Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Just traded in my '04 WRX wagon for a '14 Oxford White FiST

OP
deepblue
Thread Starter #21
So it sounds like if I really want to take advantage of all this hardware and know what fuel to run, my day bet is to have it dynoed and tuned by professionals at this point. Am I close?

So it sounds like if I really want to take advantage of all this hardware and know what fuel to run, my day bet is to have it dynoed and tuned by professionals at this point. Am I close?
Find out exactly what mods you have. Post detailed pics or find a local ST owner that can help. Buy an AP from stratified and let them know what mods are on the car so they can send you a flash tune. This is what I would do..

OP
deepblue
Thread Starter #23
Alright. That sounds like a good plan.

It seems that I'm getting pretty far afield in an introduction thread. Can someone point me to the most appropriate spot in the forums to solicit help?

When you install an AP to your car, it will copy whatever map is on the ecu and save that as your base that will be reinstalled when you uninstall the AP. If the old owner uninstalled an AP, then you have an OEM map on your ecu. You only have an aftermarket map if the car had an AP that was not uninstalled, which is not likely because that would make it impossible to use the AP on a different car and make the AP worthless. The AP is vehicle specific--you can't borrow one and use it install the base map onto your car. When it is uninstalled from the car it is currently married to and you install it on your car, whatever map you have on your car will first overwrite what is on the AP and saved as your base map to be reinstalled when you uninstall the AP from your car.

All that said, buy an AP then use an OTS (off the shelf) Cobb tune that matches your mods. It is free and downloadable on the Cobb website and it is good. Then decide what other tune you might want. I live in Ohio and E85 is available so I bought a Stratified tune that has both 93 and E30 tunes that are switchable on the go using the cruise control buttons. The E30 tune is really great but there are a number of tuners here that people have had great luck with.

Any chance you can take some over the top engine pictures and an under car picture? Where is the Tial BOV mounted? From the looks of it, you're on the right path. I can't tell from the pictures if the downpipe has a bracket on it or not, but that resonator and the muffler setup as well as the o2 sensor location before the flex section makes me think it has an older 2JR downpipe and catback:

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/8929-2JR-409-SS-Downpipe-Sale-199-Shipped!
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/1087-2JR-3-quot-Hi-Power-Catback-Exhaust-529

By the looks of the intercooler, it definitely looks to be aftermarket, but more along the lines of a MAP intercooler. Most of the Cobb/Depo type cores (that I've seen) the end tanks are covered by the corners of the grill.

Only other thing I would suggest is poking around near the turbo to see if it has an aftermarket wastegate and/or blockoff plate as well as whether the intake elbow is stock or not. Just to make sure it doesn't have a hybrid before you go changing maps.

If full stock turbo, I'd recommend getting an AP, downloading the map off of it, driving the tank empty, flashing it back to stock and refilling on 93. Run it light on that tank of gas till you sort out all the modifications and then retune appropriately. With no warranty, I wouldn't go tossing different maps on until you're 100% sure you know what you have.

Don't be scared of the mods, from the sounds of it, you have a solid base to work off of, just make sure you get it all sorted before you start flogging it. Looking forward to some more pictures!

**Also, any accident history? I know you mentioned clear bra and maybe it's just the lighting, but the front bumper definitely looks to be a different shade of white, a bit brighter.

OP
deepblue
Thread Starter #26
Any chance you can take some over the top engine pictures and an under car picture? Where is the Tial BOV mounted? From the looks of it, you're on the right path. I can't tell from the pictures if the downpipe has a bracket on it or not, but that resonator and the muffler setup as well as the o2 sensor location before the flex section makes me think it has an older 2JR downpipe and catback:

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/8929-2JR-409-SS-Downpipe-Sale-199-Shipped!
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/1087-2JR-3-quot-Hi-Power-Catback-Exhaust-529

By the looks of the intercooler, it definitely looks to be aftermarket, but more along the lines of a MAP intercooler. Most of the Cobb/Depo type cores (that I've seen) the end tanks are covered by the corners of the grill.

Only other thing I would suggest is poking around near the turbo to see if it has an aftermarket wastegate and/or blockoff plate as well as whether the intake elbow is stock or not. Just to make sure it doesn't have a hybrid before you go changing maps.

If full stock turbo, I'd recommend getting an AP, downloading the map off of it, driving the tank empty, flashing it back to stock and refilling on 93. Run it light on that tank of gas till you sort out all the modifications and then retune appropriately. With no warranty, I wouldn't go tossing different maps on until you're 100% sure you know what you have.

Don't be scared of the mods, from the sounds of it, you have a solid base to work off of, just make sure you get it all sorted before you start flogging it. Looking forward to some more pictures!

**Also, any accident history? I know you mentioned clear bra and maybe it's just the lighting, but the front bumper definitely looks to be a different shade of white, a bit brighter.
First, THANK YOU EVERYONE so far for all the help and advice! I made the right choice coming here!

Ok! I've got some pics, and I'm going to take some more today. I'm having issues uploading due to file size restrictions which is why I've been so slow, having to compress and all that. Here's what I've got so far:

Engine, top

camerazoom_201802251_rZKYp.jpg camerazoom_201802251_lqOWq.jpg

And BOV, different angles

camerazoom_201802251_fqwoh.jpg camerazoom_201802251_bGV16.jpg

There was no accident history on the CarFax. I am technically the third owner, but the second "owner" wasn't a private owner and didn't drive the car. Not sure of the circumstances.

I agree, I think my exhaust matches that 2JR perfectly. I don't know what that means in terms of performance (I'm kind of learning on the fly here, got thrown right into the deep end!)

I'm pretty sure that it's tuned to stock. My 14 year old WRX was a hair quicker, but this thing is orders of magnitude more fun. To be safe, I'll be running it exclusively on 93 until I can secure an AP. I've got more pictures, but they're kind of garbage. I'll see if I can get some better ones here in a bit. I'm not sure how to get a better angle on the intercooler, as it's encased in plastic from the back and bottom. Also I'm ashamed to admit I have yet to identify the turbo (please be kind). I know what it should look like, just don't know where to look. The search continues!

So it looks like the Tial BOV is attached to an ATP Hot side charge pipe:
https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-FIE-004

to take a look at the turbo, follow that pipe up the back of the engine. The silicone hose will connect to the turbo. You should be able to get a bit of a view of whatever is up there and any attached parts. That charge pipe and the exhaust downpipe both connect to the turbo.

OP
deepblue
Thread Starter #28
So it looks like the Tial BOV is attached to an ATP Hot side charge pipe:
https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-FIE-004

to take a look at the turbo, follow that pipe up the back of the engine. The silicone hose will connect to the turbo. You should be able to get a bit of a view of whatever is up there and any attached parts. That charge pipe and the exhaust downpipe both connect to the turbo.
Ok. I have three pictures of what I think is the turbo (god I feel so lame):

CameraZOOM-20180226112020693.jpg CameraZOOM-20180226111851025.jpg CameraZOOM-20180226111757013.jpg

and a few pictures of what I think is the top of the intercooler (not much but something) peeking out (how do I get to the intercooler?):

CameraZOOM-20180226112314455.jpg CameraZOOM-20180226112322770.jpg CameraZOOM-20180226112326998.jpg CameraZOOM-20180226112337993.jpg CameraZOOM-20180226112341857.jpg

Also, whomever said that the clear bra looks off, I think you're right. The main piece on the front bumper appears to be completely missing. I'll need to rectify that immediately.

Last edited:
Lol, and I wouldn't do anything with the tune on your car. get yourself an Accessport for sure, but that sure looks a lot like an ATP turbo kit as it is definitely not a factory turbo. You're definitely going to want to get some logs over to a tuner to make sure everything is safe... if it's tuned properly, there is no way your stock WRX would be faster than a FiST modified at this point.

A7xogg

Wow. thats lucky and not so lucky. Now you gotta figure out how to get ur own accessport installed on their and get a protune from your trusted tuner.

OP
deepblue
Thread Starter #33
Wow. thats lucky and not so lucky. Now you gotta figure out how to get ur own accessport installed on their and get a protune from your trusted tuner.
Arrrgh. Accidentally deleted my post trying to edit a spelling error.

Wow. You're not kidding. I was expecting a spirited drive and good gas mileage, and landed a full blown race car!

Seriously, though, I have so many questions.

Is it doing anything bad for the health of the car to run a stock tune with all of these mods? How badly does this affect my gas mileage?

On the other hand, once I get to a tuner and get all of this sorted, what sort of gas mileage and/or horsepower might I be looking at? Are there any reputable tuners in or near central indiana?

This is my only car. It's supposed to be my DD. Am I going to be ok?

I know that I'm running a stock suspension, is that unsafe when fully tuned? I'm not sure about brakes, whether they're aftermarket, or just painted calipers, they do a great job so far, either way. I've got some pics here somewhere...

camerazoom_201802251_CyTsT.jpg

Ok, sorry for so many questions, I've just got a lot to learn!

Last edited:

A7xogg

Arrrgh. Accidentally deleted my post trying to edit a spelling error.

Wow. You're not kidding. I was expecting a spirited drive and good gas mileage, and landed a full blown race car!

Seriously, though, I have so many questions.

Is it doing anything bad for the health of the car to run a stock tune with all of these mods? How badly does this affect my gas mileage?

On the other hand, once I get to a tuner and get all of this sorted, what sort of gas mileage and/or horsepower might I be looking at? Are there any reputable tuners in or near central indiana?

This is my only car. It's supposed to be my DD. Am I going to be ok?

I know that I'm running a stock suspension, is that unsafe when fully tuned? I'm not sure about brakes, whether they're aftermarket, or just painted calipers, they do a great job so far, either way. I've got some pics here somewhere...

View attachment 17174

Ok, sorry for so many questions, I've just got a lot to learn!
I'm gonna recommend my tuner Brian from jst performance. Others are gonna recommend their tuner but he's the best on the St and RS platform. I would just stay outta boost till you can moniter everything. And your gonna make about the same torque as a stock turbo with mods and a tune so you will be safe. Should be at 280-300whp with 300+wtq once you get tuned

OP
deepblue
Thread Starter #35
MYSTERY SOLVED!

...I think!

poking around on google and I think I found an old ad for my car! It matches almost perfectly. The ad is on a webpage here:

http://precycledgear.com/2014-ford-fiesta-st/

The description of the mods seems to dovetail nicely with the mods that I am able to identify, it has the recaros, and my floormats, also there are a pair of cobb stickers in the exact same places as my car on the bottom of the back windows on both sides of the car. But...but! The coup de grace is the description and picture of the scratches on the inside of the hatch door. Check out the last pic in the ad, which is this:

Fiesta17.jpg

and compare it with THIS, which I just took in my driveway:

CameraZOOM-20180227124249619.jpg

They're at different angles, with different lighting, but... ...j'accuse! I'm certain this is my car and these are my mods. For anyone still taking any interest in this thread, whaddya think? Am I crazy? Am I a detective genius? Somebody tell me this is my car...!

I'm going to check that carfax again, maybe I've got mine confused with one of the dozens I looked at before buying.

Last edited:
MYSTERY SOLVED!

...I think!

poking around on google and I think I found an old ad for my car! It matches almost perfectly. The ad is on a webpage here:

http://precycledgear.com/2014-ford-fiesta-st/

The description of the mods seems to dovetail nicely with the mods that I am able to identify, it has the recaros, and my floormats, also there are a pair of cobb stickers in the exact same places as my car on the bottom of the back windows on both sides of the car. But...but! The coup de grace is the description and picture of the scratches on the inside of the hatch door. Check out the last pic in the ad, which is this:

View attachment 17181

and compare it with THIS, which I just took in my driveway:

View attachment 17180

They're at different angles, with different lighting, but... ...j'accuse! I'm certain this is my car and these are my mods. For anyone still taking any interest in this thread, whaddya think? Am I crazy? Am I a detective genius? Somebody tell me this is my car...!

I'm going to check that carfax again, maybe I've got mine confused with one of the dozens I looked at before buying.
Looks like the same car. Get a cobb AP asap and get it tuned. You can get it E-tuned and not have to go to a dyno. If you have a good tune and there isn't anything already wrong with the car it will be very reliable. With an aux fuel kit you could make some serious power.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Tuned by a guy called the "Boost Creep." I'd look for him and give him a call.

OP
deepblue
Thread Starter #38
Tuned by a guy called the "Boost Creep." I'd look for him and give him a call.
I just got done googling my vin (why didn't I think of it before), and found some more old car ads from colorado. I think this is case closed.

Now, to find the "Boost Creep"...[loveboost]

Thanks everybody for helping and sticking with me! I'll be sure to update this saga (perhaps in another thread) as soon as there's more to tell!

Definitely looks like the same car. The Boost Creep may be these guys:
http://www.theboostcreepltd.com/services.html

It definitely has a solid list of mods, but I would not be running it hard at all until I got an accessport hooked up and made sure there was a tune on the car and it's not trying to run on the stock tune because if the previous owner uninstalled the accessport, the tune was removed as well.

As stated, as long as the engine is currently healthy, I would consider putting some new one step colder spark plugs in right before you get the car fully tuned and go from there. I'd also be checking my coolant levels, changing the oil, etc. Like most said, you can do remote tuning with PD-Tuning, JST, Stratified, Dizzy, etc. but it will require you to do datalogs and email them back and forth for corrections. I would anticipate spending around the $7-800 mark for an accessport and a full tune.

OP
deepblue
Thread Starter #40
Definitely looks like the same car. The Boost Creep may be these guys:
http://www.theboostcreepltd.com/services.html

It definitely has a solid list of mods, but I would not be running it hard at all until I got an accessport hooked up and made sure there was a tune on the car and it's not trying to run on the stock tune because if the previous owner uninstalled the accessport, the tune was removed as well.

As stated, as long as the engine is currently healthy, I would consider putting some new one step colder spark plugs in right before you get the car fully tuned and go from there. I'd also be checking my coolant levels, changing the oil, etc. Like most said, you can do remote tuning with PD-Tuning, JST, Stratified, Dizzy, etc. but it will require you to do datalogs and email them back and forth for corrections. I would anticipate spending around the $7-800 mark for an accessport and a full tune.
Thanks for the advice. I'll follow up with the boost creep, and go for the ap and tune as soon as its financially feasible. I'll take it easy until then.