Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I have no idea what I'm doing

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
So as the title says, I know nothing of suspension, rolling fenders, camber any of it. I want to fit 225/45zr17 r888rs on my car due to my struggle for traction right now. I need to know what I need to do to run these. Currently I'm lowered about .5 inches, I'm on Megan racings ezII coilovers. I'm looking around for the team Dynamics rims but will probably have to wait until this virus is controlled to order any. So with all this being said, how much camber positive or negative do I need? Will I need to roll the fenders? Also we are talking 225s front and back so this will also create complications I assume. I learn from doing most of the time and that's why I'm struggling with this concept. Also, I'm not completely dead set on a particular size of tire/rim. If you have recommendations tell me and I'll check it out. My build will (hopefully) be pushing 380-420 wheel so keep this is mind.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
You're going to lose your inner fender liners - make peace with that.

You'll have to roll and pull rear fenders - the rear is easy as the whole arch is well secured, the front was a pain to actually pull over just rolling the inner fender.

I've gone with 225/45R17's on all 4, same tire too, R888R's in the front but high performance summers in the rear so that it would still rotate under throttle lift off.

Shit, if you can, try to fit 245's... You'll need flares for that adventure though.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Okay seems fairly easy so far. Does the camber need to change? I think since I'm lowered it's already changed from stock but I'm not sure how much.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I've tried to keep my ride height as high as my MeisterR coilovers will allow - I think that's still a drop of 0.5" or so front and rear.

I'll check my alignment chart and report back

Negi

This- no problem with 225/45R15 Rivals, and I'm on Swift springs and Bilsteins.
Bonus: cheaper, lighter. Lighter is faster, cheaper is smarter*

*sometimes
Hey brother can you post some pics,i have Koni's with swift springs sitting in the garage.And was debating what size to go with the TD Pro's 15x8.Thx

Hey brother can you post some pics,i have Koni's with swift springs sitting in the garage.And was debating what size to go with the TD Pro's 15x8.Thx
Sure thing!
I think this is about as much tire as you can squeeze under there without rubbing- I took off the rear brace because it didn't play nice with stiffer rear springs, so the body roll is a little reduced from what you see here.
Damn, now I want to go autocross.
IMG_3109.JPG IMG_3113.JPG
IMG_3112.JPG

wetwea33

Going with a wider tire will not give you more straight line traction. More sidewall with a stickier compound will. There is better tire options then the R888rs for both straight line and for track/auto x.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Negi

yeah, sorry I should have qualified that.
I just saw how little room was between my wheel and fender with Swifts and didn't think there was anymore room, but you may be able to get away with more on stock suspension, especially if you aren't going to autocross or track it.

TemecFist

Going with a wider tire will not give you more straight line traction. More sidewall with a stickier compound will. There is better tire options then the R888rs for both straight line and for track/auto x.

Which tires are you referring to?

wetwea33

Which tires are you referring to?
Again it depends on your uses. I'm running R888rs right now. For straight line I'd rather just run the rs-rr for the $, the R888r has only slightly more straight line grip. For lateral grip there are lots of better options. You could also use a drag radial if your not dailying it. The R888r is a circuit radial but it's outdated tech honestly.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Again it depends on your uses. I'm running R888rs right now. For straight line I'd rather just run the rs-rr for the $, the R888r has only slightly more straight line grip. For lateral grip there are lots of better options. You could also use a drag radial if your not dailying it. The R888r is a circuit radial but it's outdated tech honestly.

So with that being said I like an Autox feel for my daily driving. Honestly I like feeling every bump, the gs in the turns and feeling my motor and what its doing. This is why I have an 88a rear motor mount, stiffer control arm bushings and dna control arms, the powerflex race inserts on both other engine mounts and I've got torque solution exhaust hangers. The coil overs I have are dialed into the hardest setting. My passengers don't like it but I do, and that's all that matters. My springs practically don't move at all when I hit potholes which could be taken as a bad thing because the rim will take the blunt of it but meh. What is the best autox setup right now? Both rims and tires.

TemecFist

I used to run RS-RR's, and now I use 888r's. The Toyos seem to have ALOT more lateral grip (which is my main concern). The Federals are great for the money, but this is not my DD so no need for "budget" tires. My downfall at this point, is having stock wheels which means stock...ish tire sizes.
So what tire do you like for max lateral grip?

wetwea33

I used to run RS-RR's, and now I use 888r's. The Toyos seem to have ALOT more lateral grip (which is my main concern). The Federals are great for the money, but this is not my DD so no need for "budget" tires. My downfall at this point, is having stock wheels which means stock...ish tire sizes.
So what tire do you like for max lateral grip?
If we're talking lateral grip I would daily a rt660 or re71s before the R888rs again. I would get the nankang or federal track radials before the old toyos of I wanted a 100tw radial.

TemecFist

If we're talking lateral grip I would daily a rt660 or re71s before the R888rs again. I would get the nankang or federal track radials before the old toyos of I wanted a 100tw radial.

I've been waiting to hear some real world reviews of the RT660, I do have my eye on those. The Nankang AR-1's are also on my radar. The Hoosierstones RE-71r would be perfect......if they made them in a size that would fit a stock wheel. I'm also looking at the NT-01's.