Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How good is the FiST???

Dpro

6000 Post Club
OK I guess.....

IDK if you think I am boosting GTI's (I'm not) or what. I'm just saying that more people inclined to purchase a hot hatch "probably" favor it over a FiST for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Hell, the fact that you can get an auto GTI is probably a big factor to some buyers as well.

I am 41 and it's precisely for that reason that I value comfort/amenities in a vehicle. My FiST is our third vehicle; I drive it for fun/leisure on nice days. I can promise you if I was picking a hot hatch as a daily I WOULD NOT get a FiST for the same reasons I previously articulated. I would get a DCT GTI or auto Veloster turbo and that's OK. It doesn't take anything away from the FiST and it isn't an indictment against people who value performance over comfort (but still want some performance).

EDIT: Just to be clear, assuming I have the choice, a hot hatch would not be (is not) my daily driver. Again, not knocking anyone for their choice to daily drive one.
I have some years on you and have driven the Autos . I had an Auto Infiniti G20 Which is a cheaper lux fun car. In the end I love gears and shifting. If the car is gonna be auto make a true F1 style DCT and I am down lol. Yes a GTR would be a fun daily.

I bought the FiST as a daily :ROFLMAO: I have no problem driving the car constantly in fact I rather enjoy it.
I do not feel its that uncomfortable or even lacking. Ya its got a bit of cheap hard plastic, but it has power windows. It has a backup camera. It has an auto climate control ( full blast:ROFLMAO:) Actually great air con. Oh and I bought the Recaros so the seats are damn nice.
I am also willing to put up with a manual in traffic ( thank god I do not commute:ROFLMAO:) .
It is a matter of different desires and perspectives. I am just don’t see it how you do.
I would gladly trade a little comfort for performance. Thing is my 18 did not feel that horrible ride wise, it did not lack in the amenities.
It is whats its meant to be and for that I love it.

I mean I have driven a lot a of lowered setup sports cars in my life so to me the FiST is fine and I own a BMW M3 as well and still prefer my FiST :ROFLMAO:.
I get it though different perspectives.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Sometimes the destination can be a journey.

I’m gonna make a comparison here, it’ll take a bit, but stick with me:

The fiesta ST is like a 24 hour McDonalds at 3am. Sure, it’s not the nicest place in the world. There are rough edges and on top of it the food and portion sizes aren’t great. You can go other places and get more for your money, you can go to other places and not have to seriously wonder if that homeless guy is gonna try to rob you, but there’s a certain itch that McDonalds scratches. A familiarity, reassuring you even as you wonder if this was a good idea because you just made eye contact with that aforementioned homeless man. Your pregnant wife may have left nothing up to interpretation when she told you she needed an Oreo McFlurry, but that doesn’t mean you can’t also come home with a few extras, right?

In the same vein, there’s an assuring familiarity about the way the fiesta st allows you navigate traffic. A familiarity in the way it delivers its 197hp, even if your enthusiast self left nothing up to interpretation when you put your foot to the floor. Sure, you may have bought “only” a Fiesta ST, but that doesn’t mean you can’t score a few aftermarket extras, right?

There are cars with nicer interiors, better ride quality, more horsepower.... more “more” can be had in almost any other car. If you were to look at a spec sheet for a Fiesta ST, without ever having even set foot in the car, you’d be within your rights to think “is that it?” Even sitting down in the car, it’s hard to see it for more than a small car with a few nice touches and a sea of hard plastic.

But the first time you start it, you get kind of a “hmmmm” moment. Then you put it in first and have an epiphany. The driving experience is what makes the car special. If you want a car to out “more” another car in any other way, the Fiesta ST is the wrong car. Sure, you can modify it and take the car in that direction, but that isn’t what makes the Fiesta ST great and that eventually opens up the “ship of Theseus debate” which I will not discuss here. The thing that makes it great is it’s inherent ability to be more than the sum of its parts, as owners we all drove a stock Fiesta ST and felt something unique. Something that was more than the sea of hard plastics, and poor suspension tuning over rough and broken surfaces.

It wasn’t a better car needing a few mods to be realized. It was the inherent balance of knowing the difference between being able to do something and knowing whether or not you should. In a world where 400 hp and 0-60 times below 5 seconds are becoming all too commonplace, it’s reassuring to know that you can can pull up to McDonalds at 3am in a sub 200 horsepower car and not feel the need to justify yourself to the world because it’s all a downshift away on a twisty road from being irrelevant anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your McDonalds analogy while making the point I felt could have been better. I personally would have picked someplace different than McDonalds because they are the bland cookie cutter. IN and Out might have been the better comparison:ROFLMAO: Not perfect but damn good.

Your second half of your post though was spot on. Its definitely the driving experience that drove me to purchas a FiST. Its definitely is not the fastest. It definitely should not be the handler it is but it is.
Oh and the Ship of Theseus debate could be had as well lol.
One does not buy the car to go out and drag race though some are indeed doing it. Lol
I think we are in agreement as to why we bought the cars as well.
I do think it can be made faster and even more potent. I also feel it can be built to challenge cars two times its price with ease.

I calculated the cost of the upgrades closer to 11 grand. That's a 50 percent increase over a base new FiST. That had me begin to look at some very compelling component cars.
I will be done with my car with coil-overs, big radiator, big intercooler, LSD,BT, brakes for roughly 8lK over my cost of $19678 with Recaro's, yes I have run the numbers.
That puts me at 27K for that amount of money I will have a car that run down sports cars in the 35-45k range with ease. Hell it will compete with some that are more expensive. I could easily strip it and cage it at that point and turn it into a very competive track machine. Actually know guys that have done just that already. I know guys who track RS”s and switched to FiSTS and go on for days about how cheap it is to outfit our cars.

Of course upgrades can cost some some less depending on who you know and how to get the deals. Work to get the deals though and it can be done. IMO

Last edited:
I had a EcoBoost Mustang with the premium package for a week definitely would not buy one. The performance version doesn't have that much more power. It had plenty of power anyway.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
I really don't want to come off as rude but this comment is just bad. It seems as if you truly don't know anything about the new Ecoboost HPP. It's not the same engine with a slight "tune," it's got a bigger turbo and different internals. It was designed to maintain near max torque through almost all the power band. Max torque even hits earlier than the RS. Seriously, did your rental even have the performance pack (not premium)? You know, the one which includes performance suspension and better gearing; standard on the HPP btw. The cars are so different its almost like saying "hey I drove an ST Line so I'd never get an ST" (hyperbole I know).

Seriously, take a look at this video from Stangmode (his channel is great BTW). He is a guy who had a modded ecoboost, sold it for a 2018 GT which runs 11's but he is still highly impressed with the HPP.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFU86ckCj2A

I will be done with my car with coil-overs, big radiator, big intercooler, LSD,BT, brakes for roughly 8lK over my cost of $19678 with Recaro's, yes I have run the numbers.
That puts me at 27K for that amount of money I will have a car that run down sports cars in the 35-45k range with ease. Hell it will compete with some that are more expensive. I could easily strip it and cage it at that point and turn it into a very competive track machine. Actually know guys that have done just that already. I know guys who track RS”s and switched to FiSTS and go on for days about how cheap it is to outfit our cars.

Of course upgrades can cost some some less depending on who you know and how to get the deals. Work to get the deals though and it can be done. IMO
How does a track built FiST compare to a track built Miata? I'd never buy one but I had always heard they were the ultimate track car for amateurs.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I really don't want to come off as rude but this comment is just bad. It seems as if you truly don't know anything about the new Ecoboost HPP. It's not the same engine with a slight "tune," it's got a bigger turbo and different internals. It was designed to maintain near max torque through almost all the power band. Max torque even hits earlier than the RS. Seriously, did your rental even have the performance pack (not premium)? You know, the one which includes performance suspension and better gearing; standard on the HPP btw. The cars are so different its almost like saying "hey I drove an ST Line so I'd never get an ST" (hyperbole I know).

Seriously, take a look at this video from Stangmode (his channel is great BTW). He is a guy who had a modded ecoboost, sold it for a 2018 GT which runs 11's but he is still highly impressed with the HPP.

if
Not impressed with that guys driving. Crossing the lines on a public road in vid like this is bad PR in my opinion. Car sounds nice though and I would have been more impressed if he made the corners in his lane.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
How does a track built FiST compare to a track built Miata? I'd never buy one but I had always heard they were the ultimate track car for amateurs.
The FiST has been called a four door Miata by some if that could be a signal. They are different aka FWD vs RWD but the FiST tends to be unique FWD in the way it drives . There are some Miata owners here that could answer that question better than I though but the foor door Miata is a comment I have seen on this forum by Miata owners who have FiSTS.

Not impressed with that guys driving. Crossing the lines on a public road in vid like this is bad PR in my opinion. Car sounds nice though and I would have been more impressed if he made the corners in his lane.
The first driver works for Ford too; I was kinda confused by his driving as well. I was more interested in the second drivers opinion since he is an Ecoboost guy who switched to a GT. Still, just google the new HPP Mustang; Ford had reviewers from all the big names out to the Bay Area just last week and none of them had a bad thing to say about it.

Hate that it kinda went off topic but I think it's good that Ford is making this type of vehicle as it can "potentially" fill a void when our FiSTs get "long in the tooth."

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
So it makes a little bit more power with different power curve. Brakes are a little bigger more aggressive, a different suspension, and a better tire setup. You're making it sound like it's a gt350r. Besides the different engine mechanicals you could easily do all that yourself. I have read a couple of articles about this car it's not mind-blowing to me at all.

Also it will not fill a void for me because a mustang, and a hot hatch are completely different.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The first driver works for Ford too; I was kinda confused by his driving as well. I was more interested in the second drivers opinion since he is an Ecoboost guy who switched to a GT. Still, just google the new HPP Mustang; Ford had reviewers from all the big names out to the Bay Area just last week and none of them had a bad thing to say about it.

Hate that it kinda went off topic but I think it's good that Ford is making this type of vehicle as it can "potentially" fill a void when our FiSTs get "long in the tooth."
I won’t deny it made me want to wander over to the dealer and test drive one. This is definitely a go over to Galpin situation as they will definitely have the car.
Plus with my FiST paid for and probably selling my M3 soon who knows. Lol

Though most likely it will fee heavy to me and also feel like I am driving a big car. My M3 does not feel big but does feel heavy. It is lol its a full 400 pounds heavier.
I can also see how they basically did a we did the bolt ons for you type deal.
Now if they do not jack the price too much? :ROFLMAO:

So it makes a little bit more power with different power curve. Brakes are a little bigger more aggressive, a different suspension, and a better tire setup. You're making it sound like it's a gt350r. Besides the different engine mechanicals you could easily do all that yourself. I have read a couple of articles about this car it's not mind-blowing to me at all.

Also it will not fill a void for me because a mustang, and a hot hatch are completely different.

I never said it was "mind blowing." The only reason I brought it up was because it was implied that it wasn't that different than a regular Ecoboost which is just wrong in so many ways.

And TBH I am pretty impressed with it. It's a 4cyl Mustang that does 0-60 in under 5 seconds and probably does the 1/4 in 13 flat (maybe even high 12s) while also getting 25 mpg. That is crazy.

Seriously, my second car was a 1990 Fox Body and after dumping loads of $$ into it I could barely hit 13s and I was getting under 15 mpg with my 3.73s.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Hopefully it gets better than 25. I got 32 averaging 80 miles an hour.

Mikey456

I rented a fiat 500 before. I never felt comfortable in it. Felt a little bit too small for me and the car seemed nervous at highway speed. Although, I’m sure it handles well on twisty roads. On the hand, I could tell the fiesta was a fun car even in the base car. It was also more comfortable at highway speeds and had alot more space inside.

I rented a fiat 500 before. I never felt comfortable in it. Felt a little bit too small for me and the car seemed nervous at highway speed. Although, I’m sure it handles well on twisty roads. On the hand, I could tell the fiesta was a fun car even in the base car. It was also more comfortable at highway speeds and had alot more space inside.

Agree. I'm 6'4". I test drove it twice when shopping, as well as the ST. It just felt small and...cheap-ish. The clutch felt like I would wear it out inside of three aggressive standing starts. Same with the Civic SI. The vehicle we test drove had about 18 miles on it. From a standing start, the car only started to move in the last inch and a half from my foot being completely off of it. Don't get me started on the FRS, 86 or the BRZ.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Agree. I'm 6'4". I test drove it twice when shopping, as well as the ST. It just felt small and...cheap-ish. The clutch felt like I would wear it out inside of three aggressive standing starts. Same with the Civic SI. The vehicle we test drove had about 18 miles on it. From a standing start, the car only started to move in the last inch and a half from my foot being completely off of it. Don't get me started on the FRS, 86 or the BRZ.
I test drove a 2014, and bought a 2016 (new interior) the interior refresh helped a lot.

My wife and I are both well over 6 feet and both preferred the interior room of the Fiat. I think the fist has a much better manual trans (though the auto in the Abarth is pretty nice, backfires on each shift lol) but the Fiat brakes felt a lot better. The fist handled better, while the abarth was a little more "playful". We still don't "get" how the Fiat felt so much more roomy than the fist does, but having driven a 2014 and a 2016, the simple interior redesign made it feel very different.

I've seen you in multiple threads. Every single time you've been confrontational and just plain rude. If I were a mod I'd give you a big ol' ban.