Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I think that I am in trouble.

Sam4

I started a new thread as my last one got hijacked by others into a side topic of selling a transmission.
I bought a highly tuned FIST 2/24.
Check engine light came on first day. Misfire codes.
They weren't hard codes, so I would just coast until they went away.
Then about a couple weeks ago, I started getting this hard P1299 code.
I can hit the hazard lights w/o looking now.
I was in contact w/ the dealer. They kept blowing me off.
I took it to the closest Ford dealership.
They informed me that they might have to reset the ECU and I would lose any mods to it.
I paid $200 for a zip tie and a diagnostic.
Tech didn't reset the ECU as he said this 100% has an ECU mod and he didn't want to make it worse.
They showed me what they did. I lost a clip off of a tuner intake charger hose thing-a-ma-jig.
They charged me $200 and just put a zip tie on it.
I was happy as heck to get the car back.
I had only owned it for a month.
This car was too fun.
Then the P1299 happened.
And that is when hell happened.
to be cont when I am sober and aren't crying....
Ford won't work on modified cars. Your warranty is null and void, and is further documented here. By you.

If you can get it fixed under warranty that'd be awesome, we'll see about that as Ford might fight you if it's "highly modified"....Though I would take that as a grain of salt, as I know some ford techs who would see a AP cable and wouldn't touch the car....

Your best bet, once it's all fixed and running, is to NOT RUN IT, figure out what physical mods it has, get an AccessPort, and get it tuned by Dizzy/tune+/straified.... They can look at your datalogs and decide how the car is running and how it should be tuned, etc....

Or honestly, prolly the best thing to do, if Ford won't rebuild it, is to just send it to someone like TunePlus who builds these cars....won't be cheap but they will be able to get it running for you and running reliably...

If you can get it fixed under warranty that'd be awesome, we'll see about that as Ford might fight you if it's "highly modified"....Though I would take that as a grain of salt, as I know some ford techs who would see a AP cable and wouldn't touch the car....

Your best bet, once it's all fixed and running, is to NOT RUN IT, figure out what physical mods it has, get an AccessPort, and get it tuned by Dizzy/tune+/straified.... They can look at your datalogs and decide how the car is running and how it should be tuned, etc....

Or honestly, prolly the best thing to do, if Ford won't rebuild it, is to just send it to someone like TunePlus who builds these cars....won't be cheap but they will be able to get it running for you and running reliably...
@NotGnu seems to have good intentions but he is not a reliable narrator. if you read the things he did to this car in the first month or two of ownership he drove the NUTS off the thing. hitting 140mph on a public road. autoXing it. (edit: my fault, he didn't say he autoX'd it. just that he signed up to autoX it) all while he now admits it was throwing codes. he did all of this admitting he spent *all* of his (disposable) income to get the Fiesta. he does not have the money for someone like Adam at Tuneplus to fix what's wrong.

@NotGnu you need to figure out if you have an aftermarket turbo on your engine or the stock turbo. you keep saying "this feels like it has 300hp" but you never post anything about the turbo. the stock turbo *cannot* hit 300hp. so if you have an aftermarket turbo you need to figure that out fast.

you also need to figure out if you have an aftermarket intercooler and an aftermarket radiator. judging by how you describe you drive your car, you could be getting heatsoak.

stop asking any more questions and figure those three things out first. then get an accessport and get your tune straightened out.

then if you have a stock turbo with a stock tune, you may get a dealership to fix whatever engine/tranny issues you have under warranty.

good luck.

edit: this is the thread he originally posted where he *caught air going 140mph* and after this is when his car started having trouble
Threw a check engine light no auto reset at 140 mph+ | Fiesta ST Forum

Last edited:
the dealership stated a coil screw was loose, that easily could've been the issue with the misfire. When just really don't know.

So building the car is out of the question, my original post still stands and I agree with @esp_martin.....FIGURE OUT WHAT YOUR CAR HAS DONE TO IT AND GET A NEW TUNE.

If you are stock turbo, you can go to a factory tune no problem. But if it really is 300hp, who knows what the car has (turbo, AUX fuel, HPFP, injectors, ect etc). In that case going to the factory tune might be worse

Shoot, even if you just post some decent pic of the intercooler, engine, and turbo, we could prolly figure out what it is....

Edit: was reading his previous threads and forgot that @CSM said he was close to him....Maybe he'll help you figure out the mods you have if you buy him a case of beer or something?? I really would like to see someone who is familiar with modded FiST's take a look at it....

Last edited:
I'm going to go hug my stock/unbeaten/maintained car after reading this thread.
these cars are extremely reliable, stock, tuned, FBO, and even hybrid/big turbo. They are nowhere NEAR as hard to get running well/reliably as something like a WRX can be....

You just have to know what to keep an eye on, and when you are in over your head.

Not to sound condescending, but the OP is all over the place. “Super tuned” and “tuned as eff” are incredibly objective and vague. Car could have been dying when u bought it. If it is a stock turbo imo is is not super modified. Turbo upgrade is getting into more modded. If you really like the car and want to keep it. Take it to a reputable shop that deals with modded 4cyl fords.

Dealers are pretty clueless imo. They are not going to waste time diagnosing a modded car. And please, put the beer/bourbon down and step away from the keyboard. Come back with ur head on straight and you can type something coherent.

I too must concur that these cars can be very reliable tuned and modded. Mine had been dead reliable tuned about as far as u can take the stock turbo for about 20k miles so far. Hope to retain the reliability when I upgrade to the S280.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Edit: was reading his previous threads and forgot that @CSM said he was close to him....Maybe he'll help you figure out the mods you have if you buy him a case of beer or something?? I really would like to see someone who is familiar with modded FiST's take a look at it....
If I cross paths with OP at a cars and coffee or local event that we are both attending then sure, I would be more than happy to take a look at this car in person.

I recommend OP post this on (Northeast) Ohio Ford Focus/fiesta ST Facebook page

OP
NotGnu

NotGnu

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #30
@NotGnu seems to have good intentions but he is not a reliable narrator. if you read the things he did to this car in the first month or two of ownership he drove the NUTS off the thing. hitting 140mph on a public road. autoXing it. (edit: my fault, he didn't say he autoX'd it. just that he signed up to autoX it) all while he now admits it was throwing codes. he did all of this admitting he spent *all* of his (disposable) income to get the Fiesta. he does not have the money for someone like Adam at Tuneplus to fix what's wrong.

@NotGnu you need to figure out if you have an aftermarket turbo on your engine or the stock turbo. you keep saying "this feels like it has 300hp" but you never post anything about the turbo. the stock turbo *cannot* hit 300hp. so if you have an aftermarket turbo you need to figure that out fast.

you also need to figure out if you have an aftermarket intercooler and an aftermarket radiator. judging by how you describe you drive your car, you could be getting heatsoak.

stop asking any more questions and figure those three things out first. then get an accessport and get your tune straightened out.

then if you have a stock turbo with a stock tune, you may get a dealership to fix whatever engine/tranny issues you have under warranty.

good luck.

edit: this is the thread he originally posted where he *caught air going 140mph* and after this is when his car started having trouble
Threw a check engine light no auto reset at 140 mph+ | Fiesta ST Forum
ech umm...
For the most part, this tattle tale is correct.
But..
No hurt feelings here other than the fact that it broke the first month.
I drove the piss out of it that first month, no lie.
But, I didn't abuse it.
Yes, I had it up to 143mph for like a second and got scared and then backed off, but the rpms were aprox 4k.
I have CO2 in the coolant or something.
I've watched the youtube videos that suggest this engine has a bad design flaw for a narrow head head gasket area or something.
The dealer was shady as heck.
Yes, I know I am probably a dumb arse for buying a heavily modded car.
So, my new question.
What engines can I swap in and how much will this cost.
I'm going to try to save this thing regardless of the cost cuz it too fun.

CSM

1000 Post Club
ech umm...
But..
But, I didn't abuse it.
Yes, I had it up to 143mph for like a second and got scared and then backed off, but the rpms were aprox 4k.
I've watched the youtube videos that suggest this engine has a bad design flaw for a narrow head head gasket area or something.
So, my new question.
These motors are pretty inexpensive because they are in a number of different Ford vehicles. If you truly need a new engine, I'd just buy a new longblock or a low mileage 1.6T since they are pretty reliable.

FWIW - I think you are referring to the cylinder liner cracking issue these motors have that can lead to engine failure. That usually only happens when you are going beyond 350whp. Through 2018 models (I think), the 1.6T has a slot in between the cylinder walls on the top of the deck where the stress fracture occurs on high HP builds. Not really anything to worry about if you keep ther HP to ~300 or so

ech umm...
But..
But, I didn't abuse it.
So, my new question.
can you please start helping us out and posting pictures and giving better descriptions of what you're seeing? stop calling yourself a "dumb arse". no one here is calling you that and you shouldn't call yourself that.

what IS annoying is us trying to help you out and you just ignoring people's questions and continuing with your own questions. the people responding know way more about the Fiesta then you or i will ever learn. i've found everyone who gives advice here is almost always right because they've put the work in and there are only so many things that can go wrong with our cars. the OGs have seen them, fixed it themselves, have seen others with the same problems and then helped them fix it themselves.

OP
NotGnu

NotGnu

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #35
I am sorry.
I am just sad and miss my fun car.
I only drove it for about three weeks and am about to make my 3rd car payment.
Glass half full.
The Chrysler dealership that I bought it from are honoring their limited power train warranty.
They had it towed to a local Ford dealership because it was still under the Ford power train warranty.
Ford dealership said that it had Ford Fusion cylinder heads. I don't even know what cylinder heads are, but the Chrysler dealership where I bought it is having it towed back and ordering the proper cylinder heads.
I assume that it needs a new head gasket as well, cuz the crappy tune place found CO2 gas in the coolant test something or other.
I am not a mechanic.
I've never even changed my own oil.
I assume that they will most likely do this (head gasket).
My Mensa work buddy recommended a good tuner shop.
I will be taking it there so they can tell me what was done.
All I can tell is it has an aftermarket intercooler, turbo not stock, whole crossovers to the down pipe, intake stuff, charge pipes?, waste gate/ blow off valve (it makes all the good noises), charge pipes, cat back, sound supposer something delete, but most likely a tune.
Everyone is saying the tune was the problem.
It may be, I don't know. It ran smooth as silk.
It was so effin fun.
I can't wait to get it back.

dude, I know for a fact that my speedo is in mph. lol.
fair, but we know for a fact the FiestaST can't hit 143mph at 4000rpm. the FiestaST is already at 3000rpm at 80mph...so 143kph (about 88mph) is a lot more realistic. unless you're a time traveler. are you, Marty?

but to play your game, even if you somehow have a transmission where the previous owner custom fabricated a 6th gear long enough to only be at 4000rpm at that speed, the HP and torque your little bean's engine would need to crank in order to push through that dense of air at 4000rpm in sixth gear would be something for the record books.

edit: based on the info you post,maybe you've donk'd your FiST? cause at 143mph with a final gear ratio of 0.69, if your tires are 32in tall then you would indeed be going about 143mph ...

Last edited:
OP
NotGnu

NotGnu

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #38
How am I in this convo. I hit 143 mph. Did at I look at the tach wrong. Who cares. It is broke. I just miss my FIST.

OP
NotGnu

NotGnu

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #40
The dealership where I bought it. (Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram something, shipped it to the Ford dealership. The Ford dealership deniend the power train warranty because of the Fusion cylinder head. The Chrysler dealership ordered a Fiesta cylinder head. fingers crossed.