Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Jigsaw Says - "I Want To Play A Game"

300 Miles on Engine #2; Knocking Sound is back again!

UPDATE PAGE 5 - New motor is doing it with less than 300 miles on it

I want to play a game. The sound you're hearing in the clip below is either something leading to catastrophic failure, or it's something much simpler and instead your paranoia will torment you for no reason. Either way the next few weeks of your life will be spent crying in the corner alone."

[video]https://youtu.be/ttVizRqwyYM[/video]

Okay so really, I'm pretty stumped. My car has made this sound since purchasing it, and now has 952 miles. Only makes it when the car is warmed up and sitting at idle. As soon as you blip the throttle, sound pretty much fades away. In the clip I'm recording from under the engine, but after popping the hood and removing the plastic shroud I feel the sound is more pronounced from the top 1/2. And no it's not normal DI sounds, I'm familiar with those and as you can tell from the video it's beyond that. Car is bone stock except for a mishimoto catch can and a cobb rear motor mount.

Any ST I've personally heard idling in person does not do this. I'd just like some forum feedback before my dealer appt. next wednesday. I've searched the internetz and found several others with similar issues but there's never any follow up with resolution or dealer feedback. But based on shear number, we appear to be the very small minority, not the norm. Here's an example of a few others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0mIDGnIBOA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU91uezH3tM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrLiJKRVDCM

Normal DI sounds - Normal tick and noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8whyLAghA30

I appreciate constructive input! Thank you.

OP
O
Thread Starter #3
Mine sounds like the last one. A knock that pronounced would make me a bit paranoid.
Right, I included that last one because that is what I consider normal DI characteristics that a lot of first time DI owners consider an issue when it's not.

Yeah this is the first direct injection car I've owned. First turbo too. Definitely been a learning curve.

OP
O
Thread Starter #5
Yeah this is the first direct injection car I've owned. First turbo too. Definitely been a learning curve.
The tick and noise is normal. This mystery knock those of us are seeing that I've listed above is definitely not...

I'm hoping someone with similar issues & a resolution can chime in.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I don't beleive its normal I would take it to a dealership. Couple of things. See if the noise is the same when the AC is ON or OFF and max heat (set climate to max AC then completely off then max heat). Also check oil level.

Well shit, mine sounds exactly like your first video. Only does it at idle, off idle it goes away, and not heard anywhere above idle. 587 miles as of tonight. Hmmmm....

OP
O
Thread Starter #8
I don't beleive its normal I would take it to a dealership. Couple of things. See if the noise is the same when the AC is ON or OFF and max heat (set climate to max AC then completely off then max heat). Also check oil level.
Oil levels are spot on, did my first change at 800 miles.

I'll check with the AC. What does that test try and troubleshoot/pinpoint?

OP
O
Thread Starter #9
Well shit, mine sounds exactly like your first video. Only does it at idle, off idle it goes away, and not heard anywhere above idle. 587 miles as of tonight. Hmmmm....
This is why I'm trying to help the community and figure out what the heck is going on. Most people don't have the issue, then theirs the relatively small number of us I've found that do. Bad batch of x in the factory? Friday afternoon shift when assembly happened? I'm stumped

This is why I'm trying to help the community and figure out what the heck is going on. Most people don't have the issue, then theirs the relatively small number of us I've found that do. Bad batch of x in the factory? Friday afternoon shift when assembly happened? I'm stumped
Whats your build date? Mines Arpil 2015 i think. I will try to get mine in Monday to see what the dealership says. I dont expect much, my dealership has only sold one, mine. So i will not have another to compare to.

Fyi mines a 15 model with build date of 06/14 and does not have that sound with over 8k

twolf

Take a look at the exhaust pipe where it goes over the little brace. It's likely not that on your car, but mine was rubbing on that and making some insane noises.

OP
O
Thread Starter #15
Whats your build date? Mines Arpil 2015 i think. I will try to get mine in Monday to see what the dealership says. I dont expect much, my dealership has only sold one, mine. So i will not have another to compare to.
Is is based on VIN? Remind me how to spot that.

My local dealers have none either. I am building information from forums and such so I can help the dealer with as much information as possible. I'll know more Wednesday.

OP
O
Thread Starter #16
Take a look at the exhaust pipe where it goes over the little brace. It's likely not that on your car, but mine was rubbing on that and making some insane noises.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm pretty positive it's not exhaust rattling but I'll take a peek.

OP
O
Thread Starter #18
So turning on the AC appears to make the sound almost disappear.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Interesting. Could be the ac compressor clutch knocking when disengaged. I would still take it in but show them the video you have and that with the AC on it is better. Replacing the ac compressor is a quick thing to do. They could also put a stetoshcope (yes I do use them to pin point sounds) on the ac compressor to confirm you findings. Good luck.

1l2l

[video=youtube;3ppQP9T5dYk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ppQP9T5dYk[/video]
Noise my fiesta makes with no mods and 37000 miles and the noise only recently started happening