bother..... you're just trying to "prove" me wrong by arguing a technicality rather than addressing my main point; Ford still cares about enthusiast.

EDIT: Just to get back on topic; the FiST is really good but..... I almost feel as if it's a niche within a niche (in the US anyway). This is an enthusiast forum and "we" tend to overlook a lot of the negative aspects of the FiST. And before you release your vitriol hear me out.

I suspect "most" people who would buy a hot hatch would pick a GTI (or even Veloster) over a FiST. Yes the FiST is more fun than both of these vehicles and, more mod friendly. But it isn't faster (straight line), it isn't as quiet, it's ride is harsh, and it has less creature comforts. Sure it handles better, is cheaper, and it, arguably, has more performance potential but, most hot hatch buyers are gonna prefer the attributes of the other cars in the segment over the FiST. This isn't a knock on the FiST; It's just a specialized vehicle within a specialized segment.
Speak for yourself lol. I would never have looked twice at a GTI granted they are faster, but two things, its a fricken VW which for the most part spells possible repair and costs that go along with it.
I have been down the road with German cars and as much as they are fun they are expensive. I would consider a M2 because its new or a Porsche Caymen. A GTI would not even enter into the picture with and I know quite a few that would agree with me. I know quite a few Porsche and BMW owners driving FiST’s not GTi’s.

So many people whine about the stiff suspension ( an easy fix) whine about the noise damn I guess you are too young to have driven or owned any vintage vehicles . Lol You want to talk about noise and lack of creature comforts lol the FiST is a dream,
Damn if you drove a Datsun 510 or 240Z or a 72 911 . edit..l:ROFLMAO:92 typo when I meant 72.
Lets not get to spoiled here. Pure simple is a good way to describe the FiST with a few modern conveniences thrown on top. It makes for a exhilarating little car that performs much bette than it ever should have given its origin.
Ford did get it right. So its got a little wind noise at 80 its a little stiff stock. It drives likes its on rails stock! Its got modern stuff in that still manages to retain that old back to basics feel. A GTI in my opinion just do not give that visceral feel unless you go back to the older ones. Modern GTI’s while being nice are steralized IMO.
I revel in the fact that FiST acts like it does.
It screams ya I am sports car and ya drive me like I need to be driven!

Last edited:

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Speak for yourself lol. I would never have looked twice at a GTI granted they are faster, but two things, its a fricken VW which for the most part spells possible repair and costs that go along with it.
I have been down the road with German cars and as much as they are fun they are expensive. I would consider a M2 because its new or a Porsche Caymen. A GTI would not even enter into the picture with and I know quite a few that would agree with me. I know quite a few Porsche and BMW owners driving FiST’s not GTi’s.

So many people whine about the stiff suspension ( an easy fix) whine about the noise damn I guess you are too young to have driven or owned any vintage vehicles . Lol You want to talk about noise and lack of creature comforts lol the FiST is a dream,
Damn if you drove a Datsun 510 or 240Z or a 92 911 .
Lets not get to spoiled here. Pure simple is a good way to describe the FiST with a few modern conveniences thrown on top. It makes for a exhilarating little car that performs much bette than it ever should have given its origin.
Ford did get it right. So its got a little wind noise at 80 its a little stiff stock. It drives likes its on rails stock! Its got modern stuff in that still manages to retain that old back to basics feel. A GTI in my opinion just do not give that visceral feel unless you go back to the older ones. Modern GTI’s while being nice are steralized IMO.
I revel in the fact that FiST acts like it does.
It screams ya I am sports car and ya drive me like I need to be driven!
Not a modern GTI fan, but I did buy a 2.5 liter 5 cylinder rabbit a few years ago on an impulse (the car I was driving developed a rod knock and I left it on the side of the freeway, walked up the shoulder to the vw dealer and drove away in a 2.5 5 cylinder rabbit). One of the most reliable, consistent cars I ever owned. 7.5 quarts of oil!!! Neat sound. Really boring, but it always worked.

What's weird about VW's, all of 'em, is how at home they feel at 80-85mph on the freeway.

Speak for yourself lol. I would never have looked twice at a GTI...............
OK I guess.....

IDK if you think I am boosting GTI's (I'm not) or what. I'm just saying that more people inclined to purchase a hot hatch "probably" favor it over a FiST for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Hell, the fact that you can get an auto GTI is probably a big factor to some buyers as well.

I am 41 and it's precisely for that reason that I value comfort/amenities in a vehicle. My FiST is our third vehicle; I drive it for fun/leisure on nice days. I can promise you if I was picking a hot hatch as a daily I WOULD NOT get a FiST for the same reasons I previously articulated. I would get a DCT GTI or auto Veloster turbo and that's OK. It doesn't take anything away from the FiST and it isn't an indictment against people who value performance over comfort (but still want some performance).

EDIT: Just to be clear, assuming I have the choice, a hot hatch would not be (is not) my daily driver. Again, not knocking anyone for their choice to daily drive one.

Last edited:
^FiSTs really do seem to make better weekend cars than daily drivers, IMO. I was fine with a stick and the firm ride in traffic, but now having an old commuter car and FiST on the weekends for the twisties is just so much nicer...

I don't begrudge people with 1 car auto/dct hot hatches. (2nd car weekend hot hatch, though? FiST = amazing option.)

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
^FiSTs really do seem to make better weekend cars than daily drivers, IMO. I was fine with a stick and the firm ride in traffic, but now having an old commuter car and FiST on the weekends for the twisties is just so much nicer...

I don't begrudge people with 1 car auto/dct hot hatches. (2nd car weekend hot hatch, though? FiST = amazing option.)
My plan is for my fist to be a daily and eventually buy something with more HP out of the box that doesn't need to be squeezed for every little bit of HP to be as fast as a mustang or camaro. Say, like, a mustang or camaro.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

My plan is for my fist to be a daily and eventually buy something with more HP out of the box that doesn't need to be squeezed for every little bit of HP to be as fast as a mustang or camaro. Say, like, a mustang or camaro.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The new 2020 Mustang Ecoboost HPP is getting rave reviews from virtually everyone. Ford is also saying 4.5s 0-60; that is only about a half second slower than the GT and, people are saying it actually handles better because of weight distribution.

I am seriously thinking about getting one in 2021 (always hesitant to get the first year of a "new" model).

I dunno, maybe I'm getting old - I like the process of building things up. You know, it's not the destination, it's the journey?
Sometimes the destination can be a journey.

I’m gonna make a comparison here, it’ll take a bit, but stick with me:

The fiesta ST is like a 24 hour McDonalds at 3am. Sure, it’s not the nicest place in the world. There are rough edges and on top of it the food and portion sizes aren’t great. You can go other places and get more for your money, you can go to other places and not have to seriously wonder if that homeless guy is gonna try to rob you, but there’s a certain itch that McDonalds scratches. A familiarity, reassuring you even as you wonder if this was a good idea because you just made eye contact with that aforementioned homeless man. Your pregnant wife may have left nothing up to interpretation when she told you she needed an Oreo McFlurry, but that doesn’t mean you can’t also come home with a few extras, right?

In the same vein, there’s an assuring familiarity about the way the fiesta st allows you navigate traffic. A familiarity in the way it delivers its 197hp, even if your enthusiast self left nothing up to interpretation when you put your foot to the floor. Sure, you may have bought “only” a Fiesta ST, but that doesn’t mean you can’t score a few aftermarket extras, right?

There are cars with nicer interiors, better ride quality, more horsepower.... more “more” can be had in almost any other car. If you were to look at a spec sheet for a Fiesta ST, without ever having even set foot in the car, you’d be within your rights to think “is that it?” Even sitting down in the car, it’s hard to see it for more than a small car with a few nice touches and a sea of hard plastic.

But the first time you start it, you get kind of a “hmmmm” moment. Then you put it in first and have an epiphany. The driving experience is what makes the car special. If you want a car to out “more” another car in any other way, the Fiesta ST is the wrong car. Sure, you can modify it and take the car in that direction, but that isn’t what makes the Fiesta ST great and that eventually opens up the “ship of Theseus debate” which I will not discuss here. The thing that makes it great is it’s inherent ability to be more than the sum of its parts, as owners we all drove a stock Fiesta ST and felt something unique. Something that was more than the sea of hard plastics, and poor suspension tuning over rough and broken surfaces.

It wasn’t a better car needing a few mods to be realized. It was the inherent balance of knowing the difference between being able to do something and knowing whether or not you should. In a world where 400 hp and 0-60 times below 5 seconds are becoming all too commonplace, it’s reassuring to know that you can can pull up to McDonalds at 3am in a sub 200 horsepower car and not feel the need to justify yourself to the world because it’s all a downshift away on a twisty road from being irrelevant anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I’ve owned some stupid fast cars but there’s nowhere to drive them down here, too many people :/ the fist can be wrung out and zip corner to corner in an entertaining way - that’s fun! Sure, even with bolt ons it’s not really much faster than a Honda Civic sport, I’m still having fun lol

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I had a EcoBoost Mustang with the premium package for a week definitely would not buy one. The performance version doesn't have that much more power. It had plenty of power anyway.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I had a EcoBoost Mustang with the premium package for a week definitely would not buy one. The performance version doesn't have that much more power. It had plenty of power anyway.

On top of that they keep using the Focus RS buzzword. Didn’t the RS have an open deck that limits the amount of power you could safely develop on that block? Had heard it was an issue and then stopped paying attention because I wasn’t about to drop 40k on a Focus, AWD or no.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
On top of that they keep using the Focus RS buzzword. Didn’t the RS have an open deck that limits the amount of power you could safely develop on that block? Had heard it was an issue and then stopped paying attention because I wasn’t about to drop 40k on a Focus, AWD or no.

Yeah I actually wonder if there's a difference between the 2.3 engines, because they use it in a lot of vehicles.

The last part of your statement is completely untrue. You can turn the FiST into an awesome track monster for 5-8K a lot of guys have done it. I
I calculated the cost of the upgrades closer to 11 grand. That's a 50 percent increase over a base new FiST. That had me begin to look at some very compelling component cars.