Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

intercooler

Stkid93

Premium Account
wussup fellas,

i have a 2017 fist i just bought with super low miles. its my daily and my goal is to have a reliable and safe car. I currently have the 93 and e30 tunes. its still pretty cold where I live, but I did a pull the other day. it was 38 degrees out, and i did a 4th gear pull, and by the time the pull was done the charge temps were in the 70's and this was on e30 on a very cold day with a short pull. i know with e30 you shouldn't see knock, but if the charge temps are reaching 70+ after a short pull in winter, i don't even want to know what they will be like on a hot summer day. Ive seen videos where the charge temps got as high as 150-170 after a pull with the stock intercooler. so i decided to go ahead and order the whoosh intercooler. What kind of difference have you guys seen on a stock turbo tuned fist after adding an intercooler? did it make a huge difference in the summer? what about throttle response and spool times, were those affected?

thanks!

SrsBsns

Welcome to the club!
I went with the Depo FMIC which is basically the same. Charge temps are now pretty much always ~8' over ambient unless I'm just sitting in traffic and it drops fast when I start moving again. When driving hard, temps are stable and consistent. Definitely worth the investment. As far as I know, there's really no downside to the Whoosh FMIC.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I was custom tuned for E30 on completely stock hardware.

I finally switched to the whoosh V3. After years of commuting on the stock IC and can confidently say that there is less response on initial tip-in. The donkey kick takes just hair longer to kick. My boost temps are so low, that I don't monitor them. I ran big turbo MS3 on a CPE TMIC and it was completely inadequate.

That all being said, if I could do a straight trade for a V1 intercooler for my V3, I would take it. I think the V3 is overkill for the stock turbo.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
wussup fellas,

i have a 2017 fist i just bought with super low miles. its my daily and my goal is to have a reliable and safe car. I currently have the 93 and e30 tunes. its still pretty cold where I live, but I did a pull the other day. it was 38 degrees out, and i did a 4th gear pull, and by the time the pull was done the charge temps were in the 70's and this was on e30 on a very cold day with a short pull. i know with e30 you shouldn't see knock, but if the charge temps are reaching 70+ after a short pull in winter, i don't even want to know what they will be like on a hot summer day. Ive seen videos where the charge temps got as high as 150-170 after a pull with the stock intercooler. so i decided to go ahead and order the whoosh intercooler. What kind of difference have you guys seen on a stock turbo tuned fist after adding an intercooler? did it make a huge difference in the summer? what about throttle response and spool times, were those affected?

thanks!
Mountune intercooler.. zero impact as far as I could tell.

i dont have hard before and after data but my Whoosh v3 has helped things out in the summer time. Fit was 98% there, just had to trim a tiny bit of unpainted plastic

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
i dont have hard before and after data but my Whoosh v3 has helped things out in the summer time. Fit was 98% there, just had to trim a tiny bit of unpainted plastic
Same here. I didn’t trim anything, but I have a gap in the trim that wasn’t there before. Nobody should be arguing the V3 is a perfect fit, it’s not.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #9
its weird because ive seen some dynos where they did a before and after dyno and adding the intercooler actually added power. but most people argue they don't really "add" power, they just stop you from losing power. but If your numbers are higher after adding the intercooler. i consider that adding power.

As a heads up you can snag that Mountune intercooler for about $430ish while the "winter22" code is still active. If I hadn't grabbed the Whoosh V3 when Ron ran them for $350 I'd probably do that! Like the idea of preserving stock responsiveness since it really is pretty great. Haven't had much of a reason to throw it in yet since I've been on the E30 tune most of the time.

I have the Mountune intercooler, and the quality is great, fits perfect, and definitely makes a difference in temps. However Mountune’s customer service is terrible. They don’t respond to emails or inquiries. If they have it in stock they’ll ship it quick, but if they don’t, be prepared to wait a very long time with no contact. Whoosh has 10x’s better customer service.

I’ve been having my CPE installed for 3 years and it makes a big difference with charge temps, especially when doing sprinted driving. It still looks good too. If you want to save some cash the whoosh v3 is very similar. Can’t go wrong with both.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have the Mountune intercooler, and the quality is great, fits perfect, and definitely makes a difference in temps. However Mountune’s customer service is terrible. They don’t respond to emails or inquiries. If they have it in stock they’ll ship it quick, but if they don’t, be prepared to wait a very long time with no contact. Whoosh has 10x’s better customer service.
I agree that Mountune's customer service leaves a LOT to be desired. Luckily I only live about 25 mins from their place in Carson, so I paid a visit and had them install my radiator, even tough I'd never had any problems with the stock one.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I agree that Mountune's customer service leaves a LOT to be desired. Luckily I only live about 25 mins from their place in Carson, so I paid a visit and had them install my radiator, even tough I'd never had any problems with the stock one.
Are they near the Velodrome?

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #17
I can’t speak to Cobb on the fist. But I had a Cobb intercooler on my Mazda speed 3. And I will be installing the whoosh intercooler this month. I will let you know about my opinion. I know the speed is a totally different car and engine, but charge temps with the Cobb intercooler on my speed we’re usually 5-7 degrees above ambient and never more than 10-15 over ambient even on the hottest days and longer pulls. Unless I was sitting for a super long time and it wasn’t getting any airflow. Fit was awesome, the speed 3 motor was basically the same as the eco boost mustang and focus rs motor. As ford owns mazda I guess they tested it in the speed first, obviously it was an earlier version with a smaller turbo and thus made less power.

Unrelated to intercooler topic, but the Main problem with the disi 2.3 turbo was the hpfp from factory was too weak, all it took was an intake to lose fuel pressure hard. This caused a lot of them to blow up in the early years until we figured out an aftermarket solution to the hpfp internals. So even people on a totally stock car usually upgraded that for safety and peace of mind. They obviously fixed this issue with the eco mustang and rs

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I can’t speak to Cobb on the fist. But I had a Cobb intercooler on my Mazda speed 3. And I will be installing the whoosh intercooler this month. I will let you know about my opinion. I know the speed is a totally different car and engine, but charge temps with the Cobb intercooler on my speed we’re usually 5-7 degrees above ambient and never more than 10-15 over ambient even on the hottest days and longer pulls. Unless I was sitting for a super long time and it wasn’t getting any airflow. Fit was awesome, the speed 3 motor was basically the same as the eco boost mustang and focus rs motor. As ford owns mazda I guess they tested it in the speed first, obviously it was an earlier version with a smaller turbo and thus made less power.

Unrelated to intercooler topic, but the Main problem with the disi 2.3 turbo was the hpfp from factory was too weak, all it took was an intake to lose fuel pressure hard. This caused a lot of them to blow up in the early years until we figured out an aftermarket solution to the hpfp internals. So even people on a totally stock car usually upgraded that for safety and peace of mind. They obviously fixed this issue with the eco mustang and rs
I had a blast in mine but I would never go back. All of the improvements they’ve made since the DISI motor make for superior motors.
Off the top of my head there was the HPFP issue, LSPI, stretched timing chain, breather valve on the shifter had to be caulked or some shit, coolant bypass from the throttle body, EGR delete, dipsticks blowing out, insane blowby if you didn’t have a catch can, long shift throws stock, cracked ringlands were common in cylinder 3. Plus the TMIC made for annoying spark plug changes.
There’s a reason why nobody is swapping DISI motors in their cars, they’re far past their prime. Especially now that we have 300hp 3 cylinder cars.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Cobb vs Whoosh V3, what do people think?
Probably whoosh, with zero basis for that statement. I think if I were to do another stock size (ie not bravo alpha), I’d snag the ATP intercooler that uses a Garrett core. Again with zero basis for this other than “I think”

dhminer

2000 Post Club

Just FYI Ford sold their Mazda shares in 2008. I think they only own something like 2% of Mazda shares now. I had a mazdaspeed6 and absolutely loved that thing.