Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is anyone interested in a stock framed turbo upgrade in the USA?

slopoke

We've seen a few come here to gauge interest. Frankenturbo was here and was developing one and was never heard from again. Vargas turbo came here and was developing one but was shamed out of here, because his reputation followed him here. He took his toys and went home. So as far as people being cynical, these are a few reasons why.

Not sure there's a market for more but if you're playing around perhaps you can create one... consider what shortcoming with current ones you're improving, as there are quite a few options for stock frame turbos, and plenty have gone away also.

OP
T
Thread Starter #23
We've seen a few come here to gauge interest. Frankenturbo was here and was developing one and was never heard from again. Vargas turbo came here and was developing one but was shamed out of here, because his reputation followed him here. He took his toys and went home. So as far as people being cynical, these are a few reasons why.
Honestly, I was expecting more cynicism πŸ˜€
You guys aren't too bad compared to the ZX2 guys of old πŸ˜‰
I'm just approaching this as a passion project. If the work I do on my own turbo can benefit others, and it makes sense financially, then it will be a go.
The only thing that would set my turbo appart from others is a lower price and perhaps a lower hp level. Perhaps a true entry level turbo?
We will see where this goes...πŸ€“πŸ‘

We are a volume producer of turbos and occasionally we get some interesting repair jobs from local performance shops. Today we repaired a couple turbos for a GTR. Pictures attached.

Attachments

CSM

1000 Post Club
I love my X37. Seems Pumaspeed isn't really supporting the X37 anymore so it hasn't been available on the market for some time.

I think if you came up with something reliable, inexpensive, and in the same power category as X37 there would be a market for it.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
I agree with everything said so far on this topic. A $500-$900 would be nice, but I don't see it happening long term, regardless of the "passion" in the Passion Project. Is there any market data on an in-between sized turbo - stock 200hp < ??? < 300hp < .....

Is this just a side project to keep your attention, are you looking to make a few grand and move on or are you scoping out another market segment for the long-term potential? If you are a business, you have to approach with that mentality. You could make the best $500 turbo, but if you make 10 and stop because you have a new passion making turbos for the upcoming 'Brand X car'....well... I would rather buy a from a business that continues production of a product (same model or an improved one) rather than a one-off that may stop production (replacement/warranty concerns).

----------
Demand refers to how much of a product consumers are willing to purchase, at different price points, during a certain time period. We all have limited resources, and we have to decide what we're willing and able to buy.

While demand explains the consumer side of purchasing decisions, supply relates to the seller's desire to make a profit. A supply schedule shows the amount of product that a supplier is willing and able to offer to the market, at specific price points, during a certain time period. (that is key. Example: you produce, everybody loves them, some of us put off buying the other brand and are about to put in the order and you lost your passion to produce. Or we start saving and while we save, you stop.)

Equilibrium is the point where demand for a product equals the quantity supplied. This means that there's no surplus and no shortage of goods.
-----------

I would suggest some formal market research before you continue down this path. The most successful businesses do. YMMV. Good luck.

OP
T
Thread Starter #26
I agree with everything said so far on this topic. A $500-$900 would be nice, but I don't see it happening long term, regardless of the "passion" in the Passion Project. Is there any market data on an in-between sized turbo - stock 200hp < ??? < 300hp < .....

Is this just a side project to keep your attention, are you looking to make a few grand and move on or are you scoping out another market segment for the long-term potential? If you are a business, you have to approach with that mentality. You could make the best $500 turbo, but if you make 10 and stop because you have a new passion making turbos for the upcoming 'Brand X car'....well... I would rather buy a from a business that continues production of a product (same model or an improved one) rather than a one-off that may stop production (replacement/warranty concerns).

----------
Demand refers to how much of a product consumers are willing to purchase, at different price points, during a certain time period. We all have limited resources, and we have to decide what we're willing and able to buy.

While demand explains the consumer side of purchasing decisions, supply relates to the seller's desire to make a profit. A supply schedule shows the amount of product that a supplier is willing and able to offer to the market, at specific price points, during a certain time period. (that is key. Example: you produce, everybody loves them, some of us put off buying the other brand and are about to put in the order and you lost your passion to produce. Or we start saving and while we save, you stop.)

Equilibrium is the point where demand for a product equals the quantity supplied. This means that there's no surplus and no shortage of goods.
-----------

I would suggest some formal market research before you continue down this path. The most successful businesses do. YMMV. Good luck.
Thanks for the feedback and careful thought.
I have a more simple approach.
1: Prove out the parts on my own car.
2: Add new part number to our system.
3: Open up to orders.
4: You call, turbo ships within 24-48hrs.

I'm not doing this to make money for myself. The buisness would handle orders and receive the profit. All I need to do is set up the part number πŸ˜€πŸ‘

I'm planning on owning this car for 10 years. I already own one other Fiesta (2012 SFE) and plan on buying one for each of my 5 kids as they reach driving age. So, at this moment, I'm committed to the Fiesta. I still own the very first car I ever bought and I drove the ZX2 for 377,000 miles, I like long term commitments.

Please continue to voice feedback, interest and concerns, that will help the process along.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I can put over 600 miles a week if not more at times. If you need a longevity tester PM me. I don't need a free hand out either

Interested, I can be a tester as well, again no hand out needed either

This would be interesting if it is what I think it is - modified stock turbo right? Wouldn't mind that as an option. Somewhere around stock FoST power on 91 would be great.

Wouldn't mind testing one either, gets hot AF out here too *wink wink.*

OP
T
Thread Starter #32
This would be interesting if it is what I think it is - modified stock turbo right? Wouldn't mind that as an option. Somewhere around stock FoST power on 91 would be great.

Wouldn't mind testing one either, gets hot AF out here too *wink wink.*
You hit the nail on the head, stock or stock +, FoST power on 91 would be the goal and it would be a stock, modified turbo. I'm interested in long term, 100,000 mile, durability. Therefore you dont want to run the fuel system and turbo at ten, tenths in order to make 300+hp. Keep it to seven, tenths and enjoy 250-275hp for many years to come....that would be my hope. Of course, I am brand new to the ST community...however I have 205k on my SFE with the original DCT still working great πŸ€“πŸ‘

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You're looking at X47 size for 260+ aren't you? The X37 was a wonderful turbo, and if you do build one that is similar to an X37 for a better-than-whoosh price, you will have one sold to a track fiesta lol

OP
T
Thread Starter #36
The plan has changed somewhat, which may allow some more airflow while keepinglow end response. I'd like a tester who has a well equipped car and is mechanicaly inclined so I can get some good feedback.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Of course, I am brand new to the ST community...however I have 205k on my SFE with the original DCT still working great πŸ€“πŸ‘
I thought that the SFEs were 5 cog manuals ONLY? [???:)]
(Or were the earliest ones available with the 'problematic' slushbox??)

OP
T
Thread Starter #38
The DCT is not a slushbox...
More like a jutter box 😁
Not everyone had trouble, if you drive them easy, then they treat you well.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I thought that the SFEs were 5 cog manuals ONLY? [???:)]
(Or were the earliest ones available with the 'problematic' slushbox??)
Some came with the 6 speed. Even here in the US. They are the unicorns, though.
Any Fiesta with a manual is a good used car bargain. The base model is a sturdy, good-handling small car.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I'm pretty sure I'd put the most mileage on your turbo and I'm not the nicest.

PM if interested in real feedback