Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

HPDE/Time Attack build

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Some of you might be familiar with my other build, the link is here - https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/blue-track-street-build-salvage-restoration.25868/

That car has been stripped of usable parts and the shell scrapped. Below is my current car when I picked it up:

953B629D-1591-4797-A63A-6CC229E22C56.jpeg

Current mods are as follows:
Garrett 2560r turbo with WOR manifold
3" downpipe and exhaust
Cobb intercooler and assorted hardpipes
XDI hpfp and Bosch injectors
ISC coilovers, assorted chassis braces
16" RPF1s with re71r tires that are old
Whoosh BBK with ebc blue pads
Trans with Quaife LSD and 4.3:1 final drive
RTS twin friction clutch

Plans for the off season (track season begins end of March)
Replace tires with either R888R or a 200tw tire, depends on local time attack series
Install Sparco seats
Replace driver's blend door actuator
Try to source rear SVT caliper brackets
Finish 93 and e40 tune
Decide to either sell or reinstall CF hood
Mount a giant wing on the back
Maybe custom under tray build if I have time

Getting a 2 post lift installed in my workshop in April so some of the more annoying tasks like the under tray might wait. I also have an S280 and airtec manifold and may end up switching over to that depending on how the 2560 performs. Also on my shelf are a spare stock trans (will probably sell) and a 50k mile engine so I'm good with aiming for 350+ whp on this build knowing that I have a backup.

Updated pictures to follow.

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Check out some of the Nankang 200 tread wear gummies from Phil's Tire as they are a bit less coin than any of the 'major brand' stickies, especially the RE71Rs and A052s.
Thanks for the advice! Found the NS-2R in 215/45-16 and that might be a good tire to try out.

the duke

SVT rear brakes won't do much if anything more, all the force is pitched forward while braking.
Add a Radiator.
Add an oil cooler.
Look into camber bolts (If the ISCs don't permit camber adjustment).
Might want to fine tune with a new front/rear sway bar.
Straight track tires might be a bit much, I've been a fan of 200tw, though I don't have 350hp at the front wheel. Extremely sticky tires also mask bad driving habits. And the cost. (I'd rather than slightly less "grippy" tires that last 2X times as long as I can get more laps out of them).

I'd suggest aero be last. Use that as tuning of the car when finished., between suspension adjustments and tires, you can finally tweak the car after a few sessions to suit your style.

Biggest thing is seat time. Too many people change too much and can't tell the different between familiarity with the car/skill or the car actually being faster.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thanks for the advice! Found the NS-2R in 215/45-16 and that might be a good tire to try out.
I am even considering those for my summer STREET setup on my unused set of black Dekagrams!
(They are the very WIDEST tread width 200 tread wear tires in that size, and have enough tread void to at least handle some wet weather. [wink])

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Already have a Mountune radiator. I don't think oil cooler is necessary but I'll add that to the list. Camber plates in the rear and adjustable camber in the front as well, car gets a track alignment before every season

the duke

Already have a Mountune radiator. I don't think oil cooler is necessary but I'll add that to the list. Camber plates in the rear and adjustable camber in the front as well, car gets a track alignment before every season
The mountune radiator is good. I think it's a Griffon? Or is it CSF.

An oil cooler won't hurt things, and having some extra volume will help for heat, as well as high g-loads if you're running full slicks. A Mountune Baffle might be something to look into as well.

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9

An oil cooler won't hurt things, and having some extra volume will help for heat, as well as high g-loads if you're running full slicks. A Mountune Baffle might be something to look into as well.
The Mountune is CSF, no complaints from me so far. You make a good point about the extra volume, that's probably the best benefit. I'll look into that.

the duke

I am even considering those for my summer STREET setup on my unused set of black Dekagrams!
(They are the very WIDEST tread width 200 tread wear tires in that size, and have enough tread void to at least handle some wet weather. [wink])
I'm assuming they don't last for shit though? My ZIIIs will be dead after like 1 more track day next year and I'm scouting options now. I'm thinking of going back to my trusty 615K+s.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

A dry sump would be the ultimate, but yes it IS extreme overkill, and stratospheric $$$$$ for something which is not really necessary.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm assuming they don't last for shit though? My ZIIIs will be dead after like 1 more track day next year and I'm scouting options now. I'm thinking of going back to my trusty 615K+s.
They probably do not last/wear as well as the 615K pluses, or the Federal RS-RRs/RS Pros, but they would only be on my car for about 4-5 months of the year, with low weekly mileage, and NO track days/autocrosses at all.

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Weather was warm so did some data logging on my base tune. Boost creeped up to 25psi. Felt really strong but obviously something was wrong. Found a torn line going to the iwg, repaired it and now pulling a nice (but slow) 13ish psi. I think it's a 16psi spring so not looking forward to trying to reach the wga arm to adjust it.

Have Whoosh coil packs and NGK plugs waiting to go in. Rear SVT caliper brackets in the mail as well.

81 days until my first track day of 2023.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Weather was warm so did some data logging on my base tune. Boost creeped up to 25psi. Felt really strong but obviously something was wrong. Found a torn line going to the iwg, repaired it and now pulling a nice (but slow) 13ish psi. I think it's a 16psi spring so not looking forward to trying to reach the wga arm to adjust it.

Have Whoosh coil packs and NGK plugs waiting to go in. Rear SVT caliper brackets in the mail as well.

81 days until my first track day of 2023.
Easiest way I’ve found to reach the IWG is to loosen exhaust manifold nuts and oil return and tilt the turbo out.

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
Easiest way I’ve found to reach the IWG is to loosen exhaust manifold nuts and oil return and tilt the turbo out.
I did some digging into adjusting this wastegate. If it needs adjustment, it's just going to come out. At that point I'll put in my S280, airtec manifold, and TS iwg.

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
Been a while since my last update. First track day this Friday 3/24 at Thompson CT.

Car is running strong, on about 23psi on 93. Tuning is slow with the weather around here but the car should be good to go.

No major changes since my last post. Added Whoosh coils and fresh plugs. Picked up a Garmin Catalyst to try to improve my driving. A huge stack of parts waiting to go on as time permits. Tires still have tread but I think might be heat cycled out, will find out in a couple days. Interested to see what my lap times are since the LSD and gear change.

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
Two sessions down today. Already beat last year's PB (and only session) by nearly 3 seconds. Mods from previous session are Whoosh bbk with EBC blue (vs Powerstop and yellows), 4.3 gears, LSD, and different tuner. Still on 93. Should be on e30 by next month. What a fun car. Not the fastest by far but oh so fun and easy to drive.

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
It looks like I'm blowing oil out of the bottom of the factory air/oil separator. 97k miles, catch can is installed but on the other line. See picture attached. Would love opinions here hopefully that's all it is. Tagging @Woods247

Attachments

Woods247

2000 Post Club
That’s the first time I’ve seen this. Can you see exactly where it’s coming from?