Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I have a challenge for my oil change

Which option for the engine break in oil changes

• Conventional only replace 3000km

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Use full synthetic

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Make your own 50-50 synthetic/conventional blend

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
For some reason in Ontario Canada(maybe all of Canada) you can no longer buy semi synthetic. I checked everywhere. Even the dealership only has blends in drums. Now I want to change the oil myself. I also want to run a blend for the first 10k km to get a nice engine that is well seated.

The question is. What would you do.
As I see it here are my options
1- Run 5W20 conventional and replace the oil every 3k km
2- Run full synthetic
3- Make my one semi synthetic (2L of conventional 2L of Synthetic) replace 3k to 5k

This is not a cost thing but a wear /breaking of the engine thing, but I am thinking of just using store brand until I permanently switch to synthetic before the winter.

In my opinion modern engine oils that meet API standards have similar lubricity. The reason for going to a synthetic other then extended maintenance intervals is that synthetic motor oil has a higher flash point then conventional oil. This is important in turbocharged engines because the turbo is lubricated and partially cooled by engine oil. The exposure of the oil to higher temperatures by running it through the turbo can lead to sludge buildup. Because of this I would go with full synthetic.

I experienced the same thing last year. Here is what I found:
http://fiestast.net/index.php?threads/Canadian-Oil-Change.1685/
I wouldn't get hung up on synth vs semi vs dino. Technically, there are no conventional 5w20s. Use the past number recommended in the manual and change at an appropriate interval (I've been changing at 7km with good results from Blackstone).

Perhaps you could bring your own container to the dealer and they would sell you the 5w-20 Semi Synth.

I just buy the conventinal 5w20 at ford dealer wich is aniway what ford recomnended.. and 5w20 by default is semi synth.

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
I did find 5W20 conventional motomaster and Quaker State. Ended up using full synthetic and will review later.

me32

1000 Post Club
Run full syn. No reason not too on these new engines. Plus you factory oil should be run 5k before changing.