Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is $17,750 for base Fist a good deal?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I don't think that you get $19,600 OTD price with 9% sales tax. You need to make sure that the sales tax applies to the rebate also. In order to get $19,600 OTD, his sales tax needs to be 7.25%.

Here is the calculation.
MSRP: $22,690
Dealer Discount: $1,940
Ford Rebates: $3,000
Purchase Price: $17,750
Sales Tax: $ 1,504 ($20,750 x 7.25%)
License/Registration: $301
Total: $19,555 (not including $85 doc fee and $30 electronic registration & transfer fee which pretty much all dealers charge at least in SoCal)
OTD: $19,670 incl. dealer fees

I think that "private cash" which Ford used to give out made a huge difference when you made your purchase. Unfortunately, Ford doesn't seem to be giving it out anymore.

There still seem to be a decent amount of inventory of base Black or Grey cars w/ or w/o black wheels but not as much for White or Orange. There are only 8 cars with Recaro option w/in 300 mile of LA, so if anyone want the option, act quickly. They had 13 cars earlier this month. Overall, there are not that many cars if you are picky with the color and options, especially if you don't want to pay for any unnecessary option.
Lol i know the private cash made a huge difference. Like I said earlier things lined up perfectly for me to get a smoking deal. I was prepared to pay more originally as I was ordering a car just how I wanted it. I was expecting to pay in the neighborhood of 21k .
I did not take into account the sales tax on his rebates but quite honestly who cares. You are debating the little things here. He got a great deal we agree , he should run with it.

I did a straight inventory check for both areas and found 21 cars totall in each area add in a possible 10-15 for Sac amd another 10-20 for San Diego county and while that may seem like a lot its actually not numbers wise Galpin alone used to have 10-15 on their lot at any given time in 16-17.
The inventory is depleted and it was done on purpose so they did not lose their asses selling off cars they don’t make much profit on to begin with.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
2019 ST, Magnetic grey, moonroof and black rims, $18.5k OTD last week in VA. ($1k ford military, 500 dealer military, $1k Ford incentive) and it took a DX to find them in PA and DE.

I'm on day 5 of ownership. Yee Haw!

Last edited:
I have bought a car out of state. Don't be lazy, if you can find a great deal outside of your home state DO IT.

The Hyundai Accent Sport Hatchback I bought from Kirkland Ford/Hyundai in Kirkland, WA. I flew up (cost me $130) and drove it back. Got it under invoice.

Bought the Focus ST from Perry Ford in Santa Barbara. $1,500 under invoice

You can get a Fiesta ST under invoice with rebates....Even in California.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I have bought a car out of state. Don't be lazy, if you can find a great deal outside of your home state DO IT.

The Hyundai Accent Sport Hatchback I bought from Kirkland Ford/Hyundai in Kirkland, WA. I flew up (cost me $130) and drove it back. Got it under invoice.

Bought the Focus ST from Perry Ford in Santa Barbara. $1,500 under invoice

You can get a Fiesta ST under invoice with rebates....Even in California.
I did, in fact I got it considerably under invoice in state. Ya you can still get it cheaper out of state. If you are not too picky about your preferences. I ordered mine exactly as I wanted it and still got it under invoice.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I don't think that you get $19,600 OTD price with 9% sales tax. You need to make sure that the sales tax applies to the rebate also. In order to get $19,600 OTD, his sales tax needs to be 7.25%.

Here is the calculation.
MSRP: $22,690
Dealer Discount: $1,940
Ford Rebates: $3,000
Purchase Price: $17,750
Sales Tax: $ 1,504 ($20,750 x 7.25%)
License/Registration: $301
Total: $19,555 (not including $85 doc fee and $30 electronic registration & transfer fee which pretty much all dealers charge at least in SoCal)
OTD: $19,670 incl. dealer fees

I think that "private cash" which Ford used to give out made a huge difference when you made your purchase. Unfortunately, Ford doesn't seem to be giving it out anymore.

There still seem to be a decent amount of inventory of base Black or Grey cars w/ or w/o black wheels but not as much for White or Orange. There are only 8 cars with Recaro option w/in 300 mile of LA, so if anyone want the option, act quickly. They had 13 cars earlier this month. Overall, there are not that many cars if you are picky with the color and options, especially if you don't want to pay for any unnecessary option.
All tax BS aside as that can vary so much in every area (I only pay a 0.5% new car excise in my state), I think we should always discuss the price of the car itself and getting an almost $2k dealer discount is not an easy feat, but is more possible in states with high sales taxes it appears as I got mine (exactly like OP, magnetic with black wheels only) for $18250 and that was only a $1250 dealer discount and the $3000 rebate... so to me, $17,750 is $500 less than I paid for mine, so I think that's a good deal!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I did, in fact I got it considerably under invoice. Ya you can still get it cheaper out of state. If you are not too picky about your preferences. I ordered mine exactly as I wanted it and still got it under invoice.
Exactly "invoice" doesn't mean much when they get huge manufacturer kickbacks for moving cars/high volume and they get points on the financing too... they have their ways to make their money or at least keep the low profit cars moving out so they can keep their volume numbers up to make even bigger kickbacks while moving profitable pickups and SUV's.

I just got a '15 with Nav and Recaros and 18k miles for 16 grand.

Seems like you could do better.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I just got a '15 with Nav and Recaros and 18k miles for 16 grand.

Seems like you could do better.
4 year old car without Sync3 that makes factory nav obsolete and the old overly dampened suspension... oh OK... nothing personal or anything "wrong" with that, but I think you're the one who overpaid a little, not him... Recaro's are nice but not worth $2000 difference on a used car.

4 year old car without Sync3 that makes factory nav obsolete and the old overly dampened suspension... oh OK... nothing personal or anything "wrong" with that, but I think you're the one who overpaid a little, not him... Recaro's are nice but not worth $2000 difference on a used car.
Oh, SNAP! Did I just get served on a forum? Haha

Hey, nothing personal, just justifying the value back for him too, that's all... when you get the latest one with all the refinements and with huge discounts it really makes it worth it!
Oh, ok! It sure sounded aggressive!

I just wanted to add my personal experience, not measuring dixx. I really wanted Recaros and Performance Blue!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Oh, ok! It sure sounded aggressive!

I just wanted to add my personal experience, not measuring dixx. I really wanted Recaros and Performance Blue!
As was I, you claimed 16k for a 4 year old FiST was some good deal and told OP he could do better when actually you could have done better, that's all man... But there is definitely dome value in getting exactly what you wanted and it sounded like OP did too.

I did, in fact I got it considerably under invoice in state. Ya you can still get it cheaper out of state. If you are not too picky about your preferences. I ordered mine exactly as I wanted it and still got it under invoice.
Ordered cars have an advantage to the dealership as it's a sale already wrapped up. They don't mind giving you deep discounts at that point.

Same as BMW, Audi and MBZ dealers who give big discounts with overseas purchases, you get cars at invoice or below because it's a car being built that's already sold and because it's registered, it cost less for the OEM to ship it to America.

All tax BS aside as that can vary so much in every area (I only pay a 0.5% new car excise in my state), I think we should always discuss the price of the car itself and getting an almost $2k dealer discount is not an easy feat, but is more possible in states with high sales taxes it appears as I got mine (exactly like OP, magnetic with black wheels only) for $18250 and that was only a $1250 dealer discount and the $3000 rebate... so to me, $17,750 is $500 less than I paid for mine, so I think that's a good deal!
Taxes don't have much to do it with it, it's the information you have...

Some areas of the country are heavy in truck sales, they will get one or two Focus ST/Fiesta ST's and they will be on the lot 90 days or more. Why? Because in truck country who wants to drive a tiny car? Only broke people and even then they get the base model S sedan anyway.

Also while California is a very densely populated state it still remains that over 45% of the population is east of the Mississippi, which means there is far more competition for people looking to buy cars.

That is why price drops are more successful and more frequent back east.

All that said, rule number one in getting the best price is to pit dealerships against each other. If you call Ford directly they will tell you every dealer in a 500-1000 mile radius that has a Fiesta ST.

Rule #2 don't get locked in on color and options. None of the colors the car is offered in are ugly and if you worried about what others think we're already off to a bad start. My Focus ST was Race Red ST2 and sat on the lot for more than 90 days. They were happy to get rid of it and my first offer was a price a dealership in Baltimore was going to sell me but we couldn't agree on the trade value of the Hyundai I mentioned earlier. They agreed to it (not even one counter offer), I drove out the next day, signed all the paperwork and drove home.

I paid $24,295 on a car with an MSRP of $29295. That includes private cash ($750) and rebate ($1250). The rebates back around Memorial Day were much more aggressive but I was waiting for my credit score to update.

There isn't much margin in the Fiesta ST, but that does not mean there aren't incentives directly from Ford to the dealer that are almost never mentioned.

Getting a base FiST for under $17K is possible, I've seen it. go back further in this thread and you'll see how often it's happen.

I know people that got base Focus ST's for $19K, MSRP was $24,600 or something.

All my info comes from James Bragg - https://fightingchance.com/

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ordered cars have an advantage to the dealership as it's a sale already wrapped up. They don't mind giving you deep discounts at that point.

Same as BMW, Audi and MBZ dealers who give big discounts with overseas purchases, you get cars at invoice or below because it's a car being built that's already sold and because it's registered, it cost less for the OEM to ship it to America.
Ahem tell me something I don”t know lol. I have been around in the world.

Last edited:

Hachi2Go

Didn't want to start a new thread. I'm in nor cal (not too far from the bay area). Also looking to purchase a magnetic grey ST with the black wheels. Which dealership did you talk to? The few I talked with are all asking for 19800+ before tax/reg.