Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is anyone interested in a stock framed turbo upgrade in the USA?

So, I build turbos for a living. Which is not something I often share because people tend to ask for things once they know.
Being a new owner of a Fiesta ST, I naturally wanted to know what turbo options there were.
I'm not interested in big power, just keeping it below 300 and using the stock turbo frame and keeping similar spool characteristics which is why I bought the car.
The X37 was attractive to me, so I looked into what it would take to recreate it. I have all the parts available and the machine shop to make it happen, which I will do for myself.
So I am wondering if this is something that the community is interested in, or have they moved on to bigger things...

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
So, I build turbos for a living. Which is not something I often share because people tend to ask for things once they know.
Being a new owner of a Fiesta ST, I naturally wanted to know what turbo options there were.
I'm not interested in big power, just keeping it below 300 and using the stock turbo frame and keeping similar spool characteristics which is why I bought the car.
The X37 was attractive to me, so I looked into what it would take to recreate it. I have all the parts available and the machine shop to make it happen, which I will do for myself.
So I am wondering if this is something that the community is interested in, or have they moved on to bigger things...
Did you check out what Whoosh offers?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
Dont know who sour skittles is...I realize this is a forum so it can be difficult to get cred. I was parts of TeamZX2 for a long time under the same username.

I looked at Whoosh, why do you ask?

wetwea33

There are already plenty of options for stock frame upgrades to be honest.
Is this Sour Skittles in disguise?
He's on all the Facebook groups already and he's not really trying to hide so there would be no reason on here either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
OK...just checking! Some people come on here using different alias's ....that is why I ask.. If you wanna know the whole story look up Deadhook motor sports/DHM to see the Downfall and story behind it all.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Any more options added to the FiST world / platform are welcome though that's for sure. I don't see this Forum shrinking anytime soon. If you do AWESOME! Good luck!

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
I saw there are plenty of options, however the price points are higher that I expected.
It doesn't seem to challenging to bring a more basic upgrade in at at a lower price point. I'm not intending to erode the market value or devalue someone elses hard work. We've already got a strong buisness in a different area of the turbo market and this would be just a passion project for me to jelp get some budget minded folks into a better turbo.

I would want to know if your turbo would be better or cheaper than the whoosh hybrid turbo. I think it would be hard to beat it

OP
T
Thread Starter #12
Can't really give any comparisons of a turbo that doesn't exist. However the parts used in the x37 are based on VW/Audi parts for the KP39/K03, so there is no reason not to believe that it would respond and support similar hp to the X37.
I am anxious to find out for myself.

Well I plan on being bolt on stage 2.5. I'd really like to go full bolt on stage 3 custom tune for both. Really like to build for weekend mountain Carver/ daliy.

I'd be very interested in a cheaper bolt-on option that can get around 260-275whp or so on pump gas. You said the price points of current offerings are higher than you expected - what do you predict you can make and sell a similar x37 for?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I always thought the x37 was a great Turbo. It gave the potential to get let's say 25% more horsepower, and actually have some top in instead of falling flat on its face. Anyway good luck it's always cool to see somebody try something different.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I always thought Hybrid turbos cost way too much.....just saying

I know the parts used does not cost what they sell for. Nor the labor

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I saw there are plenty of options, however the price points are higher that I expected.
It doesn't seem to challenging to bring a more basic upgrade in at at a lower price point. I'm not intending to erode the market value or devalue someone elses hard work. We've already got a strong buisness in a different area of the turbo market and this would be just a passion project for me to jelp get some budget minded folks into a better turbo.
Can you point to another product you manufacture that would speak to your quality/reliability record? That seems to be the common denominator with these hybrid turbos. In my opinion, they seem to less reliable than a turbo from say, Garrett.

OP
T
Thread Starter #19
Can you point to another product you manufacture that would speak to your quality/reliability record? That seems to be the common denominator with these hybrid turbos. In my opinion, they seem to less reliable than a turbo from say, Garrett.
If this comes to fruition, then I'll provide some additional background.
Quality and reliability of aftermarket turbos is a fun topic, I have specific thoughts about that, perhaps that could be discussed in another thread.
First step was to gauge interest, which seems moderate.
Next step is to build one or two to test. One for myself, set up for testing, so I can try it out with some ability to log performance...boost vs backpressure, egt's and if I can find a way to get the shaft speed that would be helpful. I'm ok abusing it because I can always just fix it 😀👍
I built the turbo on my wife's vehicle. The turbo now has 160,000 miles. It's been overheated badly once, ran low on oil 3 times and at full boost, it is over speeding. It still works perfectly and has no shaft play or oil leakage. They dont all work out like that one, but I have not been able to break it yet.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
If this comes to fruition, then I'll provide some additional background.
Quality and reliability of aftermarket turbos is a fun topic, I have specific thoughts about that, perhaps that could be discussed in another thread.
First step was to gauge interest, which seems moderate.
Next step is to build one or two to test. One for myself, set up for testing, so I can try it out with some ability to log performance...boost vs backpressure, egt's and if I can find a way to get the shaft speed that would be helpful. I'm ok abusing it because I can always just fix it [emoji3][emoji106]
I built the turbo on my wife's vehicle. The turbo now has 160,000 miles. It's been overheated badly once, ran low on oil 3 times and at full boost, it is over speeding. It still works perfectly and has no shaft play or oil leakage. They dont all work out like that one, but I have not been able to break it yet.
[emoji106]

What’s your wife’s vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk