Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hub Centric Ring Fail

I was driving to work this morning when I hit a very small bump and the right front tire started to thump a bit on rotation almost as if it were flat. I pulled over to inspect, no flat could not find anything loose. I suspected that perhaps a camber bolt had loosened and limped in the mile or so to work. After work I noticed a broken stud and missing lug nut. Upon trying to loosen another stud broke. This was nearly a very bad day for me.... I got the tire off to find that the hub centric ring was slightly cocked in the bore. I've been running these Dekagrams since May and have put nearly 1000 miles on them including an autocross. The studs were properly torqued and the two remaining were still very tight. Has anyone had this happen? Anything I could do to prevent a recurrence?
Circuit Performance 73.1mm OD to 63.4mm ID Silver Aluminum Hub Centric Rings
Sold by: Next Level Motoring
Above is the link to the rings. Thanks all!

20200811_163909.jpg 20200811_163853.jpg 20200811_163844.jpg 20200811_163909.jpg 20200811_163853.jpg 20200811_163844.jpg

Business6

Oh boy, those are the same ones I have on right now. I actually fully intended to replace the rings as a precaution with this being their second summer in use.

I've had mine on for probably around 7000-9000 miles. Sucks man, I hope you get back up and running fast

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I'm a fan of plastic rings: You can always get them out no matter what happens due to corrosion/dirt & they are cheap. The only time they would not work is if the temperature gets high enough that they deform/melt.

I would verify that you are running the proper lug nuts.

Se7eN

I have a slight vibration on my passenger side after a shop took the wheel off. Now you have me wanting to take the wheel out to verify it make sure the hub centric ring is there at all.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I think you have the cause and effect backwards. Most likely the studs failed and as a result the imbalance in pressure caused the hub centric ring to shift. The hub centric ring has no role once the wheel is bolted on. It's only there to position the wheel completely centered until the nuts are tightened.

OP
LuvPug
Thread Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback, I've been thinking about it and the lug nuts I'm using (Gorilla Automotive 21133ETBC Black 12mm x 1.50 Thread Size Chrome Finish Small Diameter 5-Lug Kit, (Pack of 20) ) have an insert below the taper to fill the hole in the rim. I thought that would be a plus but now realize when the ring got cocked tremendous pressure was transferred to the studs breaking two of them. I might try plastic spacers and regular tapered lug nuts.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've always thought that those type of lug nuts were what you used either in lieu of, or if you could not find the proper hub centric ring for an application, but NOT for use with a hub centric ring. [dunno]

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the feedback, I've been thinking about it and the lug nuts I'm using (Gorilla Automotive 21133ETBC Black 12mm x 1.50 Thread Size Chrome Finish Small Diameter 5-Lug Kit, (Pack of 20) ) have an insert below the taper to fill the hole in the rim. I thought that would be a plus but now realize when the ring got cocked tremendous pressure was transferred to the studs breaking two of them. I might try plastic spacers and regular tapered lug nuts.
I'm using these tapered, standard acorn Gorilla nuts 21133BC

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O0AMZS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_MJ0mFbMASBBSP

Last edited:
OP
LuvPug
Thread Starter #10
When was the last time your tires were touched/Rotated? and by whom?
I put them on, new, in May. Torqued to 100 ft/lbs then re-torqued about a week later. No issues until yesterday. Just odd that it would randomly happen especially since I wasn't even driving it hard. As pointed out here, I think the lug nuts I'm using aren't appropriate for the application. Thankfully it's a cheap mistake and one hopefully others reading this won't make.

Last edited: