Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I promise I'm not retarded... Easiest way back to stereo head unit main menu?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
2017 - I use Apple CarPlay, and it is adequate... but sometimes I need to change a non-carplay setting.
As of right now, I have to mash the source button several times, it goes to AM radio, then from there I can do my thing.
Is there an easier way back to the non-carplay menu structure that I am just missing?

I have tried googling this but I think I am just not calling it the correct name.

Spread the word to end the "R" word. The one "retarded" person I know speaks 3 languages and is an amazing person who sets a perfect example of how to be a good human. I think we should strive to be as kind and respectful as he is. The world would be much better if we did. Besides, there are much better words to use

The answer to your question: Carplay itself doesn't support AM/FM radio, so that's handled through SYNC or whatever base system your car has. While I'm driving, smashing the source button is the best for me since I don't have to look at the screen.

Last edited:
I have good luck pressing the "Sound" button on the right side of the volume knob, that will take you to the sound settings specifically but only takes one "click"

otherwise if you press the "home" icon in AA (sorry I have no experience in CarPlay) there is a "Ford" icon that will also bring you back to the home screen in Sync 3.

Is there a "Ford" or "Sync" button on the home screen of CarPlay? That might also work.

Looks like there might be an option... I'm interested if there are any other options.
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/looking-easier-way-exit-carplay-sync3-480294/

Good Luck! Sonic

Last edited:

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Spread the word to end the "R" word. The one "retarded" person I know speaks 3 languages and is an amazing person who sets a perfect example of how to be a good human. I think we should strive to be as kind and respectful as he is. The world would be much better if we did. Besides, there are much better words to use

The answer to your question: Carplay itself doesn't support AM/FM radio, so that's handled through SYNC or whatever base system your car has. While I'm driving, smashing the source button is the best for me since I don't have to look at the screen.
You want to die on that hill? I'm so tired of this you can't say this or can't say that bullshit, because it might hurt some snowflake's feelings. Call me what you will, but at 63 years old I have better things to do than worry about saying something that might offend someone.

PhoenixM3

You want to die on that hill? I'm so tired of this you can't say this or can't say that bullshit, because it might hurt some snowflake's feelings. Call me what you will, but at 63 years old I have better things to do than worry about saying something that might offend someone.
You beat me to it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

I have a friend and she is plus one Chromosome....she laughs when people use the word retarded* she thinks it's just another slang term for her disability....she finds humor in it and says when riding her 3 wheel trike/ Bike...."Retard coming through"! She dislikes it when other Pc people think they can dictate what she can and can't be called....she would rather determine that herself and not be a "victim " type of person and just live her life to the fullest everyday!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I'm just spreading the word because I think we could all respect each other a lot more and sometimes folks don't intend to be negative, so I don't see the harm in a friendly reminder.

If you want to willingly choose to be negative and disrespectful, well then, that is you're right and you're free to do that. This is America after all [dunno]

Sam4

I'm just spreading the word because I think we could all respect each other a lot more and sometimes folks don't intend to be negative, so I don't see the harm in a friendly reminder.

If you want to willingly choose to be negative and disrespectful, well then, that is you're right and you're free to do that. This is America after all [dunno]
I can't back up an old guy on this one. I'm older'n you old mike. We grew up with eye-pokes and n'yuk, nyuk Three Stooges, Looney Toons, Disney!!.I got in trouble for Blazing Saddle comments (Award winning social commentary). How about Kingfish? There is no way for these to translate to "modern society", we have to adapt. We're smart enough to learn from our mistakes. We can't afford Us vs Them anymore! Anyone who's read my posts know I'm not politically correct, sarcasm and slapstick rule, and may even lean a bit right, but that R word doesn't work.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I think if we chunk every word some people decided we should not use is crazy. I guess we can no longer even retard the timing on a car or rebuild our tranny, LOL!

re·tard

verb
/riˈtärd/
  1. delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.
    "our progress was retarded by unforeseen difficulties"

Oxford Languages

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
I can't back up an old guy on this one. I'm older'n you old mike. We grew up with eye-pokes and n'yuk, nyuk Three Stooges, Looney Toons, Disney!!.I got in trouble for Blazing Saddle comments (Award winning social commentary). How about Kingfish? There is no way for these to translate to "modern society", we have to adapt. We're smart enough to learn from our mistakes. We can't afford Us vs Them anymore! Anyone who's read my posts know I'm not politically correct, sarcasm and slapstick rule, and may even lean a bit right, but that R word doesn't work.
I agree till it comes to speech, words are just words. I'm not going to let some snowflake leftists with zero life experience dictate how I communicate. I was in the Navy 14 years and a combat vet from Desert Storm protecting freedom speech among other things. The only word I will not use is the N word because I find it offensive. That is my choice.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14

Retarded was not used to denigrate another, and was in fact an accurate use of the word - though done in a roundabout and tongue in cheek manner. I was promising that I was not substantively below or behind the baseline, but I appreciate your efforts to defend against what you interpreted as a slight. While obnoxious, it was done with virtuous intent, so I look at it as a net positive. When attempting to police someone else's vocabulary or behavior, remember to factor in intent.

Back on the original topic - I can't believe the solution is to repeatedly mash the "source" button - that's retarded.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
It's probably more depressed than retarded...... by the time you've finished mashing it :)
lol - I have nerve issues that make my hands numb, so I was going crazy thinking maybe I wasn't actually pushing it, but as far as I can tell you do have to just repeatedly mash source until it gets to AM radio, then work from there. How annoying! Although I guess it says a lot about how well carplay works, that the non-carplay options are noticeably obnoxious

lol - I have nerve issues that make my hands numb, so I was going crazy thinking maybe I wasn't actually pushing it, but as far as I can tell you do have to just repeatedly mash source until it gets to AM radio, then work from there. How annoying! Although I guess it says a lot about how well carplay works, that the non-carplay options are noticeably obnoxious
It may have gotten lost in the other discussions earlier in the thread... but there is a only slightly different way that doesn't involve mashing source...

I have good luck pressing the "Sound" button on the right side of the volume knob, that will take you to the sound settings specifically but only takes one "click"

otherwise if you press the "home" icon in AA (sorry I have no experience in CarPlay) there is a "Ford" icon that will also bring you back to the home screen in Sync 3.

Is there a "Ford" or "Sync" button on the home screen of CarPlay? That might also work.

Looks like there might be an option... I'm interested if there are any other options.
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/looking-easier-way-exit-carplay-sync3-480294/

Good Luck! Sonic

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
It may have gotten lost in the other discussions earlier in the thread... but there is a only slightly different way that doesn't involve mashing source...
Thanks, I think I read it without absorbing :facepalm: I'll give it a poke next time I'm in the car.

My solution to the dismal ICE thst Ford supplied was to replace the whole thing with an aftermarket Android Auto unit.

I've not had to mash anything other than potatoes:)